09 860 overheating on trail

foghorn

Reaction score
I have 09 860 that overheats all the time on way up trail.Blew crank up and had a complete rebuild on motor and still overheats.Could this be related to the ecm recurve being very aggressive. I have 174 2 1/2 but was same issue with 154 i had on it.I had new tunnel cooler built by Van Amburg that goes right to back of tunnel so suspect it isnt a cooler issue.Can you run without a stat.I do have aftermarket stat housing as well
Thanx Bob

etecturbo

Reaction score
If you just had a rebuild i would suspect possiably punched head orings.or pull out your water pump and check it it might not have got lined up, and chewed the plastic gear up on the end of the water pump

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you just had a rebuild i would suspect possiably punched head orings.or pull out your water pump and check it it might not have got lined up, and chewed the plastic gear up on the end of the water pump
Yep just had the same problem. It was the gear that runs the water pump on the crank slid over and pushed centre seal over started eating oil BAD at the same time.

foghorn

Reaction score
Sorry was misunderstood.I had this issue since i got sled. Last yr i blew crankshaft so rebuilt total engine and went through entire motor and still have overheat issue on the sled.I checked waterpump very carefully when was appart because i knew there was a heating issue from start.Works fine in the deep but doesnt like packed trails at all .

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running a snowflap and scratchers? I know mine will heat up if I don't run either. I also take it easy on the trail and dip on and off of it in the deep snow to help out. And will also pack some snow on the back of the rear tunnel cooler.

foghorn

Reaction score
Yes have scratchers on skis and rails and scab as much snow as possible and have a long snowflap.I can keep the temp down on way up its just alot of work.Thats why I was wondering if removing stat was posssible and if it would help much I always warm sled up really good before riding so not really worried about cold sieze.Just not sure if they can keep enough heat when really deep snow.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I would risk not running a t stat. I know all xp have a lean spot in the mid range and that will help heat it up going up the trail if your keeping it in the 5800 to 6400 rpm range so you have to give it a good blip of the throttle and get the egts down. Those are all the things I do. I've given all my tricks that I've learned from my buddies. And I've also got a ton of venting on the sled. My sled never gets past 4 bars going up the trail doing that.

duch17

Reaction score
Im running a 3 inch 162 on my 860 BB RKT, no themostat, going up the trail my koso gauge will keep climbing in a hurry but as soon as i drop the scratchers on my skis its fine doesnt get above 45 c

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your worried about deleting the tstat get a engine tech stat, or terra alps, powder freaks stat. They will help with your over heating.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 860 runs pretty hot if im not ultra careful with it on the trail too. Engine tech t stat helped a bit. Scratchers, long snow flap and keep in the loose snow if possible has been my best way of keeping er cool.

foghorn

Reaction score
Ya i have engine tech stat on it aswell.Have scratchers on skis and rails.Was hoping there was something simple i was missing but doesnt sound like it.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a 860 still a 800 but I use to overheat lots too. A few things that I did was the engine tech tstat, used propylene glycol as to ethylene ( prop will drop a few deg. But does not last as long), and added some cool aid. I now rarely over heat now, the trail needs to be pretty hard before I do plus I don't even have a snow flap. But I use my scratchers and drag my feet sometimes.
Did you make sure that your cooling system is not air locked? Do you run a tunnel bag if so take it off they make it worse by insulating the exchanger.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I would test the coolant temp sensor I've had a bad one and seen others go bad as well.

Top Bottom