XP - Common Issues/Maintenance and good Upgrades

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would make sense, do you know if it is rubbing at no throttle, or full throttle? Have you seen an issue with the updated cable?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would make sense, do you know if it is rubbing at no throttle, or full throttle? Have you seen an issue with the updated cable?
it rubs at rest, but gets worse as the arm travels through it's motion. not sure what this updated cable looks like but will find out tomorrow when it comes in.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 XP recalls and Service Bulletins:

Tracks Rubbing

The new XP chassis with 16" wide tracks have very little clearance in tunnel. If the track is not properly aligned it is possible that the track edges contact the suspension bracket's mounting rivets and lightly fray the fabric cords on the edge of the track. This fraying is cosmetic in nature and does not affect the strength of the track whatsoever. To give added clearance for aggressive riders or if the track is not properly aligned round head rear bumper bolts are available to replace the standard hex head bolt. These bolts are available under P/N 250000223. The qty needed is 4.

REV-XP Main Wiring Harness Splices Repair No. 2009-8

Drive Axle Failure No. 2009-1

REV-XP Wiring Harness Issues No. 2008-20

Voltage Regulator Wires Chafing, Taillight Wires Chafing

Intermittent Electrical Fluctuations on XP's

We've had a few reports on fluctuations in electrical power on a few REV-XPTM model units. Dealers have reported finding the RD/BL wire contacting the frame in the area of the voltage regulator. The regulator and associated wiring can be found directly behind the chain-case and can be easily accessed by removing the after muffler. Simply repair any damage to the wiring. DC voltage is supplied through the regulator originating from the stator and the entire system is dependant a constant supply. Regulator output can be tested at any available RD/BL wire found in the chaincase area. We recommend the B.U.D.S. diagnostic port.

Cluster Gauge Issue Rubber Button Replacement

Mode and Set buttons

We have had reports on gauge information fluctuations, and random resetting of trip information or other functions. This is most likely caused by a small sensor magnet falling out of the mode or set buttons. Remove the gauge, and then remove the gauges lens by pressing on the appropriate tabs. If you find one or both of the magnets dislodged from the rubber buttons, order new buttons. We now have updated versions that have the magnets encapsulated in the rubber. Magnets may be removed and the handlebar switch used on premium gauge models as a temporary repair.

Maintenance on Countershaft Support Torque countershaft support lower nuts to
35 N•m (26 lbf•ft).

A- Contaminated Carburetors No. 2008-12

B- Kinked DPM Vent Hose

A: Heated Grip Failure No. 2008-8

B: Electric Start Cable May Be Wrongly Routed

XP Fuel Tank Safety Recall

Please be certain to understand that only the sleds included on the serial number list, need to be inspected for the fuel tank recall. If the vehicle is not listed in the
serial number list, please disregard the bulletin. If the vehicle is included in the list you must inspect the tank mold number. If the identification is CAV-A, the tank does
not need to be replaced. If the ID is CAV-1, the tank must be replaced.

XP Chain Tensioner Bolt

XP's may leak chaincase lube from the chaincase adjuster screw. Loctite 515 or 518 was used on early production units to keep the chaincase lube from
seeping past the adjuster screw threads. If the screw was adjusted then the threads had to be resealed with 515 or 518. Later production Rev XP's now have a metal
and rubber washer sandwiched together under the head of the lock nut. This seals the case and the threads with no need for Loctite 515 or 518. The new bonded washer
part number is 250200100.

For those of you inspecting pulley alignment on REV
XP chassis types please note the following
specifications.
"Z" Distance 21.0mm .827 in.
"X" Offset 37.1 +- 0.5mm 1.461 +- .020 in
"X-Y" Difference 1.62mm 0.064 in.
Please note: Although these are the target
specifications, pulley alignment is not adjustable. These
dimensions are for reference only.

Chaincase Cover Screws
We have a few reports of the cover screws breaking on XP
chaincases

Summit® Drive Belts
Furthermore, dealers are reporting that gearing changes are helpful on some models. It is important to know that the 146 inch models are geared rather high as we intended them to be a long
track Renegade® of sorts. If top speed is more desirable than deep snow or extreme climbing performance your customers may prefer to leave the gearing alone, but if they are being used more
extremely you may gear them down by using a 21 tooth top sprocket and a 102 link chain. The 154 inch model being used in extreme conditions may benefit from a 19 tooth top sprocket and a 102 link
chain, but you will loose top speed on flat meadows. The 163 inch model already uses a 49 tooth bottom sprocket so it is geared lower and most likely will not need change.
If gearing changes are required to meet the customers expectations you may file a normal warranty claim for a top sprocket and chain (the claim will pay the parts and you may keep the removed parts in exchange for the labor time or you will be required to return the removed parts claimed).

Parts Info
19 tooth sprocket 504 152 031
21 tooth sprocket 504 096 200
102 pitch chain 504 152 579
104 pitch chain 504 152 629

TRA V and TRA VII Torque Procedure No. 2008-7 88.5 lbf.ft

REV-XP™, REV-XR™& REV-XU™ Engine
Alignment No. 2009-12

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2009 Problems

secondary/belt deflection adjuster jam nuts backing/falling off.

'09 movable sheave main bushing TOO tight and binding when hot. Replaced with new part.

Sticky DPM, fix by removing and spraying with WD40.

First year of the tampon intake filter...better off with the '08 style.

