4x4 troubles with my bogger :(

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need some opinions!

I got an 89 ferd f250 7.3 diesel I am building as a bogger. From the day I got it the 4x never worked. Front drive shaft turns, T case acts like your in 4x, it gears down and such, but the front wheels do nothing. If you put it in 2wd and lock the hubs and hit say 50 or more it makes a grinding noise, sounds like busted teeth bouncing around, so I took the diff cover off and the previous owner didn't lie when he said he had it rebuilt recently, looks brand new inside. I locked the hubs and put it in 4 high with the cover off and had someone roll it back and forth slowly and it looked like everything was in working order. Took the hubs off and went through them, everything seems good, clean, and functional there. so now I'm a little stumped. I got a few ideas to test the hubs, a buddy said to put it in 2wd, lock the hubs, and see if I can turn the ujoints at the steering knuckle, thats my next step. Anymore Ideas? thanks y'all

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the transfer case shift fork. The 4 low fork and collar wear causing gear clash. Drain the T case and see if the fluid is black and contains filings. Its a easy fix.

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the filler cap and I see metal shavings, and if you put it in 4low and turn the drive shaft you can feel it catching but seems like its not enough to grab if that makes sense. Buy a whole t case or can I repair this one?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a rebuilt or repair the current one

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picking up a used t case from the salvage yard this week

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your from passenger axle shaft. There is a slip yoke in it, if your truck has the TTB front suspension. Known to strip out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom