ATV driving regulations ??

northernguy901

Reaction score
My question is can you drive an ATV if your licence is suspended??
If anyone knows the answer please let me Know...:)

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Depends where you are riding.I know Parkland county requires a license.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that you can as the Alberta government recognizes ATVs as a motor vehicle.

"Motor Vehicle" -A vehicle which moves using any sort of power other than muscular power. This includes mopeds but does not include bicycles, tractors, aircraft and trains.

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know for sure but when we have been checked in bruderheim, hinton, and horberg they have asked all of us for our licenses

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that turbo can outrun them cant it???? LOL.

So, what some of you are saying is that if you don't have a drivers licence then you cannot operate an ATV on public lands? What about a for instance 16,17,18,19 year old that never got their licence yet? Can these people operate an ATV??

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it may depend why the license was suspended. If suspended due to an impaired then I would think that any motor vehicle is not to be operated. If suspended for reasons such as having too many demerit points or failure to pay outstanding fines then I would think that there is no reason why an ATV could not be operated. :confused:
:twocents:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
that turbo can outrun them cant it???? LOL.

So, what some of you are saying is that if you don't have a drivers licence then you cannot operate an ATV on public lands? What about a for instance 16,17,18,19 year old that never got their licence yet? Can these people operate an ATV??

Since our son has been driving his own ATV since he was 7 we have never had a problem BUT he is alway riding with us. He still does not have even a learners and we forsee absolutley no problems with him riding an ATV on public lands.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only on private land. On public land same as if you were driving a car on the highway.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I leave my licence home............... on purpose...

Depending on the offence I might be...

Ron Willert, Darcy Johnston,Terry Coulombe, Tyler Geddes, Lyle Moorhead...ect..ect...ect...

And if murms wife asks.....It'll be more than $20

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave my licence home............... on purpose...

And if murms wife asks.....It'll be more than $20

you mean you left it in your truck right:d

my cousins got stoped last year in vega sand hills , half the group they were riding with didnt have a license with them.

dont know what the law is but i know on private land you could drive a rocket powerd quad and they cant do anythin:p

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We have never been asked to show our drivers licence. It may also depend on what the fur and feathers guys see you doing, your style of riding, stunting, things like that. They may want to check you out a little further.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been stoped by F/F many times and never asked for a license , just plates and insurance.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to look at the wording of the actual suspension. You do not need a licence to drive an ATV, but a judge can prohibit you from driving any motorized vehicle on public property. Some pilots have lost their drivers licences, but were still allowed to operate aircraft as the prohibition did not specify aircraft and a pilot licence has nothing to do with a driver's licence under the Highway Traffic Act.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono:If the Alberta Highway Saftey Act does not regulate this, you might want to check out the County OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICAL BYLAWS that you are riding in. Each has their OWN.:eek:
COUNTTY OF ATHABASCA NO.12 Bylaw NO. 11-2009. FINE SCHEDULE, Without a subsisting Operator's liecense, $230.00, Without Vehicle registration, $115.00, Uninsured Off-Highway Vehical $1000.00. On and on:rant:. There is a total of 26 offences that you can receive a fine for, max is for the uninsured. Because it has-not happened to-date, does-not mean it will not happen to-morrow.
No, I am not Lawyer, and I am not Charging you for this information.;)

Ride Safe.:rolleyes:

powder rider

Reaction score
Skinnybitch is right, you do not need a license to ride a quad so you are not prohibited from riding if your license has been suspended under the TSA. This would include serious speeding suspensions, demerit suspensions, maintenance enforcement suspensions etc.... However if your licence has been suspended under the Criminal Code for things like impairds or dangerous driving usualy that is a prohibition from driving a motor vehicle and as stated in an earlier post that includes an off highway vehicle ie quad, dirt bike, snow mobile etc.... When officers stop you and ask for your license it is not because you need one it is because it is the best way to identify the person they are dealing with.

All of this is then subject to Municipal bylaws as stated above which may have stricter requirements. You are expected to know the local bylaws of the area that you are riding in.

Top Bottom