XP 860 or 880 kit?

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at either the 860 kit or the 880 kit with a new crank. Just wondering who has tried them and what the benefits are to both kits. Which one is reliable and who in edmonton would be good to purchase from?

Thanx in advance

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
860's are more common and the few extra ponies and torque you will get from an additional 20cc are hardly worth it. Buy which ever kit uses off the shelf pistons, if they are custom made you will be in for more expensive rebuilds with longer down time in the future. If you are serious about getting all you can get out of your build, I heard that NPP just built a set of twins for a 860 that pulled an additional 10+ HP and some wicked Torque numbers.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a split second built 860 w/tow rope teddy (terra alps racing) 14.5-1 compression heads w/twin pipes super torquey little machine it runs awesome I like the 860 better than 880 a few people said that the cylinders are just to thin with th 880 kit my opinion go with an 860 lots of good builders out there I prefer split second and motts machining

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at motts. He was recommended to me by a friend. He has the 880 with a new crank as well. All the kits are priced in the same general area but unsure as to reliability of each kit.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your not to sure just go with a nice running 860 then you dont have to worry about cylinder walls being stretched to thin I think you will really enjoy the 860 the thing has gobs of power when you want it

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle has an RK Tek 860 kit running very very well. I would recommend it.

dutz106

Reaction score
I am in the process of building the rktek 860. Talk to Kelsey he takes the time to answer all your questions. Who would you rather get advise from guys who talk or guys who build.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a motts 880, ride with various 860's, pretty easy to answer this go with toms! it WORKS!

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have to run race gas with the 860 kit with the RK-Tech head? Is the VP fuel for just a little bit of insurance?

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boyfriend put motts 880 into his doo last year and it made 1 days ride before it blew up.. started runnin hot, ended up melting down.. this was day 2 of a 10day sled trip.. had it torn apart in a shop that does 860's n such and they were somewhat shocked as to what had been put into the sled.. parts werent adequate or good enough for the job.. called motts and he just said 'not my problem' essentially.. could bring it back to him to fix but would cost him a few grand more for this, after already spending that in the shop to get the job done originally.. needless to say wasnt impressed.. spent a lot of money and sled never ran right from get go.. left it in bc for a month or so.. they took care of everything (re-nickel-siling, parts, etc) for cheaper, and sled runs strong now..

imo the 860 seems to be more reliable from what i've heard.. but i only know of 5-6 doo's with either of these kits done..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boyfriend put motts 880 into his doo last year and it made 1 days ride before it blew up.. started runnin hot, ended up melting down.. this was day 2 of a 10day sled trip.. had it torn apart in a shop that does 860's n such and they were somewhat shocked as to what had been put into the sled.. parts werent adequate or good enough for the job.. called motts and he just said 'not my problem' essentially.. could bring it back to him to fix but would cost him a few grand more for this, after already spending that in the shop to get the job done originally.. needless to say wasnt impressed.. spent a lot of money and sled never ran right from get go.. left it in bc for a month or so.. they took care of everything (re-nickel-siling, parts, etc) for cheaper, and sled runs strong now..

imo the 860 seems to be more reliable from what i've heard.. but i only know of 5-6 doo's with either of these kits done..
that's what keeps me away from BB kits. 10 guys say they're great, but there's always a few horror stories. my luck I'd be a guy with a horror story....

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha i hear ya teeroy.. thats why i leave the tinkering to my brother n boyfriend..i like having a sled always ready to ride.. pull the cord and ride.. reliable i guess would be the word? lol

and your most likely right maxwell.. the way the bb was installed obviously had some defects in it.. like the pistons n pipe.. this was on an 08 motor, dont remember mileage but dont think it would have been too high..

just my thoughts on it all! :)

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother threw one of motts 880 kits on my 15 yr old nephews xp, we did all the assembly, 50/50 race fuel, he must of put over 3000km on that thing in mcbride alone last yr and not a problem, and that thing is always throttle to the bar, pull the rope and go all winter long

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the 860 could be a bit more reliable. Motts puts a new crank in as well apparently with the 880 kit. Still undecided! Motts is known to have done lots of machining and i havent heard too many complaints for the amount of business he does.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a search over on Dootalk. They have tons of big bore talk over there. After all the research i did i ended up going with an 860.

Top Bottom