1550 miles . 110PSI per cyclinder

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 800. And that is with a 12.5:1 head. I do have warranty. Does a guy ride it till something happens? Or keep monitoring it till it gets below 100? Does anyone know where they usually are after brealk in?

mark4

Reaction score
Your low, pistons and rings are dead, install a piston kit, call Terra Alps and get there thermostat kit as well.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats low forsure, think you'd want around 140lbs. Question tho where did you get your compresion guage? is it a Snap On or did you get it from prinsess auto? Some of the cheap guages arent that accurate.

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats low forsure, think you'd want around 140lbs. Question tho where did you get your compresion guage? is it a Snap On or did you get it from prinsess auto? Some of the cheap guages arent that accurate.

Only way your getting 140 out of a stock poo is by putting some oil in each hole before doing a comp check lol.

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock is 125. Mine hit 110 by 400 miles because of the sloppy design. The piston looked like new but rings had lost some coating. I do agree on the terra alps kit. I got that kit and back up to 130psi.

Or buy his big bore kit for a 1500 more lol.

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dealership did the compression test. And this was in Fort Sask , Alberta

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dealership did the compression test. And this was in Fort Sask , Alberta

If you feel comfortable do the rebuild yourself. It's really easy and only takes a few hrs. I did mine in around 3hrs with a drink break.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My cousin had the same issue on his Pro. He went with the fix kit that everyone is using on the dragons. It works really well. You can get the fix kit for 450 on ebay and thats way less than blowing out the bottom end.

I would go that route for sure. If you need help installing it, give me a call, its real easy. Best way to drink a case a beer.

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Had 110psi after 4800 miles on my 2012 last season running a Stage 3. I have found these engines reliable with no issues, still having 110psi after 2000+ miles on all our Rentals.

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Had 110psi after 4800 miles on my 2012 last season running a Stage 3. I have found these engines reliable with no issues, still having 110psi after 2000+ miles on all our Rentals.

True they will have no issues. But if the guy is putting a different head on and probably can and a few other things he probably wants to get the most out of his sled.

If he was keeping it totally stock with no can or anything I would just say drive it.

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet if he takes his head off and put the stock head on he would be under 110psi. What is the stock head compression ratio?

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock is 12:1 I believe. And keep in mind I do still have a year and a half of warranty. I guess from what you guys is to keep givener and when i take it in for service every 5-600 miles make sure they check it.

H2O

Reaction score
Just like it was posted previously, I would check compression again with two different gauges. Also use only top quality gauges like Snap-on. A few years ago I almost tore down a perfectly good engine because of a cheap compression gauge.

geo

Reaction score
These things don't build good cranking compression when new. They have a hole to help you pull it over. If you didn't have a good breakfast you will show less compression.

Cranking pressure shows very little about the condition of you 2 skt. I just put my finger on the hole and if it blows off I'm good with that check. Then I put my bore scope down the hole and find out the real story.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock 800 poo compression is 108 - 112.... compression testers very and rule of thumb is 10% difference from one side to the other... however on my two stroke sleds if I see a 5% diff I will put the exhuast valves and check for scoring!!! If it was your dealer that did the comp test did he find a problem with the numbers??? If it is on warranty and your dealer suggests it could use a new top end, then I would go for it as he would check out the cylinders for cracked skirts as well while he has it apart....

TKrebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the dealer said that was starting to get low. An also said they'll warranty it when it gets below 100. They also said it should be good for 500 more miles or so.

Top Bottom