Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have about 20 lengths I can donate problem might be getting it to you

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have about 20 lengths I can donate problem might be getting it to you

I think I've found some in Stony Plain, thanks to Mike Many Numbers..... I'll let you know if I need more, Bawlf isn't that far, I could drive out there, spend some time at "Alberta's littlest Airport" while I'm there.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!

Saturday Night there will be a Burger BBQ for all to partake in.

We will put a donation can out for donations to a charity yet to be determined.

This will take place down at the tent likely starting around 6:30. Times will be confirmed later on!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're looking for a fairly large quantity of rebar to make into "sign posts" Lathe has worked well in the past but we keep having to buy more every year, and a good wind seems to snap it off.

We're wanting to make some 48" "T" sign posts. Probably need 50 by the time we're all said and done but however many we can make to start will be awesome.

Kind of like this:
the sign will be zip-tied to the cross member
View attachment 156308

if your going to be pounding these in along the trails etc, you should be making a first call, not all pipelines are down 6ft. some row's have cables running along the bush lines. if you'd like i could help ya with this, as i know a guy with some equipment. give me a shout if ya need a hand.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
if your going to be pounding these in along the trails etc, you should be making a first call, not all pipelines are down 6ft. some row's have cables running along the bush lines. if you'd like i could help ya with this, as i know a guy with some equipment. give me a shout if ya need a hand.

that's something we never thought about Larry, we've done lathe in the previous years with no issue...... but that is a very valid point.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya lath are somewhat forgiving rebar no, i think you'll be alright but why take any chances, pipeline and cable repair will get very expensive in a hurry, I know a guy, that knows a guy, who's friend can help ya out, just need some billing info. Haha.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya lath are somewhat forgiving rebar no, i think you'll be alright but why take any chances, pipeline and cable repair will get very expensive in a hurry, I know a guy, that knows a guy, who's friend can help ya out, just need some billing info. Haha.

we'll let you know when we're going down next, would be good to have you out for a day.....

I'm assuming you've got oiltrax or something at home you can throw a GPS track into and see where the pipelines etc are?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I can be a charity....I dated a Charity once, she was very giving.....

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!

Saturday Night there will be a Burger BBQ for all to partake in.

We will put a donation can out for donations to a charity yet to be determined.

This will take place down at the tent likely starting around 6:30. Times will be confirmed later on!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we'll let you know when we're going down next, would be good to have you out for a day.....

I'm assuming you've got oiltrax or something at home you can throw a GPS track into and see where the pipelines etc are?

yo that i have, no oiltraxs they don't have what we need, i have the eub pipeline plats for all the areas in province. plus i know the man. hehe will need the day and i can even help with the pounding, although i'm no professional with that. thinking after a few refreshments my aim may be off a tad. hehe,

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I can be a charity....I dated a Charity once, she was very giving.....

I will need your registered charity number, and we will require a tax reciept.... and I don't mean for Brewhouse from Beach Corner Liquor.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
yo that i have, no oiltraxs they don't have what we need, i have the eub pipeline plats for all the areas in province. plus i know the man. hehe will need the day and i can even help with the pounding, although i'm no professional with that. thinking after a few refreshments my aim may be off a tad. hehe,

thanks Larry!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remind me the week before so i don't forget, seems everytime i get plans set up work happens. i also have some flagging tape, paint etc. was out to one of the quad runs a couple yrs ago, more signs are definitly required.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
remind me the week before so i don't forget, seems everytime i get plans set up work happens. i also have some flagging tape, paint etc. was out to one of the quad runs a couple yrs ago, more signs are definitly required.

we're working on that for sure Larry.... we have lots of flagging tape, we use pink tape with black stripes on it (not very common in surveying) Maxwell was kind enough to Donate a case of it to us last year.

We'll figure something out for sure. We don't normally Mark the trail until the Thursday/Friday before the event, unfortunately I have to come back to Edmonton to work on the Friday this year (don't ask) so we'll get it all figured out..... I'm also thinking about putting a "step in" bar across the bottom of these things so they can only go in about 4"

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the black stripe flgging is used in seismic industry, u think four inches will be enough to hold a sign up? think you'll need a foot or so, and step in will be good, although you'll likely still need a hammer. yes friday doesn't leave a lot of time, wednesday or thursday is better, not many out on the trails mid week.

the rebar will work good, only a pain in the azz storing and removal / install. we have used lath and foam pie plates before, worked good, but you need a supply of lath pie plates and a stapler.

Top Bottom