yuk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah think i like th looks of the new corvette better lol

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Ford is also taking cues from Mitsubishi and naming their SUVs after iconic cars (ie the Eclipse). Not sure wtf their marketing team is thinking??

Ford is going full retard. 12 new EV's by 2022.

Last edited:

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good news, now maybe fuel prices will come down, starving markets like the lumber industry and prices fall fall fall.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty terrible. Looks a bit like the BMW X6 with the chopped off rear cargo area

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the while claiming zero emissions except for the plastic , tires , lithium batteries which have to be mined and sucked out of the earth by giant diesel burning excavators, rock trucks , locomotives. What a farce. Yup saving the planet .

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the while claiming zero emissions except for the plastic , tires , lithium batteries which have to be mined and sucked out of the earth by giant diesel burning excavators, rock trucks , locomotives. What a farce. Yup saving the planet .
This always seems to be the point the entitled greenies miss. Everything green or not still takes resources. They are not saving anything

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You have to realize that EV's are the future when it come to transportation on the ground. Even off road heavy mining equipment is going in that direction. Komatsu, Caterpillar, and Hitachi all have E Haul trucks in the works today. These companies are investing millions to develope this tech. Prototype 120 ton haul trucks in switzerland are working in active mine sites. In some cases they will never need recharging due to regenerative braking while traveling downhill loaded and back up empty. Have you ever worked on newer off road tier 4 diesels at -30? They don't run well at those temps and are gay to work on in a general sort of way. Temp issues aside, for example Cat 797 haul trucks 55% of the time there down, is due to engine problems. Add thousands of moving parts to wear out. Water pumps, Fan belts, injectors, adjusting valves, air filters, oil filters, endless oil, hydraulic and coolant leaks. Breakage of support components due to engine vibration. The list goes on and on. Not to mention the 1500L of diesel it burns every shift. I can go on for hours about this junk. There is something to be said about the simplicity of electric everything. It just works. A lot of people on this site remind me of how the steam locomotive engineers of the day used to scoff at the new diesels engines that showed up. How steam would never be replaced. The diesel of the day were underpowered, wouldn't start in cold weather, smoky, unreliable and not liked by the people who had to run them. Where are the steam locomotives now?

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
You have to realize that EV's are the future when it come to transportation on the ground. Even off road heavy mining equipment is going in that direction. Komatsu, Caterpillar, and Hitachi all have E Haul trucks in the works today. These companies are investing millions to develope this tech. Prototype 120 ton haul trucks in switzerland are working in active mine sites. In some cases they will never need recharging do to regenerative braking while traveling downhill loaded and back up empty. Have you ever worked on newer off road tier 4 diesels at -30? They don't run well at those temps and are a pain in the ass in general. Temp issues aside, for example Cat 797 haul trucks 55% of the time there down, is due to engine problems. Add thousands of parts to wear out. Water pumps, injectors, adjusting valves, air filters, oil filters, endless oil, hydraulic and coolant leaks. Breakage of support components due to engine vibration. The list goes on and on. Not to mention the 1500L of diesel it burns every shift. I can go on for hours about this junk. There is something to be said about the simplicity of electric everything. It just works. A lot of people on this site remind me of how the steam locomotive engineers of the day used to scoff at the new diesels engines that showed up. The diesel of the day were underpowered, unreliable and not liked by the people who had to run them. Where are the steam locomotives now?

I think if they can make these work in industry that is great, most mines & other large industrial properties have their own power generation on site. I do believe that the world will continue to move towards electric technologies I see the problems being supply demand on the power infrastructure and battery waste. For the record if I could afford it, I would drive a Tesla, not under the guise of saving the planet but because they are very cool, high HP, AWD vehicles with cool features. (450hp & 470 ft/lb in the model S with 0-60mph in as little as 2.6 seconds depending on the trim level). I think the first thing we are going to notice as the popularity grows is the inability of the power grid to keep up. Apparently the average Edmonton City block (12-15 dwellings) can only handle 3-5 charging stations. I'm not sure how all the charging works, I should look into it, not sure if the normal "trickle charge" stresses the grid but the tesla quick chargers sure do. I'm not against it in principal, I think we should always be looking for ways to do things better I just don't know if EV's are that much "Better". On that note I can't wait to try out an electric sled.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to realize that EV's are the future when it come to transportation on the ground. Even off road heavy mining equipment is going in that direction. Komatsu, Caterpillar, and Hitachi all have E Haul trucks in the works today. These companies are investing millions to develope this tech. Prototype 120 ton haul trucks in switzerland are working in active mine sites. In some cases they will never need recharging do to regenerative braking while traveling downhill loaded and back up empty. Have you ever worked on newer off road tier 4 diesels at -30? They don't run well at those temps and are a pain in the ass in general. Temp issues aside, for example Cat 797 haul trucks 55% of the time there down, is due to engine problems. Add thousands of parts to wear out. Water pumps, Fan belts, injectors, adjusting valves, air filters, oil filters, endless oil, hydraulic and coolant leaks. Breakage of support components due to engine vibration. The list goes on and on. Not to mention the 1500L of diesel it burns every shift. I can go on for hours about this junk. There is something to be said about the simplicity of electric everything. It just works. A lot of people on this site remind me of how the steam locomotive engineers of the day used to scoff at the new diesels engines that showed up. The diesel of the day were underpowered, unreliable and not liked by the people who had to run them. Where are the steam locomotives now?

