2016 Arctic Cat Demo Rides

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Works very well. You can be just crawling along on a side hill and then turn up hill and let that 3" go to work! Handled very well in the tight trees.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
20150315_151212.jpg

Sara took it for a test ride yesterday too, says she really enjoyed it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
there were a lot of miles on the hill yesterday. didn't hear anyone say one thing bad about it.

Tyler looks to me like you will be buying one in the near future

Not me Ron, maybe her...... not sure a 3" track will be great for the trails here in AB.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the body panels themselves look tucked in more. Maybe the new stance gives that "illusion" lol

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any more info on the 16would be great was their any fresh snow to ride them in ?
I posted this in the chat section, but here goes... I had a chance to throw a leg over the 2016 at Allen Creek on Sunday, maybe 40 minutes of ride time. Cat has done a great job with the new sled, the proclimb chassis has definitely evolved from previous years. The front end has gotten the most attention, I rode one in the middle position (37").The sled carves on edge a lot better, the new ski floats well and has good control in the snow we were in (I rode it in 18" of fresh over a decent base when climbing, and also in the softer stuff in the trees). Between the new skid and the 3" track, the machine pops out of the snow quickly and planes on top, no trenching. Climbs like a billy goat. The TEAM clutching calibration was pretty much spot on for the elevation we were at, and works smooth. Fixed post gets rid of the slop associated with the telescopic post, although I wished I had a taller riser. Engine mapping seems crisper, less smoke then previous models. The green looks way better in person, photos don't do it justice (I'm 6'2"). Downsides? These sleds should come with a tether (personal preference), and although I loved the ride and control in the back country, I haven't ridden it on a rough trail, so I can't comment on that. All in all, a very well balanced package and the best stock proclimb I've ridden to date. Pick your color and track length, add a can and tether, set the bar height to where you like it, and ride - you won't be disappointed. A big thanks to Terry at T&T Powersports for the invitation, and kudos to Cat for the improvements to the chassis - this sled works very well. Never weighed one obviously, but it "feels" considerably lighter on the snow then previous models.
BTW, these were not one off prototypes, these were production model 153" x 3" Limited non ES models according to the A/C DSM from BC. I personally would be happy with one of these with a can, tether, and 1-2" taller riser block - very impressed with a out of the box sled for the 1st time in many years.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the chat section, but here goes... I had a chance to throw a leg over the 2016 at Allen Creek on Sunday, maybe 40 minutes of ride time. Cat has done a great job with the new sled, the proclimb chassis has definitely evolved from previous years. The front end has gotten the most attention, I rode one in the middle position (37").The sled carves on edge a lot better, the new ski floats well and has good control in the snow we were in (I rode it in 18" of fresh over a decent base when climbing, and also in the softer stuff in the trees). Between the new skid and the 3" track, the machine pops out of the snow quickly and planes on top, no trenching. Climbs like a billy goat. The TEAM clutching calibration was pretty much spot on for the elevation we were at, and works smooth. Fixed post gets rid of the slop associated with the telescopic post, although I wished I had a taller riser. Engine mapping seems crisper, less smoke then previous models. The green looks way better in person, photos don't do it justice (I'm 6'2"). Downsides? These sleds should come with a tether (personal preference), and although I loved the ride and control in the back country, I haven't ridden it on a rough trail, so I can't comment on that. All in all, a very well balanced package and the best stock proclimb I've ridden to date. Pick your color and track length, add a can and tether, set the bar height to where you like it, and ride - you won't be disappointed. A big thanks to Terry at T&T Powersports for the invitation, and kudos to Cat for the improvements to the chassis - this sled works very well. Never weighed one obviously, but it "feels" considerably lighter on the snow then previous models.
BTW, these were not one off prototypes, these were production model 153" x 3" Limited non ES models according to the A/C DSM from BC. I personally would be happy with one of these with a can, tether, and 1-2" taller riser block - very impressed with a out of the box sled for the 1st time in many years.

Good info......I never understood why Cat only puts tethers on the HCR's and not other models...

