XP losing power/rpm on the climb?

gobig1029

Reaction score
I was out on the weekend with my buddy, who just got his sled (08 xp summit 163) back from Mountain Magic, which said they had a fix for his power loss problem. I 'm not sure what the heck they did but did that thing RIP, He even had to go up in his weights, he has a Polaris Primary on it, He was very, very happy!! If anybody else seems to be having this problem, I would definately get ahold of Mountain Magic!!!!!

Last edited:

gobig1029

Reaction score
I Think it had something to do with the timing. But whatever it was it only cost him about 300.00 or 400.00 bucks.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is definatly clutching. It's not backshifting. I have a secondary spring that makes a big difference. Some primary work also helps. I have fixed a few of those and alot of 07 and earlier. It seems to be a problem in the Rev's but it's an easy fix.

HM8

Reaction score
I fight the same problem when I go back at Cooke City with my 04 800 REV with a 159 track and a TEAM roller secondary. I can click up the rpms to 8400 at the bottom of the hill (only happens on the really big long pulls) and by the time I get almost 3/4 up the hill my RPM's drop almost down to 7400.:confused:

gobig1029

Reaction score
Talked to buddy last night, checked his cluthing and it hasn't been touched, the only thing he did was put some more weight in the primary.:confused:

gobig1029

Reaction score
I'm going to Mountain Magic today to get the skinny on this project cause I'm getting tired of chasing the problem. My XP is a mut and I need to fix it!!!!

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fight the same problem when I go back at Cooke City with my 04 800 REV with a 159 track and a TEAM roller secondary. I can click up the rpms to 8400 at the bottom of the hill (only happens on the really big long pulls) and by the time I get almost 3/4 up the hill my RPM's drop almost down to 7400.:confused:

Your Team secondary came with a black/purple, you need to put in the black/lime green. It will be a whole new machine when climbing. If you can't get the black/lime green you can put in a black/orange it will work ok as well.

gobig1029

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with clutching, the 08's and 09's have a timing issue when the sled gets hot. which makes sense because on the second or third climb my 08 falls flat on it's face. Ken at Mountain Magic convinced me that they have a cure so I dropped my sled off and is getting fixed right now. Can't wait!!!!

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutching is an issue, but also the thermostat design tends to bleed coolant into the bypass so the machine runs alot hotter and when it gets warm it retards timing. That's why on the 3rd and 4th pass's it doesn't work as good and loses rpm. You can get an aftermarket thermostat housing that fixes it. I've sold a few and they work real good. Not all machines have this problem but it seems to plague alot of them.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutching is an issue, but also the thermostat design tents to bleed coolant into the bypass so the machine runs alot hotter and when it gets warm it retards timing. That's why on the 3rd and 4th pass's it doesn't work as good and loses rpm. You can get an aftermarket thermostat housing that fixes it. I've sold a few and they work real good. Not all machines have this problem but it seems to plague alot of them.

How much for the aftermarket thermostat housing?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It has nothing to do with clutching, the 08's and 09's have a timing issue when the sled gets hot. which makes sense because on the second or third climb my 08 falls flat on it's face. Ken at Mountain Magic convinced me that they have a cure so I dropped my sled off and is getting fixed right now. Can't wait!!!!

Did you get your sled back yet? What did they do?

gobig1029

Reaction score
Not yet, got family ch!t to do this weekend so I can't ride anyway, but the boy's at Mountain Magic said it would be ready tomorrow, so I'll pick it up and take it for a rip, but probably won't be able to tell if it's better untill I get to the Mountains.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't timing problem covered under warranty? Why pay aftermarket shop to fix timing?

gobig1029

Reaction score
If bombardier knew what the problem was, then I guess they could fix it. I've heard of lot's of guys who took there sled into the dealer to get the same problem fixed but they don't have a clue what the problem is!!!!:(

Big Bark

Reaction score
Dan,
Thanks for helping me fix and fill my nitrous bottle on Saturday. I appreciate the week end help. Service and pricing is great.

logger

Reaction score
Bigbark
I am considering a rk860 for my 08 xp curious how yours works and if there was any problems during the season.
Logger

Big Bark

Reaction score
Everything is working awesome. I finally got my clutching dialed in with a Shockwave Custom Helix last week end in Valemount. Only problem I had was I got to aggressive porting in the intake and ended up craking a Jacket water transfer port (they do not go straight down they are angled. I recomend leaving the RK porting alone. Another kit to consider is the Motts 885. Work very well on my business parters sled. Anyway I recomend taking it to Lakeside Motorcycle Service in Benalto Chuck Downey 403-746-2282. He does great work and knows these sleds well.

Top Bottom