Yamaha Nitro or Skidoo Summit X Etech

zannydo

Reaction score
Enjoyed reading all the posts, old guy been riding mountains for years, love to boon dock in deep powder, not much of high marker. Was a fairly loyal Yammie guy until I bought a new 08 Nytro, liked the riding position, hated the lack of power, track angle, weight, bought my first Doo last year, a used 08 with no miles. love how it handles and I can't seem to get it stuck. At 1200km, (was properly maintained), the chain snapped in half a km 8. Big damage $1000,. Friends all ride Doos, I have pulled them home on a few occasions, 3800km and going on 2nd engine rebuild? Time for new sled, I was this close to snow checking 2013 800 etec Summit X, with electric start and 3yr warranty gonna be pushing $15000 with GST, or 2011 New Nytro(apparently they have changed the track angle) can be picked up, in the $10000 range with GST, can get 180hp turbo out of states and install for $3000, gonna be under $14000 for turbo Nytro. what should an old guy do? would be fun to catwalk up the hill but will it perform as well as the Doo, will the doo fall apart in two years?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed reading all the posts, old guy been riding mountains for years, love to boon dock in deep powder, not much of high marker. Was a fairly loyal Yammie guy until I bought a new 08 Nytro, liked the riding position, hated the lack of power, track angle, weight, bought my first Doo last year, a used 08 with no miles. love how it handles and I can't seem to get it stuck. At 1200km, (was properly maintained), the chain snapped in half a km 8. Big damage $1000,. Friends all ride Doos, I have pulled them home on a few occasions, 3800km and going on 2nd engine rebuild? Time for new sled, I was this close to snow checking 2013 800 etec Summit X, with electric start and 3yr warranty gonna be pushing $15000 with GST, or 2011 New Nytro(apparently they have changed the track angle) can be picked up, in the $10000 range with GST, can get 180hp turbo out of states and install for $3000, gonna be under $14000 for turbo Nytro. what should an old guy do? would be fun to catwalk up the hill but will it perform as well as the Doo, will the doo fall apart in two years?

The Yammy hasn't lost any weight since the last time you owned one unfortunately. If you liked the 08 Summit you will love the 2013 with the narrow 36 inch ski stance and the new T motion rear suspension. Makes older guys like us look like younger guys till we take off our helmets and show off our grey hair. Lol.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with a girl with a 180 kit and no cat walking up the hills, maybe 240 but for sure the 270 kit will. Good luck

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed reading all the posts, old guy been riding mountains for years, love to boon dock in deep powder, not much of high marker. Was a fairly loyal Yammie guy until I bought a new 08 Nytro, liked the riding position, hated the lack of power, track angle, weight, bought my first Doo last year, a used 08 with no miles. love how it handles and I can't seem to get it stuck. At 1200km, (was properly maintained), the chain snapped in half a km 8. Big damage $1000,. Friends all ride Doos, I have pulled them home on a few occasions, 3800km and going on 2nd engine rebuild? Time for new sled, I was this clos

e to snow checking 2013 800 etec Summit X, with electric start and 3yr warranty gonna be pushing $15000 with GST, or 2011 New Nytro(apparently they have changed the track angle) can be picked up, in the $10000 range with GST, can get 180hp turbo out of states and install for $3000, gonna be under $14000 for turbo Nytro. what should an old guy do? would be fun to catwalk up the hill but will it perform as well as the Doo, will the doo fall apart in two years?

My spare sled is a low boost mcx. It's been beat hard for 7000 km in The ditches of Alberta and if there's no pow in the alpine I will ride it then.
. Its Never missed a beat. And 180 hp at altitude makes it a really fun sled. But as snow pro says it's still heavy and more work to ride. It has a 153 track and is alot easier on the body than my 162 nitro 270. But if easy on the body is what u seek it may be more work than your looking for

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with a girl with a 180 kit and no cat walking up the hills, maybe 240 but for sure the 270 kit will. Good luck

No disrespect but I think there is something wrong with her sled or she is not hitting the fun handle hard enough. I'm 230 and the 180 kit will lift the skis 2.5 ft in the air with me on it at 6500 ft going up hill. Maybe its the setup of that specific sled but in the Nytro chassis if you are standing forward near the footwells, the 180 kit easily has the power to walk up the hills with the skis up. Stills runs on pump gas and you only open the panels to check the oil - the 180 kit is a great set up.

Sounds like zannydo is confused ........he says he is a boondocker and not much of a highmarker.....but wants to catwalk up the hill? boondocking doesn't need huge power and if you are catwalking when boondocking there is gonna be carnage, again the 180 kit is a great set up and I wish yammy would offer it direct from factory, but if you are really a big boondocker then go Doo.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless you plan on turbo'ing the nitro. i wouldnt even consider it.
Your right. I am truely prejudice against everything that isn't a DOO, but in this case the yami's aren't worth it if you aren't going to turbo it. They are gutless and are like riding a 550 fan in 3ft of fresh.

Top Bottom