XM handle bars snapping at the mountain strap stud

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Had the left side of my handle bars come off in my hand while sidehilling last weekend. Snapped right at the mountain strap stud. Wondering how many others have had this problem and if anyone's got a recommendation on aftermarket bars that are stronger than the stock skidoo ones.

I took it into Bow Cycle, tech says that BRP won't cover it under warranty cause they think its related to some other damage on my sled that happened at 200km. Sled's now over 1600km... definitely not related but I knew the Skidoo warranty was bull ch!t anyway so I can't say I'm surprised. Repair cost is $300 but the bars alone are $85. Bow Cycle said they've seen others with bars snapped at the stud too. My old XP didn't have a stud that went through, so I'm thinking this is a design flaw in the 2013.

Anyways, sorry to rant but what bars should I buy? The 7/8" RSI ones are on back order.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
DSCF3604.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF3603.JPG
    DSCF3603.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 336

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stupid design.. my buddy got the X bar with a lower riser for his.. the X bar is pretty cheap and is 1-1/8" .. without any holes drilled through it for the strap!

unimog

Reaction score
I swapped bars to 7/8 pro taper moto bars before the first ride.

Way more leverage for ruts, hands don't cramp up due to the weird hook design.

Feels more natural for people used to riding a moto or MTB.

The bars were 60 or so bucks and new grips were around 20.

You carefully cut/peel the cork from the old bars and re-use the warmers.

You can run the XP style grab handle on the crossbar on either side of the foam pad.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Taper-SE-Series-7-8-Standard-Handlebars.aspx

Note: To run the bars with the 8¨riser the throttle cable needs to be run out on the outside of the riser, no issues with the 6¨riser.

Last edited:

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the left side of my handle bars come off in my hand while sidehilling last weekend. Snapped right at the mountain strap stud. Wondering how many others have had this problem and if anyone's got a recommendation on aftermarket bars that are stronger than the stock skidoo ones.

I took it into Bow Cycle, tech says that BRP won't cover it under warranty cause they think its related to some other damage on my sled that happened at 200km. Sled's now over 1600km... definitely not related but I knew the Skidoo warranty was bull ch!t anyway so I can't say I'm surprised. Repair cost is $300 but the bars alone are $85. Bow Cycle said they've seen others with bars snapped at the stud too. My old XP didn't have a stud that went through, so I'm thinking this is a design flaw in the 2013.

Anyways, sorry to rant but what bars should I buy? The 7/8" RSI ones are on back order.
I followed a guy through Ft. Mcmurray a couple days ago with a break in the same place!

Top Bottom