2009 Polaris 800 Dragon: New pistons, how are these cylinders?

Bobson

Reaction score
Yup, got one. i know, i know. [1]

I was going to install the MTNTK / PMS Fix Kit. Upon taking apart the top end the cylinders were scuffed (I don't know how much is too much). I can hook a finger Nail on these vertical grooves and the exhaust side (In picture) is in worse condition than the other cylinder. Before ripping it all apart: The sled would run not perfect but went up the mountain and down a couple times. Low idle, trouble getting into reverse at times & engine would go into detonation mode i think (limp mode check engine flashing, doesnt wanna go over 6000rpm) about 5 times per ride (8 Hr days). What will Happen if the engine blows with these new pistons? New topend, piston & Rings? or more?
I'm new to the game of sleds and engines and know that dealers love rippin' off newbies. Friendly dealer said they're ****ed give us 3500 and your sled will be good - Ya ... no.

Rebuilt cylinders of ebay seems too good to be true kind of an send in your old cylinder and we give you this . Think these would be done to factory spec or be ovalled out and garbage?

Looking to get some life out of this sled and ride it for a few years if im dumpin coin into it. Open to options, just wanna keep er in budget as much as i can. Thanks guys! :beer:

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact Elk Island Sales in Fort Sask AB. They carry the reconditioned cylinders. I think they will give you a core credit. They are a MTNTK dealer and they know these kits very well.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do the proper fix kit. after its done you will be more than happy with the dragon. if you have the walker evans shocks (non coil) do yourself a favour, get a good set of shocks. totally different machine.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree MTNTK fix kit but sounds like cylinders are done. Can send away to redo nikisil or get re-manufactured mono lock.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, got one. i know, i know. [1]

I was going to install the MTNTK / PMS Fix Kit. Upon taking apart the top end the cylinders were scuffed (I don't know how much is too much). I can hook a finger Nail on these vertical grooves and the exhaust side (In picture) is in worse condition than the other cylinder. Before ripping it all apart: The sled would run not perfect but went up the mountain and down a couple times. Low idle, trouble getting into reverse at times & engine would go into detonation mode i think (limp mode check engine flashing, doesnt wanna go over 6000rpm) about 5 times per ride (8 Hr days). What will Happen if the engine blows with these new pistons? New topend, piston & Rings? or more?
I'm new to the game of sleds and engines and know that dealers love rippin' off newbies. Friendly dealer said they're ****ed give us 3500 and your sled will be good - Ya ... no.

Rebuilt cylinders of ebay seems too good to be true kind of an send in your old cylinder and we give you this . Think these would be done to factory spec or be ovalled out and garbage?

Looking to get some life out of this sled and ride it for a few years if im dumpin coin into it. Open to options, just wanna keep er in budget as much as i can. Thanks guys! :beer:

i have cylinders that are in real good condition.the cylinders are used but in amazing shape. pistons are free.
dragon.jpg

Last edited:

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if i knew they were going to be in such good condition i would have just bought pistons and rings.

Top Bottom