Xcr 600 starting troubles

ryan.sargantgibson

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok so having a starting issue.
Sled: 1996 Xcr 600
Info: just rebuilt, new fuel pump, carb needles and seats, voltage regulator
The sled has been owned by my dad for maybe 10 years. It's always been a b**ch to start. It's hard to pull, and if it kicks( usually 3rd pull) you have to flip off the choke IMMEDIATELY, if not, will flood and not start for a while.
Carbs have now been cleaned/rebuilt.
And it's still the same
So wondering what you guys think it could be?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once it starts in the morning how is it for the rest of the day? Are all the individual choke plungers set properly so they are fully seated with the choke lever off and fully open when the choke lever is on full choke position? Most carbureted sleds need to have the choke set to at least the halfway position as soon as they start. Maybe you should give it a couple of good pulls and then flip the choke to half before it fires.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have the float heights in the carbs ever been checked

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so having a starting issue.
Sled: 1996 Xcr 600
Info: just rebuilt, new fuel pump, carb needles and seats, voltage regulator
The sled has been owned by my dad for maybe 10 years. It's always been a b**ch to start. It's hard to pull, and if it kicks( usually 3rd pull) you have to flip off the choke IMMEDIATELY, if not, will flood and not start for a while.
Carbs have now been cleaned/rebuilt.
And it's still the same
So wondering what you guys think it could be?
Thanks in advance for your help!

those have always been a bitch to start. They run the same engine as the XLT the only difference is they run larger carbs. I believe the issue is that they do not create enough velocity through the carbs to properly draw the fuel into the engine when your flipping it over. once stated they run quite well.

ryan.sargantgibson

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok thanks boys, I'll check out the choke . @retiredpop , no any time you're starting unless it's fully hot and you don't let it sit, it's a bitch to start, when you run it and leave it for 10 mins , then you gotta take the risk of choke or not. So no, after you start it, it does not start easy after .
Thanks again guys

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just throwing out some more ideas here. Did you remove the pilot jets when you cleaned the carbs and clean them out with a small wire? A little bit of varnish in them from old gas can give symptoms like this although you said it was like this for a long time. Low float level can cause this too. Air screw adjustment may help also. You may even have to go up one size on pilot jets if all else fails.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could have a bad needle/seat or dirty pilot. Clean it all and reset everything. They always sucked to start. Always had to pull lower engine drain to dump out all the fuel.

Top Bottom