2012 Dodge or 2013 Dodge

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with a 12 early this spring, couldnt resist the deals on them. Save major cash. No fluids to add is a bonus in my opinion.

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are we talking 1/2, 3/4 or 1 tons, 1/2 get a 13 nicer interiors the 8 speed is supposed to be a lot nicer than the 6 and new headlights. 3/4 depends on what you want there only change is the interior and headlights. 1 ton well 13 new frame, new interior, more power, new transmission(although not new), new suspension, def(nothing wrong with def better fuel mileage, not as much smell sure you gotta throw an extra 30 bux every 10000km youll easily save that in fuel prices.)

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do a 13 for the Aisin unless the 12 was cheap enough to justify building a billet 68rfe down the road.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are we talking 1/2, 3/4 or 1 tons, 1/2 get a 13 nicer interiors the 8 speed is supposed to be a lot nicer than the 6 and new headlights. 3/4 depends on what you want there only change is the interior and headlights. 1 ton well 13 new frame, new interior, more power, new transmission(although not new), new suspension, def(nothing wrong with def better fuel mileage, not as much smell sure you gotta throw an extra 30 bux every 10000km youll easily save that in fuel prices.)

Sorry, 1 ton thx

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picking up my new 2012 3500 tonight the new 13 would be nice
but the deals on the 12's fit the budget better able to get a loaded Laramie instead
of. Basic slt

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want i have a good friend taht is the GM at a Dodge dealership here in edmonton. I can ask to price one out for you to make sure your dealer is giving you a fair price.

Shoot me a PM if your interested.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which one is better? Is the new tranny worth it?

Basically you're asking Urea vs No Urea, I just picked up a 2013 F350 but dodge was my first choice.

Pros and Cons of them both

2013 Pros:

An extra 50 ft/lbs of torque
Better headlights (already mentioned but hey its worth it the old ones were crap)
Redesigned dash (with 8" Nav screen if you so choose)
New Tranny

2012 Pros

Can do DPF delete quite easily
no urea
cheaper ($$$)
Exhaust system is tested and seems to be working well

2013 Cons

New exhaust system that isnt tested. ask the big rigs they are HATING the system on their cummins
More Expensive

2012 cons

same old interior as a 2010
less ft/lbs of torque (only 50 but still)
bigger hit off the lot (unless you get an insane deal)

This is all for the autos though if you go manual then you get stuck with 660 ft/lbs of torque (they detune the crap out of them)

That being said, if it was me? Well i bought a ford because the new 6.7 has been having less problems than the cummins with their exhaust system (granted thats on the exhaust system but still problems are problems) BUT if i had to have a RAM then i'd pick the 2013, Urea isnt as much of a big deal as people make it to be. It gives you lots of notice before you run out and you get more power with it so... That and stock HIDs is nice. Sure i miss my 5.9L Cummins with turbo back exhaust but that'll come when the warranty is up on mine.

Edit: and a New Tranny is nice too, the 48RE (i think thats the 2012 one?) is awful!

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the 2013 tranny a 68rfe? Can ya delete the urea?
the 68RFE is still the basic transmission unless you go with the optional 380hp 850trq cummins then it comes with the aisin 6 speed that they have been using in the chassis cab trucks for the past few years. urea delete is highly unlikely yet as it is new to the rams and with the epa cracking down in the usa you wont see much for deletes for a few years.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me that's the only reason to go to the 13! Is the better tranny. But I just drove threw lacombe dodge , not one 13 had the asin tranny

MXRACER

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2013 3500 SW Crew Cab with the AISIN, traded in a 2010 Mega Cab with all deletes and a Mini Max. I must say this thing tows my 40 foot toyhauler effortlessly with the new tranny. Shifting is unbelievably smooth and the new frame makes for a much smoother ride with a load on. Not much difference without load. No deletes or added HP planned anytime soon. The tranny is a $5500 touch but so far worth every penny.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2013 3500 SW Crew Cab with the AISIN, traded in a 2010 Mega Cab with all deletes and a Mini Max. I must say this thing tows my 40 foot toyhauler effortlessly with the new tranny. Shifting is unbelievably smooth and the new frame makes for a much smoother ride with a load on. Not much difference without load. No deletes or added HP planned anytime soon. The tranny is a $5500 touch but so far worth every penny.

So ya must be able to get both trannys in a 13?
Dodge must have had a pile of the old junk trannys laying around. I think my 08 has the same tranny, so I'm skeptical to buy another! But I'm also chipped, deleted to 600hp and love every part of that. But I think I read where dodge upgraded some of the internals in the old tranny in the newer trucks.

I found a 2012 mega in the US for a pretty good price. I know no warranty but if I bought it I would chip it the same as my truck.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ya must be able to get both trannys in a 13?
Dodge must have had a pile of the old junk trannys laying around. I think my 08 has the same tranny, so I'm skeptical to buy another! But I'm also chipped, deleted to 600hp and love every part of that. But I think I read where dodge upgraded some of the internals in the old tranny in the newer trucks.

I found a 2012 mega in the US for a pretty good price. I know no warranty but if I bought it I would chip it the same as my truck.

Your 08 would have a 48re the 68rfe is a revised 48re with an extra gear. Your 08 doesn't make 600hp unless you have turbo and fueling upgrades as well as deletes.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your 08 would have a 48re the 68rfe is a revised 48re with an extra gear. Your 08 doesn't make 600hp unless you have turbo and fueling upgrades as well as deletes.

Thx
Is the 68 any better? Or are they coming apart too? I don't beat my truck at all, I'm not a race light to light clown. But these trannys still worry me! Mind u I've replaced every front end part on my 08 now! So what's a one more tranny!

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
68 is better than the 48 but still not in the same league as the Allison or 6R140 from Ford.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went with the 2012 cummins thinking of the last year before the ureah would have been a good thing. Great truck but it does not like being used for hunting on back trails in the bush or spring logging roads when sledding, the burner does not cycle properly when idling down the trail. That being said before I turn it into the work truck I will be chipping & exhaust delete. Happy with our truck but I would consider looking at the 13's.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thx
Is the 68 any better? Or are they coming apart too? I don't beat my truck at all, I'm not a race light to light clown. But these trannys still worry me! Mind u I've replaced every front end part on my 08 now! So what's a one more tranny!

68 is better than the 48 but still not in the same league as the Allison or 6R140 from Ford.

Sorry gents but some of your transmission information is incorrect.

In '07.5 the 6.7 CTD began life in HD's coupled with the 68rfe, which is actually a 545rfe substantially beefed up and programmed to use all 6 gears. Pre-'07.5 the 5.9 was coupled with 48re which was based on the old 727 3 speeds from way back. The new Aisin 6 speed is not really a new transmission to Dodge, except for the fact that they used to use the AC68 in the C&C and the '13's use the beefier AC69 which BTW is in a league of their own, ahead of Allison and the 6R140 (shift happy and easily confused - said a fleet owner)

So IF you have an automatic 5.9 it has the 48re if you have an automatic 6.7 it has a 68rfe.

Top Bottom