2008 700 dragon Air intake Question

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
Hi I recently purchased a 2008 700 dragon with a rebuilt top end. The previous owner had ingested snow through the intake due to a torn air filter. The Filter is new and looks good However i notice little gaps 1/8-1/16 of an inch around the windsheild/top of the hood area that feeds into the air intake. My Question is should I block these little gaps with something? or is there a poor mans filter that i can construct to place between the intake filter and the base? Any Help we be greatly appreciated.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's what I am thinking of it'll be fine. Takes a fairly big gap for enough snow to get in. Do you have a picture of what your explain? Just so I know that I answered your questions correctly.

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
PB130013.jpg PB130017.jpg The gaps are between the red and black parts of the hood. I will take a better picture when the suns out and i can see what i am doing.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have a look at my dragon tomorrow and see if it has the same gaps. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have regarding the dragon.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could Always take the intake off of the hood and put it on the airbox instead, just a thought. Or add a different air intake setup

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a quick fix , and we did this to my kids 600 we were sledding and git that real fine snow ingested into the air box
so when we went home we grabbed a pair of the wife's nylons and cut a piece out to cover the box , and held it in place with a elastic , till we were able to get some shop time to strip the hood down and silicone all the holes up
even after we just left the nylon there, hope this helps

jay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lift your hood and put a flashlight in the air intake and you will be surprised at the amount of holes, around headlight, winshield holes, headlight adjuster silicone or tape it up. my 700 when i lifted the hood after riding powder the air box was soaked inside.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lift your hood and put a flashlight in the air intake and you will be surprised at the amount of holes, around headlight, winshield holes, headlight adjuster silicone or tape it up. my 700 when i lifted the hood after riding powder the air box was soaked inside.

There's a cover that SLP sells for the headlight dial.

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
PB130024.jpg Hi Polar sled head, when you put the nylon over the the box did it reduce the amount of fine snow going into the air box? I found a massive gap on both sides of the box so i used some tuct tape to cover them up did you do this as well? What kind of Silicone did you use and do you have any pictures?

Last edited:

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
Can the air intake absorb a bit of water? or does that scuff the pistons right away? Did you notice a lack of performance right away when water started to get in the box?

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
a quick fix , and we did this to my kids 600 we were sledding and git that real fine snow ingested into the air box
so when we went home we grabbed a pair of the wife's nylons and cut a piece out to cover the box , and held it in place with a elastic , till we were able to get some shop time to strip the hood down and silicone all the holes up
even after we just left the nylon there, hope this helps

Hi Polar sled head, when you put the nylon over the the box did it reduce the amount of fine snow going into the air box? I found a massive gap on both sides of the box so i used some tuct tape to cover them up did you do this as well? What kind of Silicone did you use and do you have any pictures? PB130024.jpg

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
RV puddy :) I use this for daylight cracks. It's cheap and effective. Sticks to any and everything :cool:

Nylon over the airbox is a nice touch :beer:

Attachments

• puddy.jpg
    puddy.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 114427Hi Polar sled head, when you put the nylon over the the box did it reduce the amount of fine snow going into the air box? I found a massive gap on both sides of the box so i used some tuct tape to cover them up did you do this as well? What kind of Silicone did you use and do you have any pictures?
we used regular grade industrial white / clear silicone nothing special our air box was fine but the snow came in from everywhere on the front clip . we just started sealing till we got everything coming threw thew the air intakes
i dont have any pics as we just sold the sled but i am sure the new owner will be good with it

d.d123rock

Reaction score
Website
abnb.me
we used regular grade industrial white / clear silicone nothing special our air box was fine but the snow came in from everywhere on the front clip . we just started sealing till we got everything coming threw thew the air intakes
i dont have any pics as we just sold the sled but i am sure the new owner will be good with it[/QUOTe

Hi Polar Sledhead Here is a picture of my nylon over the intake cover just want to make sure that i did what you did. Thanks again for the help really appreciated PB130002.jpg PB130001.jpg

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the timbersled intake kit it doesn't matter how many holes are in the hood the intake is sealed with the filter and a pre filter it does get wet in deep snow but it can't get into the engine it is a great setup and it does make the throttle response more crisp

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a flashlight in your airbox on, close hood, it will show any open spots. I dissasembled my upper intake and took the headlight out took some weather stripping foam and went around the headlight and around any edges that fit together and when i screwed it back together it sandwhiched the foam. I also black electrical taped the drain hole under the gauges and the headlight adjuster knob. i also took the air horn off and covered the top part of it in prefilter material, like d.d123rock but the other side of the horn......... Ive burried my sled and filled the under hood in sugar snow and it still managed to get in and bog the motor, but never had the issue in b.c. wet snow.

Top Bottom