2012 Proclimb Gear Change

Kelly

Reaction score
Just picked up a new to me 2012 Proclimb 162" Been reading a few threads about a 20 tooth top gear change. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if you would need to change the chain as well.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a new to me 2012 Proclimb 162" Been reading a few threads about a 20 tooth top gear change. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if you would need to change the chain as well.

No changing the chain. Call wahl bros. They have them in stock. It's a team gear. Just doing it now

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on what u want for power, whether you're doing any upgrades, maybe look into the hyvo 15 wide upgrade. Pretty sure team makes a kit with the 20t top gear, 49t bottom and a new chain upgrade.

Bigastrk

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but what would be the benefit of going to the other chain setup? I have heard of dropping to a 19 tooth. Need to change the chain to do the swap? Think it's worthwhile? I am looking for bottom end more then top speed. I too just picked up a '12 162".

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but what would be the benefit of going to the other chain setup? I have heard of dropping to a 19 tooth. Need to change the chain to do the swap? Think it's worthwhile? I am looking for bottom end more then top speed. I too just picked up a '12 162".

Stock proclimbs comes with a 13 wide chain. 15 upgrade will be stronger, less likely to break. Those of us who are boosting our proclimbs should look into it. Like I said, depending on what you're gonna be running for power. 19t will be too much of a drop in my opinion. Depends on your riding style I guess. And finally. No you don't need to change your chain for a lower tooth sprocket. Just set your chain tensioner to accommodate less teeth in the gear. A lot of guys say the proclimbs were geared too high from the factory and that's what's contributing to the heat build up on the clutches. Dropping to a 20t will significantly lower the temps, by about 50 or so degrees.

Kelly

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Definately going to order the 20 tooth top gear. From what I've been reading these Proclimbs have a self adjusting chain tensioner, so no need to always be adjusting. Got the mod rod vent kit coming as well. Cant wait to ride this thing coming of an 09.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys I ride with geared them up to the same as a crossfire 2012 (not 13). Gearing down a sled is t always the answer. The 2012 m 800 is geared super low already. I know both my nytros were belt spitters till I geared up. The guy I ride with is amazing with clutching and he had huge success with this.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys I ride with geared them up to the same as a crossfire 2012 (not 13). Gearing down a sled is t always the answer. The 2012 m 800 is geared super low already. I know both my nytros were belt spitters till I geared up. The guy I ride with is amazing with clutching and he had huge success with this.

This is the first I've heard of gearing up. Everyone I know and everywhere I read up on these issues, everyone that gears down to the 20t gear has had major success. Proven to have lower belt temperatures using the lower gear.

killerrf

Reaction score

i would agree with you on the 21/49 gearing is already low. 86 mph top speed at 8200.
now the m1000 was geared too high. 60/60 gears. i believe that was geared for 100 mph at 7400 rpm. gearing that thing down to 55/65 gears was excellent change. 85 mph top speed after that at 7700 rpm with pipe setup. with that sled people said that gear changes was just a bandaid for poor clutching. i disagree.
but dropping one tooth and only dropping 4 mph top speed on the proclimb doesnt seem worth the time to open the case up. with a better tcl for 13 and adjustments made from the 12 models... hopefully belt issues will be gone. with such a tight belt compartment venting will be a must. very tight area.

thekrust

Reaction score
The only time gearing up helps with a belt issue is for guys who are lake/road racers. Meaning very high speed operation for long runs that allow the clutches to over shift and push the belt out of the primary and blow it. The rest of us will benefit from gearing down.

BOONDOCKINDAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you guys think this is a necessary mod for the '12 proclimb. I had a lot of belt and clutch issues last year and am thinking about gearing down. what else can I do that will help.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's actually a guy selling a team secondary for our sleds on Kijiji somewhere in bc, that's what I'm doing. White rad TTCF, 20t gear, team secondary, mds weights, brake rotor cover and frog skinz, some guys are sending their primary's out to get a thunder products 911 clutch cover and spin balanced, there's a long list of things u can do. How many belts u to thru last year?

BOONDOCKINDAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the last count was 6 or 7 belts. plus I grenaded the secondary as well. sheared all four bolts that hold the secondary together. I blew 2 belts that day. should have taken the blown belts as a sign that something was wrong lol but kept riding anyway!

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the last count was 6 or 7 belts. plus I grenaded the secondary as well. sheared all four bolts that hold the secondary together. I blew 2 belts that day. should have taken the blown belts as a sign that something was wrong lol but kept riding anyway!

Wow. Sounds like we have the exact same sled lol. I sheared those 4 bolts off as well and grenaded my secondary up the trail on boulder. I was pizzed!!

heres a link to the clutch I was telling u about. Save ya some money if u were to buy one. If I were you I'd gear down to a 20t top gear and run mds weights. That would be my first choice.

arctic cat / polaris parts for sale - Fort St. John Snowmobiles Parts, Trailers, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Fort St. John Canada.

BOONDOCKINDAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol at least you were on the trail!!! mine blew in monster bowl in eagles pass!!! it was a good thing there was another proclimb there. buddy drove his sled to the trail and brought his clutch to me on another sled. if it wasn't for that it was gonna be a chopper ride!

Kelly

Reaction score
The Cutler secondary, helix and weights look good as well. Anyone on here try them. Also does anyone sell the MDS weights in Canada.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Cutler secondary, helix and weights look good as well. Anyone on here try them. Also does anyone sell the MDS weights in Canada.

I bought my weights from racinstation in Idaho I believe?? Eric is a stand up guy an know his sh1t. Awesome service. I'd recommend anyone to him.

Top Bottom