Any Heavy Equipment Operators Here?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think I'm going to run Hoe for a pipeline company right away here, they want me to use my own truck to haul my fuel. The money is good so no complaints there, but how big of slip do I need?

Found one 80 US gallon that's a toolbox/slip tank combo where the pump is contained within the toolbox. Has a plastic liner, 9gallon per minute GPI pump, all stainless steel checker plated. They want around $2000 including installation and will wire it through a switch on my dash.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9 gallon a minute is a slow pump. 15 gallon a minute is nicer sized pump. 80 gallon tank would be fine for a 300 size hoe for 12-14 hours. Much bigger hoe you'll probably want a bit bigger slip tank.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are gonna want a tank that if you forget to fill your truck and the hoe that the slip is big enought to fill both(assuming your running a diesel trunk). remember that most excavators have at least a 300L tank. personaly i would not go any lower then a 450L slip tank and i'd spring the cash for the faster flow rate. this is alberta it can get mighty cold out when your standing on top of a excavator filling it up, also if you do get the larger flow rate dont forget to upgrade/match the hose size to the larger flow rate... a 3/4hose with a 15 or smaller gpm. and a 1 inch hose and nossle with 20 gpm

But really it does depends on what you want to do with the rest of your truck bed ... if you need the space then smaller is better. if not bigger is better

Another thing to consider is how far away the fuel station is. If its between your home/hotel/camp no big deal fill a smaller tank everday. but if your 60k(or more) away from a station consider filling a larger tank every second or third day. Could save you an hour or more driving time. Remember a hard running / flat out machine can burn through a full tank of fuel in a 10 hour shift.

One more thing to consider is the weight limits of you truck obviously smaller trucks can't handel the weight of a larger sliptank, if you got a 1-ton no worries

just some food for thought

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to go over 100 Gallon if I don't have to so I can plumb it directly into my trucks fuel tank legally, but I probably want to get it on the bigger side of things.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100 gallon is the most common run by the guys I've worked with over the years and that's what I use. And like what was said already minimum 15l per min or bigger for a pump especially if running a fuel filter on it.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100 gallon is the most common run by the guys I've worked with over the years and that's what I use. And like what was said already minimum 15l per min or bigger for a pump especially if running a fuel filter on it.

15 Gallon per minute or 15 litre per minue?

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remember if your gonna tie it dirrectly into your fuel system highway vechles can not leagaly run dyed diesel so first make sure that the company only uses clear diesel

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
or put farm plates on the truck....

remember if your gonna tie it dirrectly into your fuel system highway vechles can not leagaly run dyed diesel so first make sure that the company only uses clear diesel

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any pump in particular? I heard fill right are garbage. The necks snap on them.

ive only ever used fill right and never had a problem with them. they are what most companys use. i would imagine price plays a part in the decision but i will addmit the GPI's do seem like a better/smaller setup as well some models can be wired backwards and instead of pumping can be used for suction.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
workin in the patch i highly doubt youll ever be running anything big enough thatll take more than 100 gallon, most hoes seem to be 250-450 at the biggest for what ive seen and if by chance ur runnin anythin bigger therell be other guys on the crew with xtra fuel to help top you up at the end of the day. Itll do you just fine

Top Bottom