2015 snow checks who's got the best "perks" extras...

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Well... Sounds like you need a new dealer then.... I can PROMISE you there isnt going to be 100% markup on ANYTHING in ANY dealers store....I think you are getting confused... There are quite a few markups between production and dealer shelf........ Aftermarket parts ESPECIALLY. Have you ever heard someone say.... "well that costs $10 to make".... That MAY be.... But that doesnt mean thats what the dealer paid for it!!! The price has been marked up three or four times since that point! And MARKUP is NOT what keeps doors open... Customers keep doors open. And any dealer that marks ANYTHING up for a 100% profit is not going to be open very long.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about "totally FUBAR'd rational", I won't get anything off if I don't ask for it! To each their own dude!

BTW, how doo you know what everyone else is paying and why spend $500 if one can spend less?

Apparently I was not clear. The $500 off the dealer gives you is not dealer cost it is shelf cost. If you know the dealer he may give you more. When the dealer says $500 dollar off I expect him to have markup still included to stay in business. For the average person buying a sled they will be getting the discount applied to the shelf price, and for the other comments of 100% markup at the dealer? I would find this hard to belive as my cousin used to have very close ties to a local shop. Markup varies from parts, cloths, X-model, inseason model and aftermarket accessories. If I owned a shop I would not be releasing my markups but they are not what people think. A shop usually gives big discounts when they get clearance rebates from suppliers including the sled manufacturers. There is a huge list of variables that most consumers do not think of.
$500 off for a cunsumer is just that, $500. The variance to the shop's costs can be different from the next person (due solely to customer loyaty or bringing in your friends to buy sleds) so yes one person's $500 can go a lot futher than the next's.
Now that's a FUBAR'd explanation!!!!

K there are lots of variables, man that was hard to get out.

PS
$500 may or may not go very far at GMT.....my favorite store.:boink:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weren't there a few dealers selling oil for $25/jug this fall compared to over $50/jug regular price? Either there is 100 points there or they were selling it all at a loss...

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Weren't there a few dealers selling oil for $25/jug this fall compared to over $50/jug regular price? Either there is 100 points there or they were selling it all at a loss...

or they were buying a barrel of it (much cheaper) and packaging it themselves

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or they were buying a barrel of it (much cheaper) and packaging it themselves

Bought bulk and bottled themselves.... Savings to the consumer for the same oil in the "proper" brp jugs for cheaper .... When their bulk tanks were out, the sale was off....
Funny my dealer has said on multiple occasions there is little to no savings buying in bulk.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny my dealer has said on multiple occasions there is little to no savings buying in bulk.

We tried to buy a barrel at the start of the season and split it between a few of us. I know our dealer well and I trust he is very straight with us. We could save a little per litre, but it was only a few bucks per jug in the end for savings. It wasn’t worth all the hassle. Based on past experiences, reasonable dealer markup is likely in the 35% range. He has to make something and it gives him a little room to move, but not a lot. As for bonus accessories, etc you’re paying for it either way IMO. You’re either getting a good price and little accessories, or paying close to MSRP and getting more in accessories. At the end of the day, I doubt there is much room to move on the price of a new sled. In the grand scheme of things, if they make 10%, they are doing well and 10% profit to me isn’t much to run a business on.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Apparently I was not clear. The $500 off the dealer gives you is not dealer cost it is shelf cost. If you know the dealer he may give you more. When the dealer says $500 dollar off I expect him to have markup still included to stay in business. For the average person buying a sled they will be getting the discount applied to the shelf price, and for the other comments of 100% markup at the dealer? I would find this hard to belive as my cousin used to have very close ties to a local shop. Markup varies from parts, cloths, X-model, inseason model and aftermarket accessories. If I owned a shop I would not be releasing my markups but they are not what people think. A shop usually gives big discounts when they get clearance rebates from suppliers including the sled manufacturers. There is a huge list of variables that most consumers do not think of.
$500 off for a cunsumer is just that, $500. The variance to the shop's costs can be different from the next person (due solely to customer loyaty or bringing in your friends to buy sleds) so yes one person's $500 can go a lot futher than the next's.
Now that's a FUBAR'd explanation!!!!

K there are lots of variables, man that was hard to get out.

PS
$500 may or may not go very far at GMT.....my favorite store.:boink:

Not to flog a dead horse, but all I said was the $500 in accessories that the dealer was giving (in store credit) didn't cost the dealer $500. I suggested that there were 100 points for markup and yes, I agree, he has to make a profit. I think we are pretty much in agreement on the subject. A dealer has to doo what they have to doo to stay in business and be a good dealer and a customer has to doo what he has to doo to get the best deal and still be a good customer!

That is the bottom line! Is it not?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to flog a dead horse, but all I said was the $500 in accessories that the dealer was giving (in store credit) didn't cost the dealer $500. I suggested that there were 100 points for markup and yes, I agree, he has to make a profit. I think we are pretty much in agreement on the subject. A dealer has to doo what they have to doo to stay in business and be a good dealer and a customer has to doo what he has to doo to get the best deal and still be a good customer!

That is the bottom line! Is it not?

Ya we good

Top Bottom