Yamaha Nitro or Skidoo Summit X Etech

woody44

Reaction score
Which one would be the better purchase? I have an 08 XP. Thinking of getting a new sled - Yamaha Nitro or Skidoo Summit X Etech - which would you buy? and why?

Thanks!

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless you plan on turbo'ing the nitro. i wouldnt even consider it.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it all depends on what you wanna do to the sleds..

i own a nytro turbo, and i rode for 3 weeks last year the e-tec.

the nytro all done up is an amazing sled, handles wicked, cant beat the power, and after 18000km this weekend is the first weekend ive ever broke a part.. the sled has never let me down..

the e-tec handles exactly like my nytro. wicked feel to it asweosme power. i think they are both great sleds.

if you do wanna mod up a sled that has some good power.. and if affordable go with the nytro. even a 180HP kit on a nytro the xp truely cant keep up.

you have to spend alot of money to get HP out of a two stroke and even so dont gain alot of power. 10-15hp on a 4 - 5000$ price tag. there is alot of things to look at..

get a leg over both for a weekend if you can and then decided from there.

you cant go wrong with either sled. just if you wanna spend money on mods. the Nytro is the way to go. just for the sure relyablility with hp added to it and you get your moneys worth.

my nytro rearly climbs shoots. i love boondocking and the trees and its not too heavy to do anyof it. if anything its just as fun because you can get yourself out of situations that would get other sleds stuck just cuz of power.

anyways good luck with that. if you wanna get a ride on a nytro yes its trubed. keep in touch as i go out all the time.. and i also ride wiht guys that have 2011 e-tecs as well. so you could get on both.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it all depends on what you wanna do to the sleds..

i own a nytro turbo, and i rode for 3 weeks last year the e-tec.

the nytro all done up is an amazing sled, handles wicked, cant beat the power, and after 18000km this weekend is the first weekend ive ever broke a part.. the sled has never let me down..

the e-tec handles exactly like my nytro. wicked feel to it asweosme power. i think they are both great sleds.

if you do wanna mod up a sled that has some good power.. and if affordable go with the nytro. even a 180HP kit on a nytro the xp truely cant keep up.

you have to spend alot of money to get HP out of a two stroke and even so dont gain alot of power. 10-15hp on a 4 - 5000$ price tag. there is alot of things to look at..

get a leg over both for a weekend if you can and then decided from there.

you cant go wrong with either sled. just if you wanna spend money on mods. the Nytro is the way to go. just for the sure relyablility with hp added to it and you get your moneys worth.

my nytro rearly climbs shoots. i love boondocking and the trees and its not too heavy to do anyof it. if anything its just as fun because you can get yourself out of situations that would get other sleds stuck just cuz of power.

anyways good luck with that. if you wanna get a ride on a nytro yes its trubed. keep in touch as i go out all the time.. and i also ride wiht guys that have 2011 e-tecs as well. so you could get on both.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an xp and a nytro turbo. The xp sits in the trailer, never rode it once last year. A stock 10 or 11 nytro will not keep up to an etec, but a nytro with even a 180 kit will easily handle any stocker or modified stocker.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ride em both first........ nytro is heavy but the power is there when it's set up right.........never hear many people who own em say they didn't like em.......

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know why people still ask these questions? What do you want? Ride them both, and then pick one. I would say the XP because I LOVE SKI DOO! Nitro's are heavy and suck. haha. How's that.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you plan to turbo the nytro then go that route. if you want to ride stk. ski doo all the way. ive had an xp and i run a turbo yammie now. xp is a fun sled to ride stk.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, with the 800 e-tec you can put gas in one hole, oil in the other, press a button and rip up the mountain:d:d. The Nytro in stock form its a heavy, and underpowered. Now throw a turbo(3 grand ?), shave off 50lbs( 3 grand ?), and suspension and a 2.5 or 3 inch track( 4 grand) on a Nytro and its a different story.
You really should not compair the 2 sleds, apples to oranges.
if you knew how much guys spend on a pimped out turbo nytro:eek::eek::eek: you could buy a used mastercraft wakeboard boat and fill it full of hot chicks all summer for the price of a well built yammie turbo...:d:d:d:d

lagrek

Reaction score
Nytro's sit higher in the front. Stock-can't beat the e-tec Modded- can't beat the fourstrokers...I ride a 08 Nytro SS (slightly supercharged) I am a 250 pound guy and love the Yammies....just my opinion

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy to settle this........ get a Pro RMK, its a better sled than both, put together, with a bacon plate between them smothered in jack daniels sauce and peanut butter!!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easy to settle this........ get a Pro RMK, its a better sled than both, put together, with a bacon plate between them smothered in jack daniels sauce and peanut butter!!

Stop drinking the bong water:nono:

STOLLER99

Reaction score

there is one of these with the engine blown at the dealer, but they said it was really fast when it runs.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. Didn't know anyone who rode an 800e-Tec for three weeks last year. They were only out to test dealers for short periods of time. Was it an 800R non-e-tec, a 600 e-Tec, or what/how?
2. Watched the proto e-Tec 800 154 clearly out run a decent turbo'd "only" Nitro in North Dore late last season. e-Tec about $15,000, Nitro about $20,000, needing another $7000 to $10,000 of parts added in to show it's worth. I've got respect for them fully done up, but the question then becomes one of bucks.
3. The e-Tec ate up the whole playground the two days I rode with it, and came back with full fuel in it's caddy. The Nitro ran to and stayed at the first decent competition hill it found. How long can you run the Turbo on it's tank of fuel, and then where do you not get to go while others are carving up the back-country??
4. I believe it becomes a matter of which kind of fun you are looking for, and for what price.....

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. Didn't know anyone who rode an 800e-Tec for three weeks last year. They were only out to test dealers for short periods of time. Was it an 800R non-e-tec, a 600 e-Tec, or what/how?
2. Watched the proto e-Tec 800 154 clearly out run a decent turbo'd "only" Nitro in North Dore late last season. e-Tec about $15,000, Nitro about $20,000, needing another $7000 to $10,000 of parts added in to show it's worth. I've got respect for them fully done up, but the question then becomes one of bucks.
3. The e-Tec ate up the whole playground the two days I rode with it, and came back with full fuel in it's caddy. The Nitro ran to and stayed at the first decent competition hill it found. How long can you run the Turbo on it's tank of fuel, and then where do you not get to go while others are carving up the back-country??
4. I believe it becomes a matter of which kind of fun you are looking for, and for what price.....
We had the prototype 2011 154 e-tec 800 at our shop to ride/demo for the whole month of April, we took it out to Gorman and Quartz a few times. A&E had it for most of March and May and all of summer too. FYI different sales reps/regions between North and South Alberta, who have different demo fleets.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know until now that anyone had one that long.
The one we rode with worked beyond expectations, and I hear the upgrades thru the summer have improved them further.
Will see that soon.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just to clear up a bit of info. 2010 nytro with a 180 kit that will run much stronger than an etec or an 860 is in the $17,000. And as far as mileage my mcx 270 kit uses about 20-30% less fuel per day than my xp. I pack a 20 litre Jerry can and rarely use more than half of it other than spring.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clear up a bit of info. 2010 nytro with a 180 kit that will run much stronger than an etec or an 860 is in the $17,000. And as far as mileage my mcx 270 kit uses about 20-30% less fuel per day than my xp. I pack a 20 litre Jerry can and rarely use more than half of it other than spring.

the 180 kit pulls just as hard off the line as the 240 kits. just signs off earlier. and i dont think my turbo eats anymore fuel then my xp did.

Top Bottom