Any idea's with sled

Brojoe

Reaction score
History: Bought sled this fall. 2008 Nytro with MCX 270 kit. Conversion up from 240 kit, before it was stored for a couple years. 1800 kms.

So here's a list of whats been done so far:
Checked/changed all boost lines
Changed out mcx box with new
checked all exhaust for cracks etc
changed plugs
adjusted fuel pressure up to 50# from 43
checked and ensured injectors were working
fuel filter good
disconnected charge tube and mcx box and problem is still there at stock, just not as noticeable
seems to make boost when we turn the dial up, but soon stumbles after mid range
checked and repaired all wires
tors seems correct
doesn't throw a code

Any ideas would due appreciated.
Thanks

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have an AFR guage on it?

Brojoe

Reaction score
We thought about putting a a/f gauge on, but didn't' thing it needed it after we found the problem still existed once the turbo was disconnected

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you get it through the mid range and make it work up top? What plugs you running and how are they gapped? Could be blowing out the spark in boost.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We thought about putting a a/f gauge on, but didn't' thing it needed it after we found the problem still existed once the turbo was disconnected

it would still tell you if you are lean or not, and eliminate the fuel system...does it do it when wide open under full boost?

Brojoe

Reaction score
No I can't get it to get past mid boost. It seems to get worse the higher elevation we went. That video was in Revy ,about half way up Boulder. Not sure what brand the plugs are but they have been changed and gapped.

It feels like a fuel problem, and you are probably right about the a/f gauge. I have not been able to get it past mid boost with the turbo, but when it was disconnected, it would start good, get to mid point, stumble throughout and then carry on through.

Other points: sled starts and idles great, and will drive up the trail till it hits apprx 65km/h. The speed drops as I get into higher elevation

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
How did you check the exhaust? Sure sounds like and exhaust leak.
What fuel pressure reg is on it. It might be a good idea to t in a fuel pressure gauge and watch it when RPMs come up.
Did turning up fuel pressure make it better or worse?

Brojoe

Reaction score
How did you check the exhaust? Sure sounds like and exhaust leak.
What fuel pressure reg is on it. It might be a good idea to t in a fuel pressure gauge and watch it when RPMs come up.
Did turning up fuel pressure make it better or worse?

We did a visual inspection on the exhaust, as they do tend to crack, but all seemed well with it. I thought that if there was an exhaust leak it would still run good, but would loose boost near the top end, not near the mid point.
We put at tee in with a gauge and at idle was putting out 53#'s. It started out at 43# but we turned it up to make sure the pump wasn't weak. Adding the fuel didn't seem to make a difference.

JDen

Reaction score
Mine ran similar to that when I put on a Teth-Air wireless tether, was drawing too much power from somewhere wouldnt fire the secondary injectors properly. Never looked into the problem, just took off the Teth-Air and threw it in the garbage. Never a problem since.

NM

Reaction score
Mine ran similar to that when I put on a Teth-Air wireless tether, was drawing too much power from somewhere wouldnt fire the secondary injectors properly. Never looked into the problem, just took off the Teth-Air and threw it in the garbage. Never a problem since.
It is always a good idea to eliminate a tether, rollover valve, or any other aftermarket device that is tapped in to ignition or electrical system.

08nytro

Reaction score
Is that rollover light supposed to be on all the time? And what is your rpm?

Sent from my iPad using

Brojoe

Reaction score
The light is for the yama heated handle bars. I couldn't say what the rpms are for sure.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you check the battery voltage....it should be at 12.3-12.8 volts at rest.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if its below 12 the battery is weak

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sounds like its hitting the rev limiter, check your spring in clutches make sure they are ok,have you ever change the primary or secondary springs?change anything in the clutching or increase boost.

NM

Reaction score
I just listened to both vids for the first time. It is definitely ignition cutout so not fuel related. It is possible that it's rev limiter, but that should only happen if the clutching is way out to lunch. I realize the vid was at lower elevation. Does it do it as bad at high elevation?
You should return the fuel pressure back to where it was if you have not already done so. 50 PSI is way too much.
Ride it again and really watch the RPMs. If it goes over 9k then that is your problem.
We have clutch kits for those sleds if you need some help.

Top Bottom