Wtf's Wrong with My Sled 101

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know how you're supposed to know your sled, feel when something's wrong, notice that little rattle that wasn't there before. In the effort to help others know what to look for when things go wrong, I thought we'd all share our little 'mishaps' and what the signs were that led up to finding the problem. I'm quite tuned-into my sled and notice things pretty quickly, not everyone is the same though and sometimes it's good to know what things to pay attention to.

I'll go first...

Last weekend at the LR in Revy, I noticed a lack of power in my little 600. Felt like I was riding an Electrolux, or 550 fan as they are pretty much the same. :rolleyes: I chalked it up to the conditions...wasn't getting my revs up... 0-60 in 5 mins. Didn't change the clickers just rolled with it and figured I just left my mo-jo back in Radium. :eek:

Next sign...a hot smell which after inspection turned out to be a very hot belt, not a common thing in these sleds, so a bit suspicous. It was a touch loose, so tightened it up a tad. Let 'er cool down and proceeded up the trail. Hmmm, still hot smell, but now a 'different' hot smell. Opened the other side, and found a smokin' hot brake...and I mean smokin' hot...melt your oil rez and burn your azz up hot! Found it to be gummy (no e-brake on, for those of you who are thinkin' so...I don't use my e-brake on the trail) It wasn't releasing when applied and had no brake the first one or two pumps. Left The Arborist to do a quick fix on this to get it loosened up while I yakked with the gals. ;) Once it was loosened up and seemed to release more than not, we figured it was good to finish the day, I'd keep and eye on it and not use my brakes (went Fred Flintstone style the rest of the day). Jeepchick was enlisted to keep an eye out for smoke and flames and do a fast drive by to pick my azz up in the event of a flame up :eek:

Made it through the day without igniting on my vacuum and once back home, had a closer look. (I employed Arborist for this one...)
Turned out it was (now I'll most likely get some terms incorrect, and noone's here to assist as he's out picking up my new parts) a pounded-out bearing at the end of the shaft behind the secondary clutch.:eek: This shaft connects to the brake on the other side of the sled. The clutch is mucho important for shifting and thus power and it was loose and not functioning right, hence the lack of mojo and odd loose belt...the brake wasn't engaging correctly as well as it was not working properly in relation to the clutch without this bearing. So, hot and loosening belt combined with hot/malfunctioning brake combined with a loss of power= one little azz bearing out of commission behind the secondary. :nono:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the risk of having my azz beat by two of the touhest brunettes I know, I'm just gonna put this out there... My guess as to WTF is wrong:

Ummmm.... its a doo? !?!??!?

(Sorry, had to do it!)

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skinny just whooped mammas but right there! LOL ;)

I'm laughing out loud in a room all by myself. Can't even respond!! That was a whole lotta gangsta she brought to the rumble. I think I might be in ICU... but it was worth it!:cool:

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm laughing out loud in a room all by myself. Can't even respond!! That was a whole lotta gangsta she brought to the rumble. I think I might be in ICU... but it was worth it!:cool:

LMFAO...whole lotta gangsta alright!!!

I felt violent just using 'paddle and kick butt smiley'! LOL

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup2: Most definately. 800 is the only way to go!

"Originally Posted by SledMamma
My guess as to WTF is wrong:

Ummmm.... its a doo? !?!??!?

:d Dont worry i'll back ya up :friends:

Holy frick w6...I'd watch your back, skinnybitch is a sneaky one :eek::paddle:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same this year, shelled that bearing right out!

But then again, my Yammy makes about 4x the power of that Doo.....just sayin'..:d:d

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's my "WTF" story from last year... its more "WTF" than it is solving anything, but oh well!

Hubby bought me the new TurboPhazer in July of 2008 with 1600 kms on it. We finally get enough snow to ride it and hop into the trailer for a powder packed day in the Blackstone Mountains by Nordegg. About 2 hours into what amounted to a trail ride with a lot of snow, the very tippy Phazer does its thing and falls on its side. My hubby is about 1/4km back on his Apex, so I lean over the side and grab the bars to try and tip it back over. Strangely enough, I feel mucho heat radiating from the clutchside and when I look down, I see flames licking out from under the plastic!!

What do I do? Well, having flashbacks of bad-guy chases and cars blowing up in movies, and I recall the conversation from that morning involving putting race fuel in my sled, I envision a large mushroom cloud and start to run like hell... But then I hear my husband yelling, "Shut it off! Shut it off!" and start running back towards the sled to hit the kill switch. By this time, my hubby has arrived and he is swearing all sorts of sideways and we are shovelling snow onto the fire like mad and get it to go out. :BBQ:

Luckily, none of the wiring or important stuff burnt up so we are able to start the sled and keep going. Our "guide" manages to take us deeper and deeper into the trail, all the while saying that we are 'just about home'. Meanwhile, my sled starts on fire twice more, with about the same amount of chaos each time. By this time, dark is falling and I am certain that if I do get my new sled home, it will be nothing but a melted pile of ashes. At 11pm we roll into our driveway and the sled is still whole... Hallelujah.

So, upon further investigation, we discover that the fuel overflow line is run so that it vents over the very hot clutch side. The next morning my husband re-runs the fuel line and we figure we have the problem licked. We go sledding again. Well, needless to say the problem WAS NOT SOLVED and I look down to see flames curling up the front of my snowpants... AWESOME!!! So I tell my husband, but by now he is immune to the panic, so he takes a sip of his beer, makes no move to get off his sled and help me and tells me to "Put it out".... Ummm, ya, thanks tips!!

So, we do some more fixing on the sled (can't remember what all we came up with) and take it to Revelstoke. No more fires, but my fuel seems to be heating up and airlocking in the overflow line ?!?!? Wtf???? And then , in the middle of a big climb up a hill, the sled decides that it will no longer build any boost and the stock 80hp it has is just not enough to keep us going. Luckily, it was foggy that day so we never had to go very far on the loser sled anyway. Then, on the trail-ride down the sled builds some boost unexpectedly and nearly sends me off the side of the mountain, causing my arms to be stretched by at least 3 inches in the process of holding on. (And I was already gangly enough!!) By this time, I am getting kinda cranky with my "new sled"...

We took it to PG Yamaha and they tore it apart only to find that none of the heatshield or wrap that is supposed to be installed with the Turbo kit was ever present on the sled. Also, the bellows are totally blown and all the heat is being lost directly under the gas tank. Just more AWESOMENESS!! Fortunately, they welded and wrapped everything the way it was supposed to be in the first place, re-mapped the ECU and sent us away with a running machine... that doesnt start on fire... finally... Too bad the riding season was over :rant:

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy cr@p sledmamma! That's crazy that they messed up on the sled that bad putting it together. and im sorry to say but i was laughing my a$$ off reading that cause I can imagine me being in the EXACT same position!!
Mind you I woulda kicked my man off his sled and made him ride the 'loser sled' :d

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mamma looked right at home on her M8! Ridin' like a seasoned veteran!:d
I'm sure you didn't look as good on the Phazer either. Your hair matches your sled now...:p

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, when I purchased the KITTY for my wife it was a huge weight gone off our shoulders, and now I get to sit back and enjoy watching my wife ride instead of her being frusterated. To all the guys out there, dont be stubborn and buy something that doesn't work for her. Shop together, and find something that will progress them as riders and give them the confidence. That said, yes you have witnessed my admitance to being wrong, but she now very much enjoys sleddin as much as I do. I now get to ride day in an day out with best friend.

Top Bottom