xp owners with belt problems

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
You might all know already but for what its worth BRP is replacing all belts on the xp that show any kind of trauma. My dealer just replaced two of mine. One of which I knew was hooped because of a loose cord but the other they replaced had no damage that I could see but they said it was burnt. Apparently there is a "new" belt type being released by BRP for the new xp that is supposed to be bullet proof. It won't be here untill the end of feb so untill then they are going to warranty them. Save all broken belts.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D My new 800xr-163 has 600miles=1000km's with the first belt still on it...but i am running the screen kit from Specialty...get a kit and dont worry about belts,,,also make sure your clutching is right...:twocents:

newfiebullet

Reaction score
hey talked to my dealer he said he thought it was only for summit....i said whats the difference still waiting to hear back...riding with my buddy couple days ago both on rev xps , his belt shredded riped top layer off belt under 200 miles on it...wtf it was properly broke in let u know what happens waiting for dealer to find out whats going on

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I can't say forsure about only the summits getting belt warranty but I finally picked up my sled today and they did replace two of mine and they replaced them with a kevlar embedded race belt instead of the 'ol 166 they told me that replacing the belts was going to be only a temp fix untill a more solid clutch fix came in.

newfiebullet

Reaction score
is there any difference in the set up for the summit??? clutching should be the same maybe geared different but they all belts should all be covered. whats the best thing to do while waiting for my dealer call brp?? or customer service? my dealer is very slow at getting back to me about anything still waiting for 1.75 track i ordered in oct. my buddy got spring order still know track talk about false advertising every thing is back order

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there any difference in the set up for the summit??? clutching should be the same maybe geared different but they all belts should all be covered. whats the best thing to do while waiting for my dealer call brp?? or customer service? my dealer is very slow at getting back to me about anything still waiting for 1.75 track i ordered in oct. my buddy got spring order still know track talk about false advertising every thing is back order
Bought 154" x for my wife been riding it the mountains. (Polaris is broken) 300 miles 6 belts. Ride for 5 min. let the clutches cool for 30 min. Put the screen kits on from Specialty before I ever rode it. I got 15 miles out of the first belt on a groomed trail. I am not to impressed, but the sled does go alright when U can ride it.

joesled

Reaction score
just got my 146 back from the dealer today and had my belt replaced under warrenty.it has 130miles on it and couple of cords missing.the belt itself was not that bad yet .i was told to save any torn belts for warrenty.they are telling me that they dont think its heat,i dont know my clutch did get pretty hot.they havent got any updated belts yet but are comming soon.they advised for know to drop a couple teeth on the gear.well i have a problem with that because a buddy of mine did that and it didnt solve the problem.he installed a 1/4" plate under the engine mount a has not damaged a belt since.he suggests its and alignment issue.you hear so manny different stories i dont know what to believe.what i do know is i love this sled and hope the bugs are terminated soon.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard it's the engine torquing around and causing the clutches to go out of alignment whenever on the throttle.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got my 146 back from the dealer today and had my belt replaced under warrenty.it has 130miles on it and couple of cords missing.the belt itself was not that bad yet .i was told to save any torn belts for warrenty.they are telling me that they dont think its heat,i dont know my clutch did get pretty hot.they havent got any updated belts yet but are comming soon.they advised for know to drop a couple teeth on the gear.well i have a problem with that because a buddy of mine did that and it didnt solve the problem.he installed a 1/4" plate under the engine mount a has not damaged a belt since.he suggests its and alignment issue.you hear so manny different stories i dont know what to believe.what i do know is i love this sled and hope the bugs are terminated soon.
Alot of guys have been increasing the weights in the primary(don't know the exact details) this seems to have resolved their problems. Read it on SW.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the belts is HEAT.. A screen kit is a good idea as well DONT put an mbrp can on it cause it just radiates heat.. Get a ceramic coated can..They also arent shipping anymore mbrp cans to people because they are having issues with them breaking and melting parts and such.. There are alot of ways to go about clutching.. I prefer to run less weight cause it's easier on rollers and such, so a different primary is in order and a couple of other goodies and the problem solved... The shop i work at has had a tonne of XP's go thru our shop and none have a belt issue after they leave if they take our advice... Doesn't mean that there arent other methods of clutching that will also work good, but i just know that this works..

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
200 miles and no belt problems yet. Mine is hte 154 Everest. In the shop right now getting the 10 hour service, adding weight to the clutch to deal with the over revving issue and having it geared down to 19 tooth top gear, all paid for by BRP. No complaints here. It hurt my shoulders to hold on before, can't wait to get it back with the new gearing.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
200 miles and no belt problems yet. Mine is hte 154 Everest. In the shop right now getting the 10 hour service, adding weight to the clutch to deal with the over revving issue and having it geared down to 19 tooth top gear, all paid for by BRP. No complaints here. It hurt my shoulders to hold on before, can't wait to get it back with the new gearing.

Actually it's strange we geared a 154 down to the 19 top gear and that guy hasn't had an over rev issue... And all we did was one of our clutch kits... Which is a different spring and rollers.. The new spring mainly so it isnt so revvy on the trail and also lower rpm when going down the trail..

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually it's strange we geared a 154 down to the 19 top gear and that guy hasn't had an over rev issue... And all we did was one of our clutch kits... Which is a different spring and rollers.. The new spring mainly so it isnt so revvy on the trail and also lower rpm when going down the trail..
What spring did you put in it? Or is that a trade secret? I put a 160/290 in mine and it work great in the hills, I`m thinking about trying a 120/290( I think thats the next one down) to lower my rpms on the trail too.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of the over revving issue has to do with the fact that there is no pin weight in the clutch from factory. Add weight to the clutch which the dealer will do under waranty and the issue should go away. It also helps to grab the belt a little better so less slip.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beleive you want to try a 130/290.. We have some really good titanium ones.. The ti ones dont sack out like the steel ones do.. A person should change there steel primary spring every year cause they will sack out..

Oh and to summitx's comment that there is no pin weight in the clutch that is inaccurate from the several dozen clutches that i have had apart, they have a 12mm set screw in the arms from factory... Lat year on the xrs we didn't use any pin weight, but we used oversize rollers.. Then the rollers stopped binding and seizing, that was a very common problem lkast year and the ffactory kept replacing them with the same rollers...

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I beleive you want to try a 130/290.. We have some really good titanium ones.. The ti ones dont sack out like the steel ones do.. A person should change there steel primary spring every year cause they will sack out
How much for the Ti springs, if you can`t put it on here can you PM me the price, thanks.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey glengine, just wondering when the specialty website will finally be updated...in the custom sleds section...the newest project is the XRS and that happened last year...i know you guys do tons of projects

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Glengine, can only comment based on what the service tech told me. I don't pull them apart myself. All I know is that he told me he will add pin weight to help get my RPM's down (8500 + on clicker 1 around Edmonton area) and gear it down which should help with the heat in the clutch as well. Trruth will be in the first ride.

Top Bottom