2008 sportsman 500 efi overcharging when engine temp is up

arn2805

Reaction score
As the subject says I am having an issue with the bike overcharging when the engine temp is up. The volts are well within range until it heats up. I have just replaced the stator as the other one crapped out.

I have the fault code 42 (Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Short To Ground) and ( Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open or Short to Battery). I have tried to clear the code and then recheck, but i am not sure if I am clearing it and it is coming back right away.

So im not really sure whats up. Is the pdm/ voltage regulator going outta whack, or is maybe the temp sensor causing so weird voltage draw.( The fan still kicks in as well.) Or is something funky with the new stator.

Any ideas would be great as im am lost

thanks

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are the volts idle cold, volts idle hot? if the batt light flashes, reg is probably screwin up when it warms up.

arn2805

Reaction score
Volts cold are about 13 at an idle and 14.2 at higher rpm. When it warms up itis still within normal range but jumps up to 18 when the rpm is up. I have a new regulator/rectifier on order, so we'll see what happens with that.

Thanks for the reply

Top Bottom