09 still have ported track. Just as bad as the stiff paddled Challenger Lite offered in early '08. Update to non-ported track

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also anyone questioning what info is made public can use this. BRP/Ski-doo offers BRP product recalls right on their website under Owner Center. Any remaining info is only accesable by the dealer

Dealers have all the latest "recall" information by VIN and can check for any/all of the following 4 BRP categories if provided your full VIN info:

1. SERVICE BULLETINS: issued for continual/ongoing product innovation, model improvement. These can be tech tips, spec changes, vehicle information or changes in procedures relating to servicing such. Normal warranty applies. (The timeframe for completion if related to procedures is not infinite, needs to be completed within the limited factory warranty coverage period, not B.E.S.T.)

2. WARRANTY BULLETIN- QUALITY: If the symptom is verified by servicing dealer, consistent with normal operation of the vehicle as designed AND within VIN range as specified, bulletin will be completed. Normal warranty applies. (The timeframe for completion if related to procedures is not infinite, needs to be completed within the factory limited warranty coverage period, not B.E.S.T.)

3. WARRANTY BULLETIN- SAFETY CAMPAIGN: This is a recall mandated by BRP usually for operator/passenger safety and is generally compliant with terms of Transport Canada, CPSC, ISIA, SSCC, DOT or combination of agencies thereof. Like the auto industry, notification is sent to all registered FIRST owners of vehicles as required which meet the specific model/VIN criteria for those included in the safety campaign. There may be a deadline established beyond the normal factory limited warranty coverage period to have the warranty BULLETIN- safety campaign completed. The completion dates are specific to the bulletin itself.

4. WARRANTY CAMPAIGN: Not safety related in nature as #3 above however will be completed within a certain timeframe, (generally up until the factory limited warranty coverage period ends) AND if vehicle is within the VIN list of affected vehicles/models.

Of course there are Forum members who are in sales and service positions of Ski-Doo dealers, which may or may not be aware of such info. If you require information specific to your sled you should speak to your dealership as this is not the place to inquire about the issues you are having unless those members are offering to help. :)

Barster

Reaction score
I have a 09 xp 800 and it bogged at 6500 rpms .took it to a dealer they had it for 1 1/2 months. cleaned the carbs 3 times nothing helped . finaly they replace the dpm and it ran fine for 400 kms.Took it out last weekend for the first time. ran ok for 25kms and then acted up the same as last year:mad: any one had issues with the dpm???? ..

Had the same sort of problem in my 08 last year. It is at doo dealer right now with only 1700 klms and they are telling me my compresion is down and they want to put new pistons and rings in. Already spending $1000 on cluching. It was blowing belts and i couldnt get any rpms in the climbs. about 7200 max. seemed like i was burning lots of oil and getting lots of smoke. any input would be great

zeeberg7

Reaction score
Having big elecrical issues... I have a 2008 Summit Everest 154" and when running I have the engine light and the temp light on with the sled constantly beeping. headlights are really dim, reverse doesnt work at all, and when you try to draw more power from the system by puttin the brights lights on or to even just hit the breaks the computer goes into startup mode and the guages start swinging around. (also Speedo and Tach both read 0).

Any Ideas?? Relay? ECM?

Wiring looks good and tight and clean, replaced the voltage regulator already and it didn't fix the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having big elecrical issues... I have a 2008 Summit Everest 154" and when running I have the engine light and the temp light on with the sled constantly beeping. headlights are really dim, reverse doesnt work at all, and when you try to draw more power from the system by puttin the brights lights on or to even just hit the breaks the computer goes into startup mode and the guages start swinging around. (also Speedo and Tach both read 0).

Any Ideas?? Relay? ECM?

Wiring looks good and tight and clean, replaced the voltage regulator already and it didn't fix the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It doesn't say check key does it?

zeeberg7

Reaction score
no, doesn't say check Key.

I am going to try to swap out computers if I can find one. Also going to do more looking at wires as I have been reading more about this frayed wire at the regulator and i would rather start with that cheaper fix.

I will let you guys know what I find out.

thanks,

zeeberg7

Reaction score
So still no sign of severed wires. Tried my buddies ECM which is from a 2009 summit X.the sled started up fine, no alarms. Then when it got warm everything lost poet again. Well power is there, just dim. This is the same as the Stock ECM.Does anyone know what happens when the sled switches from warmup to warm idle? Is power sent down a different wire when this switch occurs? If not, then it can't be a short can it?I am puzzled that I can get power and then it just go away when a "mode" changes in the computer. Could it be a relay???Any ideas at all? I'm stumped.Thanks for the help!

Nitro800

Reaction score
It sounds like you might have a stator failing. The fact that you replaced the voltage regulator already and no wiring problems, thats where i would look. Low input voltage to the regulator will cause a low output voltage and will cause all sorts of havoc with the electronics.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with nitro 800,but look for bared off wires there was a problem with the wires down by the voltage reg or the ground wire.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a shorter wire won't realy draw power till it warms up. Makes more contact then

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So still no sign of severed wires. Tried my buddies ECM which is from a 2009 summit X.the sled started up fine, no alarms. Then when it got warm everything lost poet again. Well power is there, just dim. This is the same as the Stock ECM.Does anyone know what happens when the sled switches from warmup to warm idle? Is power sent down a different wire when this switch occurs? If not, then it can't be a short can it?I am puzzled that I can get power and then it just go away when a "mode" changes in the computer. Could it be a relay???Any ideas at all? I'm stumped.Thanks for the help![/QUOTE

Check the relay above the belt guard. That is probably your problem. Seen those issues before and that fixed it. Most dealers stock them but if not go to NAPA and they will have one. Good luck!

Top Bottom