Bio Diesel

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, do any of you know where to buy bio diesel from the pump in Calgary?

Cheers
Chris

700WFO

Reaction score
Currently there is only one place in Calgary to get Bio-Diesel, but the bad news for you is that it isn't available to the general public at this time. The Alberta Renewable Diesel Project is just that, a test pilot project aimed at studying the feasibility of Bio based diesel fuels in a cold Canadian climate. There are also four sites in Edmonton and one in Lloydminster that have Bio-Diesel, but the only people with access to the product are a select few companies that are participating in the testing of Bio based diesels. Also there is two different types of Bio- Diesel being tested, one produced here in Canada, the other is a hydro treated one from Finland, yes I said Finland! During winter, Bio-Diesel is injected into seasonal diesel at a 2% rate, and now that warmer weather is here, the maximum injection rate is 5%. So if you think running on Bio-Diesel is saving the enviroment, then it's time to do some research because you would still be burning from 95-98% hydrocarbon diesel fuel. One very quick look at the cost of producing Bio-Diesel in the 100% form will show huge losses due to manufacturing costs, and we can already see what it's doing to food crops! Rice, flour, wheat and corn have all skyrocketed in price due solely to Bio based fuel production. Until technology catches up to make things smoother/easier/cheaper, then bio based fuels will continue to be an extremely expensive proposition.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...My interest in it is to use it as a fuel conditioner. From what I've read is it works better than most fuel conditioners.

Cheers and thanks again
Chris

700WFO

Reaction score
As I said before, they are in the trial stages and info on performance is very short lived. Prior testing in Minnesota (USA) went sour with cold weather and costs were big for engine replacements on several fleets of trucks. There are vast differences between the two products (bio-diesel) being tested, as one of the bio blends requires no additional lubricity additive to be injected, whereas the other one does get lubricity additive injected into it. It's definately years before one can really take a leap one way or another as to what will work the best under all conditions. Only time will tell the truth!

Thanks for the info...My interest in it is to use it as a fuel conditioner. From what I've read is it works better than most fuel conditioners.

Cheers and thanks again
Chris

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyway - I just bought a "This truck runs on Biodeisel" stick-on for the Duramax down in Seattle. Should come in handy next winter so the granola unchers in the interior aren't giving me the finger anymore. Cost me $50 though and Sierra Club is liketo start sending me membership info.

Top Bottom