2012 free ride or summit x

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im going to be snow checking a 2012 in the next month and im looking for some input... I like to jump and do drops so I want a sled that will hold up.. Im wondering if its worth it to fork out the extra 2 grand for a free ride or with the 2 grand i save put after market shocks all around?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think to go with the Summit X, and upgrade your shocks. I believe the X is like 30 lbs lighter than the free ride as well.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, the factory piggybacks arent that great unless you get them re valved. the freeride also has reinforcement. i think i would get the freeride if i was to do it again and get the shocks re valved. its real easy to buy an X and talk about doing the shocks, but when it comes time, it seems like the funds are just not that readily there.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In what way are they not the greatest? I'm not challanging you or anything, but are they valved too stiff or too soft? It's maybe a little hard to believe that, with the ammount of adjustment on these shocks that there is no setting that works well.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with the freeride for the suspension and beefed up tunnel but cant say how well it is going to do until next season.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In what way are they not the greatest? I'm not challanging you or anything, but are they valved too stiff or too soft? It's maybe a little hard to believe that, with the ammount of adjustment on these shocks that there is no setting that works well.

im just going by what Ive read in the forums, guys unhappy with the piggybacks in stock form, but that being said, they are stronger then the X shocks and have way more adjustably. the thing is, most guys wont even touch the settings. you have to know what your doing to be able to dial in your suspension properly. sometimes i say wish i would of got the freeride, then somedays im happy I didnt. i think once i get rid of the orange on my X, and throw on some fox evols i will be a lot happier. either way you go your getting a dam nice sled

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point. If you dont know how to set up a suspension then you wont get the gains from it.

sledheadjoe

Reaction score
Im going to be snow checking a 2012 in the next month and im looking for some input... I like to jump and do drops so I want a sled that will hold up.. Im wondering if its worth it to fork out the extra 2 grand for a free ride or with the 2 grand i save put after market shocks all around?

freeride hands down the new e-tec is a amazing engine. that sled is turn key everything is there and ready to ride.

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my x 163 but if i was planning on doing lots of drops and jumps i would hands down go with the freeride just because thats what its made for and now with 2012 you have 3 track choices on the freeride too

Top Bottom