Been pondering getting into a Turboed Yamaha

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right now I am running a 2009 Skidoo Summit 800, 154. Stock except, MBRP can, Cudney clutch, 2010 BRP suspension upgrade. I have been thinking of selling the Doo and getting into the Turboed Yamaha 162 or 174, thinking of an Apex. Just looking for thoughts, opinions, and of course what to look for if I go used, and fair prices. Was thinking the 07 in the classified section, but would need to sell my doo and probably enclosed to pick up. My riding style is still pretty conservative to most of you all but I know one thing running in my head climbing is, man I dont want to dig this thing out lol.....

Any thoughts comments, etc is appreciated

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are heavy but point and shoot.....I like the MCX kit since it is very user friendly......turn key and ride......make sure you get reverse....I just put that on mine and make unloading so much nicer........PM me if you are serious about a apex......

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 mcx turbo apex with a 156" x 16 camo extreme. My riding style is more boondocking then climbing. Is it heavy? Yes and no. In a foot of powder it carves nice. Less than that, it can be a tank. It has worn me out a few times but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. As for digging, IMO, once you're stuck everyone of the sleds are heavy. Most of the time we would only have to pull on the ski to get out. But from experience, you try not to dig them down. I do find mine a turn key sled, but it is nice to know how things work in case you need to fix something in the MTns. Good luck, happy hunting, do your homework and you should be just fine. I prefer running pump gas since it's easier to fill up when your in the middle of no where. Pm me if you have any questions...I'm not expert, but can tell you what I know.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 mcx turbo apex with a 156" x 16 camo extreme. My riding style is more boondocking then climbing. Is it heavy? Yes and no. In a foot of powder it carves nice. Less than that, it can be a tank. It has worn me out a few times but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. As for digging, IMO, once you're stuck everyone of the sleds are heavy. Most of the time we would only have to pull on the ski to get out. But from experience, you try not to dig them down. I do find mine a turn key sled, but it is nice to know how things work in case you need to fix something in the MTns. Good luck, happy hunting, do your homework and you should be just fine. I prefer running pump gas since it's easier to fill up when your in the middle of no where. Pm me if you have any questions...I'm not expert, but can tell you what I know.
Sold a nitro turbo. Bought m8 turbo. Rode it one day. Sold the m8 and built another nitro. I cant go back. U may call them 2 strokes light but if u ride a 4 stroke turbo smart getting stuck doesn't happen. U will love yami turbo. RiPsnortn power Mcx is the Only way to go. No dicking around. Other kits are inferior. I have seem that. Over 10.000 km on my turbos combined and never a failure or tow. I do the towing

Andrew

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are coming off a Rev you are going to want the Nytro and the Nytro is a LOT lighter than the Apex, probably close to 100lbs for the 2010-2011 model. With boost you will not get stuck nearly as much as a stocker. How many times a day do you get stuck anyway ? 2or 3 ? .....4 or 5 on a bad day ? A 2010 162SE Nytro is 604 wet and full of fuel. I weighed a 163XP with electric start last year and wet, full of fuel it was 578. Don't get caught up in the hype, if you want the most reliable sled on the snow, lot's of power and no messing with fuel adjustments, just get a Nytro with an MCX setup. Read some of the boosted Yamaha threads, get some feedback from others who have made the switch, not many look back.....except to see their buddies j/k :d

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
I see you live Fort Sask. Stop by and I can go thru any questions you have. We can even go for a ride on a Turbo Nytro so you can compare. give me a call - Darren 780-997-3818

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There you go, apex is heavier then nitros. Talk to Darren, he knows his stuff.

BTW, they get stuck, don't let anyone tell you different. Lmao! It's just more fun getting them stuck compared to a stocker.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks guys.....Talking to a guy selling his 07 T Apex with low km MCX set up.....Gonna have a new learning curve if I go this route....

Fuel

Reaction score
They dont feel heavy when you squash the throttle !!

I can ride my turbo Nytro better in the 6 rides that I have been out, then I could on my TM8 , or Xp in 4 years !

I wouldnt trade my Nytro for anything !

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went from the rx 1 ton to an apex with a side mount boondocker and I find the apex light compare to my rx. Once you go boosted you will never go back to anything else.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about handling on the 07 Apex? Sidehilling, being able to throw it around? I am a big guy

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sidehilling is fun on the sled, and the handling is awesome to throw it around. Might need a liitle more body English compared to skidoo( I haven't rode a doo) but usually in a foot of snow you just lean over...voila!

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am excited and hope that a deal can be found. I just want to make sure I get something awesome.....I have no issues what so ever with my Doo, and have just got it set up perfectly since adding the upgraded suspension. I just hate hearing a bad a comment about it, then I second guess myself lol

400hp

Reaction score
an apex is fine to ride all day....setup is very important...i have a turbo nytro and turbo apex..i ride the apex more because it makes more power...fox shocks up front and m-10 skid with air bags and a jack is in my opinion the best way to go...adjust limiter strap and air pressure in front bag to take some pressure off skis and as long as it doesnt catwalk climbing chutes then your setup is perfect! If your tall and have some muscle dont be afraid of the t-pex...they still work great... just dont go out and buy the cheapest one..do some research and look for one with m-10 skid with good shocks and the jack is a bonus to have also....good luck

Top Bottom