looks like someone has had a big drink of the EV koolaid! And you need a refresher on the laws of physics if you think a truck will never need recharging because of regenerative braking.
All EV manufacturers have a few things in common. If it’s a mainstream auto/ equipment manufacturer, they have a big conventional side to their business that will support and offset the costs and continuous losses that their EV component creates.
If it’s a stand alone builder (like Tesla) it produces costly vehicles that few can afford and relies on huge government subsidies to incentivize buyers and to provide charging station infrastructure.
Remove the subsidies and tax incentives and the whole farcical battery EV industry will die a quick death.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if they can make these work in industry that is great, most mines & other large industrial properties have their own power generation on site. I do believe that the world will continue to move towards electric technologies I see the problems being supply demand on the power infrastructure and battery waste. For the record if I could afford it, I would drive a Tesla, not under the guise of saving the planet but because they are very cool, high HP, AWD vehicles with cool features. (450hp & 470 ft/lb in the model S with 0-60mph in as little as 2.6 seconds depending on the trim level). I think the first thing we are going to notice as the popularity grows is the inability of the power grid to keep up. Apparently the average Edmonton City block (12-15 dwellings) can only handle 3-5 charging stations. I'm not sure how all the charging works, I should look into it, not sure if the normal "trickle charge" stresses the grid but the tesla quick chargers sure do. I'm not against it in principal, I think we should always be looking for ways to do things better I just don't know if EV's are that much "Better". On that note I can't wait to try out an electric sled.

I agree, I'm far from being a eco nut for the planet. I wouldn't be riding sleds and motocross. if I did, I would be cross country skiing and producing beautiful oil paintings. I'm sick of doing oil changes and mantenance on four vehicles and the kids aren't even driving yet. lol. I will own one soon, The wife's car is getting due for replacement soon and it never leaves the city. One start up company is setting up shop in edmonton to recycle lithium ion
batteries of every size. They are at 90% reusable rate now and plan on being 100%.

Last edited:

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like someone has had a big drink of the EV koolaid! And you need a refresher on the laws of physics if you think a truck will never need recharging because of regenerative braking.
All EV manufacturers have a few things in common. If it’s a mainstream auto/ equipment manufacturer, they have a big conventional side to their business that will support and offset the costs and continuous losses that their EV component creates.
If it’s a stand alone builder (like Tesla) it produces costly vehicles that few can afford and relies on huge government subsidies to incentivize buyers and to provide charging station infrastructure.
Remove the subsidies and tax incentives and the whole farcical battery EV industry will die a quick death.

The difference is that it is carrying 20 tons of ore going down hill taking twice as long to slow the truck down. You can't gain something from nothing. That's the trade off. You're drunk if you think the EV industry is going to die a quick death anytime soon. https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...6/worlds-largest-electric-vehicle-dump-truck/

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The difference is that it is carrying 20 tons of ore going down hill taking twice as long to slow the truck down. You can't gain something from nothing. That's the trade off. You're drunk if you think the EV industry is going to die a quick death anytime soon. https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...6/worlds-largest-electric-vehicle-dump-truck/
I found your haul truck example interesting. It reminded me of a solution proposed for storing electrical energy without batteries. Using electricity from peak production times to pump water into a reservoir that in turn drives a turbine and can be controlled for demand. Infrastructure costs would be huge but would open hydro electric power to areas without the topography.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Read the short article. The catchphrase is “ in one scenario “. In one run, in one mine it worked. What happens when that truck gets to a flat spot, or has to move that doubling in weight UPHILL to it’s dumping point. What happens is that it’s demand for battery power more than doubles because of internal losses inherent in the system.
It’s the same argument for every green energy system. Cherry picking the best case scenario and promoting it as commonplace is disingenuous. When a dispassionate investigation of the facts is done, time after time, the battery powered EV’s of today consistently fall flat because of real world conditions, and will continue to do so because of the current limitations of the existing battery systems.
The merits of a DC motor propulsion system are enormous and can’t be argued against from a performance perspective. Until a viable, reliable, cost effective and environmentally sound method is found of supplying a mobile source of electricity to that system, it’s a dead horse

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read the short article. The catchphrase is “ in one scenario “. In one run, in one mine it worked. What happens when that truck gets to a flat spot, or has to move that doubling in weight UPHILL to it’s dumping point. What happens is that it’s demand for battery power more than doubles because of internal losses inherent in the system.
It’s the same argument for every green energy system. Cherry picking the best case scenario and promoting it as commonplace is disingenuous. When a dispassionate investigation of the facts is done, time after time, the battery powered EV’s of today consistently fall flat because of real world conditions, and will continue to do so because of the current limitations of the existing battery systems.
The merits of a DC motor propulsion system are enormous and can’t be argued against from a performance perspective. Until a viable, reliable, cost effective and environmentally sound method is found of supplying a mobile source of electricity to that system, it’s a dead horse

I did say in (some cases) this will work. Anyways I'm not concerned over the fact that it will need recharging. It's about replacing diesels in heavy equipment. This is an evolution in the works right now. There is no time limit for EV's to stop developing. It will continue and grow. Just like that first ****ty diesel locomotive, it also got better over time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom