Yamaha wolverine

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna try this once more. Anyone have a wolverine? If so how is it for power on hills, in mud etc? Any problems with it?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has no more power than last time you asked....lol . Seriously, it will have great Yamaha reliability ,as well as being severely overmatched in terms of power in its class....it simply won't have enough power to perform as it should.
yamaha needs a 70 to 90 HP twin motor to even be competitive in the sport ute class....
they are not even close with the 700 single....imo

Last edited:

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I myself hope they come out with a sport utility like the wolverine, or a wolverine / YXZ crossover with the 998cc engine in it. Not all of us need to go 80+ mph. It sure is nice to have the extra torque and power when you need it. In a mud hole, towing etc. Don't forget the four stroke reliability they have. Just my wishes.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has no more power than last time you asked....lol . Seriously, it will have great Yamaha reliability ,as well as being severely overmatched in terms of power in its class....it simply won't have enough power to perform as it should.
yamaha needs a 70 to 90 HP twin motor to even be competitive in the sport ute class....
they are not even close with the 700 single....imo

True, but I don't think you really answered his question. He's not interested in how they compete against the competition, he's curious if it'll have enough power to climb hills and go through mud.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he wants to go through mud he needs bigger tires. If he needs bigger tires the 700 won't have the torque to turn them. So he will need mods to the clutch sheaves etc etc.... So much for warranty then! Plus the stock 700 rad is to small for a SXS application....IMO . The 700 Yamaha grizzly ATV is underpowered by far, so when you put basically that motor in a MUCH heavier SXS , I highly doubt it will work...very well !

Everyone says they don't want the fastest one , till they realize they can't even keep up with thier buddies:::::then they are pissed...the current crop of competitors now are right around 100hp.
The Wolverine is less than half that I would guess....

If you want to have it constantly pinned just to keep up( still won't though) then it is the right machine for you I guess......

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like the Rhino ?
The Wolverine is just more refined.
Good machines for what they are. IMO

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he wants to go through mud he needs bigger tires. If he needs bigger tires the 700 won't have the torque to turn them. So he will need mods to the clutch sheaves etc etc.... So much for warranty then! Plus the stock 700 rad is to small for a SXS application....IMO . The 700 Yamaha grizzly ATV is underpowered by far, so when you put basically that motor in a MUCH heavier SXS , I highly doubt it will work...very well !

Everyone says they don't want the fastest one , till they realize they can't even keep up with thier buddies:::::then they are pissed...the current crop of competitors now are right around 100hp.
The Wolverine is less than half that I would guess....

If you want to have it constantly pinned just to keep up( still won't though) then it is the right machine for you I guess......

Baloney, I've seen the grizzly make a whole bunch of people smile and have fun for a lot of miles, even with big tires, they work fine, so do the rhino's. Do some work better , of course , spend more money and time and get better results. Go places where the grizzly and rhino, wolverine can't go, baloney, just go a different way.
If you believe that yo have to spend $ 25 k to have fun on an Atv or Utv , yo may be a victim of that goofy rubber chicken slapping you upside the helmet on some of rides.
Thia place gets sucked into the beliefs that if you don't have the latest, greatest and biggest, you'll suffer some horrible fate and it'll be impossible to enjoy the sport , and that's a crock. Buy what fits your budget and your priorities and needs, hell I've been out with a bunch of guys who've got all the power and clearance and tires, guys in the same group have an old honda 500 quad, we all seem to end up at the same beer and wiener fire stops.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baloney, I've seen the grizzly make a whole bunch of people smile and have fun for a lot of miles, even with big tires, they work fine, so do the rhino's. Do some work better , of course , spend more money and time and get better results. Go places where the grizzly and rhino, wolverine can't go, baloney, just go a different way.
If you believe that yo have to spend $ 25 k to have fun on an Atv or Utv , yo may be a victim of that goofy rubber chicken slapping you upside the helmet on some of rides.
Thia place gets sucked into the beliefs that if you don't have the latest, greatest and biggest, you'll suffer some horrible fate and it'll be impossible to enjoy the sport , and that's a crock. Buy what fits your budget and your priorities and needs, hell I've been out with a bunch of guys who've got all the power and clearance and tires, guys in the same group have an old honda 500 quad, we all seem to end up at the same beer and wiener fire stops.

To each his own....I never said anything about how much to spend. Would you show me where I mentioned a price point in my thread ?My point is comparable priced sized machines will out perform the wolverine due to engine HP...this is a fact! Whether you enjoy the ride, want the biggest fastest cheapest or whatever has nothing to do with my post...sorry if you did not understand that point .

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they got that wet clutch like the rhino? If they do that's a weak point! It's good in the grizzly but not the heavier sxs. My neighbour bought a rhino and that clutch was burnt out all the time. If your going to spend that kind of money I would look at the rangers they are the best bang for your buck. I love my ranger it great on fuel (150km + per tank) and great power, good ride all around well thought out machine! Yamaha does make a reliable machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elsass1

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Wolverine. My wife and I were at Pocahontas at hatfield and mccoys were coming up step grade and hit throttle it felt like a rocket ship just took off. I would recommend it to any one. My wife doesn't like outdoor power sports but she had at great time riding all day and was very comfortable. Friends of ours had a Polaris Ranger and had to quit early because it was beating up wife's back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Wolverine. My wife and I were at Pocahontas at hatfield and mccoys were coming up step grade and hit throttle it felt like a rocket ship just took off. I would recommend it to any one. My wife doesn't like outdoor power sports but she had at great time riding all day and was very comfortable. Friends of ours had a Polaris Ranger and had to quit early because it was beating up wife's back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Ranger is a great machine but you're right the ride is quite harsh , not as cushy as some, but in its defence , that's not what it was designed for.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hmmm I wonder what you would think of a new Turbo...lol

korie83

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the wolverine specifically, but I think my Rzr 570 is comparable at least power wise. I have never had an issue (yet) where I couldn't go where I wanted due to a lack of power. In fact I've climbed steep sandy hills where a friends 800 Rzr S struggled. And that is with two large adults riding and turning 27" Bighorn tires.

From what I understand the wolverine may have slightly better stock shocks, but not as sporty of ride as the Rzr. I think if you are considering the Wolverine you should check out the Rzr 570, it's a very impressive machine for the money.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have experience with the wolverine specifically, but I think my Rzr 570 is comparable at least power wise. I have never had an issue (yet) where I couldn't go where I wanted due to a lack of power. In fact I've climbed steep sandy hills where a friends 800 Rzr S struggled. And that is with two large adults riding and turning 27" Bighorn tires.

From what I understand the wolverine may have slightly better stock shocks, but not as sporty of ride as the Rzr. I think if you are considering the Wolverine you should check out the Rzr 570, it's a very impressive machine for the money.

Thanks for for the input, but I'm not interested in Polaris. To me they're like dodge trucks. They've got some interesting design ideas but the materials and build quality are poor.

Top Bottom