'07 Summit X...crate engine or just top end

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the dreaded 07 rev sitting in the garage and want to use it as a loaner/spare sled. The top end needs to be done, and I have the dual ring pistons and gasket kit to doo the job. Just wondering if I should just hold on to the pistons and get a new short block, because it is an '07 after all, or install and ride the biotch. Would hate to take somebody new out and have the fawking thing lose a crank. Whatta you boys think?

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id throw a new crank in it if you already have new top end gear for it. Brent Lindermann can get rebuild your bottom end with a bullet proof cank for under a grand id bet. Would be a cheaper route and probably more reliable than a new BRP short block. Either way that should be a nice back up/loaner sled for ya.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had the XP down there getting a little TLC. I should give him a call. I wanted to run the XP first to see if there was any issues. You're probably right on that one, good call.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell the cranks are garbage. Two piece I think. This is the second motor in the sled already. Was dumb and replaced the first blown motor with a used `07 motor. Got it cheap from an insurance write off. Not that cheap now I know.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, i picked up a used one last winter with 3000km on it. Dont know if anything had been done to it. I guess I should be worried? Took to Valemont twice this spring and seemed strong.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not where the cranks are put together that is the problem.

It's the cases are to tight at the mag inner bearing.

The way to fix is machine a relief into the cases so when they swell from heat it doesn't over tighten the cases around the bearing it can swell in it self.

It's a machined grove in the bearing grove.

Motts machine outa st Albert did 2 for me and a few for others that I know.

Also sled head racing outa the states does it too ( he's known as big john )
About the same price which was 1000 assembled with a doo crank.

sent from my htc

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leave the key in it and maybe someone will steal it. I believe it was the middle crank bearing were to tight and then let go. Some one will remember.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A fixed right 07 800 r is still hard to beat.
Cause they had more power than the newer 800 r

sent from my htc

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leave the key in it and maybe someone will steal it. I believe it was the middle crank bearing were to tight and then let go. Some one will remember.

Been trying that for 3 years, still got the fawking thing. Hard to sell, so i'm just gonna keep it. Get it fixed right and some of the boys will enjoy it.

Top Bottom