2014/2015 Avalanche Observations

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be a good idea for people to throw up what they have seen slide and where. Obviously the more info the better but this could be a great yearly thread to keep people that aren't riding all the time more informed about what is moving out there.

Good things to note:
- City, Province location is near
- Location (name of area and GPS coordinates if possible)
- Size
- Elevation
- Which slope (N,S,E,W)
- Pictures if possible

Cheers! :beer:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a few good pic's. I'll try to find them 2nite ... maybe

elevation ... alll

aspects ... alll

everywhere and many frequent peelers.

but now its time for bacon and brapp'in ...

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't personally see anything slide or see slides that had already came down on Frisby Ridge this weekend. Saturday we went all the way back to the burn, then did cabin drops. Sunday just cabin drops and no avalanches to report. :beer:

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't personally see anything slide or see slides that had already came down on Frisby Ridge this weekend. Saturday we went all the way back to the burn, then did cabin drops. Sunday just cabin drops and no avalanches to report. :beer:

x2...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of Avy activity today on Boulder. Got 2feet of fresh last night, wet& heavy snow and its sluffing off. North slopes, 1 foot slabs, 35/45 degree slopes, with significant run outs. Very similar to what we saw mid February. No pics sorry.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was at a undisclosed location near Golden, North aspect, Size class 1, 7500ft evelation. It was a calm day and around -10c Then the wind picked up to about 40mph for about 15mins. Me and my friend went to go check out some larger slopes that looked really fun to play on because of the wind loading, but I told my friend there was a high probability that they would slide, so we had better just stay off them. He agreed, so we turned around and he proceeded first down a small feature and it slid(I watched from the top). No big deal as it was a small slide, but had we been on a larger slope it could have posed a significant hazard. The reason I'm telling this story is to illustrate how quickly conditions can change, 30mins prior and that slope would not have slid, a little wind comes along and all of a sudden its unstable. Thats why trip planning is so important, you head way back in the boondocks in the morning when the sun is shinning, a little system blows through and you could face serious issues getting back out.

Any who hope this helps,, I think its a good idea to report near misses(kinda like at work) to help people learn from others mistakes. Thankfully we made good decisions and stayed off the large wind loaded slopes. We did play on some large hills that were safe though ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom