XLR Thunderbolt 5th, any experience

sharpstick

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the XLR Thunderbolt toy hauler 5th wheels. been looking around at different makes and models and found one that has the layout we like. 2 things that stand out to me on them all is they are over priced and most seem to be built super cheap. Cardboard and staples... Its pathetic to walk into a brand new trailer on a dealer lot and see the damage to these units and the only road they've seen so far is the Highway from the factory to the dealership. Anyways, just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the XLR line.

Thanks for any feedback.

SS

HOTLAP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at a dealership that carries the XLR and yes they are as good if not better than a lot out there.
You are right about RV's in general, the competition is brutal and every manufacturer is trying to save money but the XLR is still doing a lot of things that other brands are not like laminated slides, 1" floor decking in the garage, 2X4 structural divider wall to the garage, hydraulic slides (instead of crappy cables), big fresh water tanks and hydraulic 6 way auto leveling.
Big thing to avoid is brands that make regular trailers jumping on the toy hauler bandwagon by putting a ramp door on the back, stick with a brand that ONLY builds toy haulers, they generally do a better job especially when it comes to strength in places you can't see.
Good luck with your search and let me know if you have any questions you can't get a straight answer to.
(and no I'm not trying to make a sale, just happy to help if I can)

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some people with the 42 foot xlr that have problems with things pretty much every time they use it.not to mention it took 3 extra one tons to get them out after rain all weekend lol.

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Go check out the new interiors on the raptor or voltage or fuzion. You will see quite the difference The xlr styling looks 10 years behind and the quality is nowhere near as good. I know they are all quite poorly built but forest river products are the worst. I'd stay far away

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked and researched alot of toy haulers when I bought one last year and I can say yes they all have there issues and some are built better than others! The ones we narrowed down too were the keystone raptor, Voltage and the Grand design Momentum! and after looking and studying all of them we ended up buying a 2016 grand design m348 which is a 40 ft fifth wheel toy hauler with 12' 6" garage which we needed for hauling a 4 seater sxs.

I would say there all comparable as far as quality the voltage I would say is a little lower on the scale but has all the features like the other two! One of the reasons we choose the momentum is it comes with 2 year structure warranty where the other two did not! Also having the fuel tank fills behind a one big locked door so nobody can steal ur gas which is the first I seen on a toy hauler! and it just looked well built inside! Lots and lots of lighting which is nice hydralic auto leveling and the list goes on but all the fancy expensive toy haulers come with those features now! Momentum baller trailer 1098.jpg Momentum baller trailer 1099.jpg Momentum baller trailer 1101.jpg

Top Bottom