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info......I never understood why Cat only puts tethers on the HCR's and not other models...
it is a extreme model. Polaris and cat should follow doo's lead on the standard inclusion.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I am reading, and talking to my dealer,looks like I could pretty much make my 2014 into a 2016. Front end is available and bolt in, shocks will have to be shortened but they have a spacer for that. Already have Powder Pro skis, so don't need the new skis, then replace track with 3" and do the clutches and sounds like I am updated. Unless there is a difference in the side panels? Also think I read somewhere that they changed the front curve on the rails?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I am reading, and talking to my dealer,looks like I could pretty much make my 2014 into a 2016. Front end is available and bolt in, shocks will have to be shortened but they have a spacer for that. Already have Powder Pro skis, so don't need the new skis, then replace track with 3" and do the clutches and sounds like I am updated. Unless there is a difference in the side panels? Also think I read somewhere that they changed the front curve on the rails?
I guess when you do that you still have a 2014 model year if you plan to upgrade to a 2018 if more changes do come out.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The suspension rails are different, necessitating the use of a different front arm as well, and likely the center track shock is a different length as well. Shock spacers in the front a-arms will shorten the shock, but the valving between the float 3 and the Evol shocks will be dramatically different (Evols will have a much plusher ride and better bottoming resistance). The new secondary will require a new jackshaft, chain, and gears also. I'm betting you can upgrade to a 2016 with less cost incurred over "upgrading" your 2014 to 2016 specs...

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You cant forget about the rails and rear skid and rear shocks if it works as well as claimbed and stops trenching then its a key factor and at the top of the list......everyone saying they can upgrade their front end for 1000 dollars if they were going to do this would have already had a kit like BDX or some of the others on the market ong ago that have changed the way the pro handles .......I have a BDX and love it makes it effort less to throw around and side hill!!! The only thing that holds me back is my sled is boosted and even if I pull allthew extras off it with the dealer discounts a 2014 with some add on is only worth 8500-9500 area im thinking EZ ride and give it another year still got a stock 15 back up with less then 500 miles cuz this years snow sucked

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't mean AC clutches, would just get Team aftermarket or similar. So no rail upgrade, but probably $3000 for all of the rest. Maybe not everything that a 2016 has then, but can't see being able to sell for enough to buy new and end up spending the same. Course there is the extra warranty on the new sled, but I am good for that until Dec 2016.

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
I had coupe hours on the new machine and was total pleased with the handling, as mention before climbing was not and issue but the best part was the clutches. After letting few people climb in the back there was good three feet of snow, clutches were only warm to touch with bare hands. I can say never seen that before on any machine, so those Team Clutchs was a good move. A few asked the big question about trail ride....well four trips up the trail which was little rough in sections with whoops (2 feet) were no match for the new Evo 3 shocks, wish I had them at McBride day before. Average on the straight away of 65-80 km no darting. Many say you can just update the front end and way go....price out some shocks and you may change your mind in a hurry. Thx for the great turn out for the guys who showed for Alberta Cycle and T&T was good time and next year even will be better. Don't forget anyone wanting to show check, well worth the extras you get. Great choice to give away a BCA vest style back back plus.......my nephew life was saved this weekend due to Avalanche pack.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the EVO shocks and 3" track are on only on the Ltd, know you can upgrade the track on other models, don't know how much that costs? In any case MSRP 16,099 ( probably do better than that, but maybe not much on a snow check?) plus freight PDI and taxes. Going to have to do with the 2014 for a while. :)

Last edited:

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every dealer i called today were willing to do a 2016 ltd m8000 153 no estart in the 14s pdi and freight included plus gst. Im really thinking im gonna pull the pin on this. Its time for a change from my 09 M8 lol. Everyone i spoke to who rode a demo had mostly positive things to say.
My only gripe is the premium gauge. Its been almost 10 years, update the technology a little bit lol. Engine temp would be nice without having to hold 2 buttons for 10 seconds every time you start the sled. But i guess if it aint broke, dont fix it.
Either way its looking like a 2016 ltd will be sitting in my garage this winter :D

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every dealer i called today were willing to do a 2016 ltd m8000 153 no estart in the 14s pdi and freight included plus gst. Im really thinking im gonna pull the pin on this. Its time for a change from my 09 M8 lol. Everyone i spoke to who rode a demo had mostly positive things to say.
My only gripe is the premium gauge. Its been almost 10 years, update the technology a little bit lol. Engine temp would be nice without having to hold 2 buttons for 10 seconds every time you start the sled. But i guess if it aint broke, dont fix it.
Either way its looking like a 2016 ltd will be sitting in my garage this winter :D

you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom