2015 Standard RMK Cold Shock?

nwoprormk

Reaction score
K here it is..... I live and ride in NWO (North West Ontario for those who are fortunate enuff to say they've never been). Last yr I had a 14 Pro. Had overheating issues on the trail, lakes etc that we ride to get to the pow....even with the scratchers down. I also have a 12 Swichback assault P.E., that has the front cooler. It has never strayed far from normal temps, so after the pro go tweaked and wrote off by my insurance company I decided to snowcheck a 15 Standard rmk....with a c/case and front rad.

Last week when I was in revy I not once had to use the scratchers going up the groomd. 123... all the way. Both guys I rode with on pros had to....as well as stop and pile snow on the tunnels.

Now the issue.... while in the backcountry, especially descending thru the trees, I seen temps as low as 108?? Is this the downside to the xtra rad? Worried about coldshocking the motor.Any help or input appreciated.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
108 isnt too bad. I run 98 with my Pro with a terra alps bypass thermostat setup (many other bypass setups that are similar).

I was concerned with 98 except for the fact that it stays at 98 all day long if i am in the snow, no fluctuations.

Keep in mind scratchers are used just as much for keeping your sliders (hyfax) cool as much as the engine. You should use scratchers anytime on a long smooth surface.

I was running consistant 110-115 last year with no issues.

nwoprormk

Reaction score
108 isnt too bad. I run 98 with my Pro with a terra alps bypass thermostat setup (many other bypass setups that are similar).

I was concerned with 98 except for the fact that it stays at 98 all day long if i am in the snow, no fluctuations.

Keep in mind scratchers are used just as much for keeping your sliders (hyfax) cool as much as the engine. You should use scratchers anytime on a long smooth surface.

I was running consistant 110-115 last year with no issues.

OK thanks. It only went tht low once.....after an extended descent. I undertand they should be down for slider lubrication, but the sled came with 2 sets of idlers as well as scratchers. Gonna loose the idlers as well as the E-Start. Only have it because it was all N/C. Thanks again. Looking forward to next trip....after New Years

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
If you have your clutches engaged engine breaking down the hill you have essentially turned it into an air compressor. The water pump will still be circulating coolant but the engine will not be making any heat. I would not worry about it.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few different ones but all do the same thing, only differences are the housing material and possibly the tstat temp and flow internally.

I run the terra alps racing tstat, there is also one made by powder freaks and engine tech. They are all very similar to brp's (skidoo) bypass thermostat of the etec.

If you do a search for "the $28 dollar upgrade" or something like that you will find a lot of info about it.

borsky

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure on a standard rmk the front cooler is not thermostat controlled and is always circulating. thats why the drop temps while driving down mine did the same thing I wouldn't worry about it to much, it s the sudden change in temps that s hard on engines not running at 108, my pro with the $28 upgrade was opening at 109,

nwoprormk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure on a standard rmk the front cooler is not thermostat controlled and is always circulating. thats why the drop temps while driving down mine did the same thing I wouldn't worry about it to much, it s the sudden change in temps that s hard on engines not running at 108, my pro with the $28 upgrade was opening at 109,

OK thanks. Just gonna rip it then

Top Bottom