Advice on Lengthening an Edge 144"-159"

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '04 RMK 800-144" and want to lengthen the track. Originally hoping for an increase to 151" but the prices are better for a Series IV 159". I will have to lengthen the tunnel as only a 151 & 159 share the same tunnel. So what about rail extensions? Should I go with a full 7.5" extension for 144-159"? Or add about a 4" extension + extrovert drivers + move entire skid back in chassis ~ 2".

Anyone done either of these?

Do I need to add a backing plate (strengthen the tunnel) if I move the suspension back to accomodate the extroverts? And how does the sled ride with suspension moved back?

While asking...which extro's...Avid?

Thanks

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I did a simular upgrade to my 01 RMK this year. 151 to 159.
1. Keep the 9 inch drivers, but go to the Avid External drives.
2. Go to the 4" extensions with a bigwheel kit and move the track back if required. Keeping the 9" drivers and the big wheel kit will give you less rolling resistance.
3. If possible, go to the 16 inch wide track. The extra flotation is like running an extra 4" longer track.
4. Review chaincase gearing after the upgrade, your local polaris dealer can tell you what gears to use.

I've been very happy with the results of this set up on my 800 RMK. Unfortunately due to a blown motor I haven't spent quite as much time running it as I'd hoped. This weekend in McBride I'm gonna let 'er rip.

This is a great upgrade and you'll really like the results.

I have an '04 RMK 800-144" and want to lengthen the track. Originally hoping for an increase to 151" but the prices are better for a Series IV 159". I will have to lengthen the tunnel as only a 151 & 159 share the same tunnel. So what about rail extensions? Should I go with a full 7.5" extension for 144-159"? Or add about a 4" extension + extrovert drivers + move entire skid back in chassis ~ 2".

Anyone done either of these?

Do I need to add a backing plate (strengthen the tunnel) if I move the suspension back to accomodate the extroverts? And how does the sled ride with suspension moved back?

While asking...which extro's...Avid?

Thanks

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a brand new tunnel ext.for sale i believe it is for 144 to 159" i have to look again. still has the plastic wrap on it. bought it from cycle works and haven't been back to take it back. it is for the edge platform pm if you are interested
- go with avid drivers - if you do go with avid drivers move the skid back, so you have clearance for the drivers. it think mpp has the best rail extensions i have seen and the new ones are offset for big wheels so you can still use stock axle
- yes add a backing plate or you will oval the holes in no time. i did the same to mine but i went from 151 to 159"

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll have two summer projects, making my RMK a 159" 9from 144) and changing a track on an 81 JD Liqufire and rebuild its skid.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
If you have any questions along the way, please get to one of us. I made posts while doing my project and there is a wealth of info offered by the fellow members.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info. I'll have two summer projects, making my RMK a 159" 9from 144) and changing a track on an 81 JD Liqufire and rebuild its skid.

papafinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would be more than willing to help as well. Did the exact mod you are speaking of with a few extras along with it. Definately are going to want an anti-stab bar. Tried to run without and buddy went over the handle-bars. LMAO

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe that you only need the anti stab kit if you cut the tips of the rails off. i moved my suspension back instead and haven't had any problems. knock on wood

papafinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe that you only need the anti stab kit if you cut the tips of the rails off. i moved my suspension back instead and haven't had any problems. knock on wood

do u have anti ratchett drivers. I do and had to cutt my rails off. i went to a 9 tooth driver though

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i do have extrovert drivers, didn't cut the tips off. just moved back the suspension instead and went with longer track

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Here are photos of my 151 - 159 upgrade when completed.

Attachments

• IMG_8795_1.jpg
    IMG_8795_1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_8797_1.jpg
    IMG_8797_1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 131

papafinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just extended mine because I plan on adding a completely different skid in the next yr or too. Am happy with the current mod though.
DSCN2049-1.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN2043-1.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN2052-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Top Bottom