Wow! This is just pitiful!

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
So it begins... Glad to hear everyone is safe but yet another reason for everyone to be educated an plan ahead!!!

A little off topic and I am sure people have already posted this, but just because you call 911 and search and rescue comes and you don't get a bill for that PLEASE remember these are volunteers and the right thing to do when someone saves your life or makes that risk coming to find you on there time is donate to there search and rescue area!! In the end what is your life worth???

Ride safe everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine that. Inexperience with high powered machines getting stuck in the back country........ This is why i FLMAO whenever I hear people talk about how "experienced" they are, the majority of people have very little experience, and would not be able to handle themselves in the backcountry, regardless of how good of a rider they think they are. The area overall is pretty tame around the cabin, and they would have been better off to walk out down Springer if that was their final decision, its way shorter than going back down the valley thru Lemon.

5 general laws of survival: know the area, build a shelter, light a fire, wait for daylight and stay put so help can find you.

How to Survive in the Woods: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave we're back in the Koots! I'll meet you up the Summit!
This is a good example. I think this is one more reason peeps should be directed to their local clubs. Here in Creston, we're taking the bull by the horns and reaching out with Safety.
with the help of CAC information, I'm reaching out to our youth again. It's not only Avys that will getchya.... as we see in this story.. it could have had a horrible outcome. Avalanche Education is important, and other elements of Winter back country preparation are equally as important, as many of these topics many take for granted. Teaching peeps about Frost bite/nip, the technology of dressing for Winter, what to pack, how to USE the safety gear you own, how to build a shelter, how to build a fire.......... are just some of the things we can take for granted... Adios hello kitty mittens... dress for the back country peeps, even if you are a passenger. EVERYONE has their overnight survival gear, avalanche safety gear, and training, passenger and rider!
We can learn from these guys. Sometimes people simply don't know... what they don't know eh........

Momma out!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People laugh at me when they see the snowshoes I carry on my tunnel. These guys found out how hard it is to walk in snow without them if you need to!

I laugh at the "way too many" people I see that carry extra food, water, a pack of matches, and a knife.....calling it their "survival kit". Not gonna starve to death over night in the bush, but hypothermia can kill you in under an hour. Not gonna light much of a fire with those matches if you don't have anything to cut wood with.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Glad this ended well for these two guys! Letting someone know where they were going was a great positive and let's not forget everyone makes mistakes! What can come out of this is some great tips as well as reminding us all to be prepared, as well as being fit which will help a lot when stuck out in the bush! Let's use this to remind everyone to let someone know where ur group is heading use an inreach to let others know where u are during the day and knowing what to carry! Having this at a club day or shop open house is a great idea to make more aware, more new riders is a good thing so it is up to all of us to help educate in a thoughtful way instead of calling people dumbasses, and as always thanks to search and rescue who go out of there way to help others, if u can support them with funds or help! Have a happy save season!

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine how many lives S&R have saved in the winter ...

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same thing happened in Revy last weekend. 2 snowboarders decided to buy a sled and go sled boarding. Ended up stuck in the Toilet Bowl on Boulder, started walking out and got picked up by S&R in the middle of the night. Then they tried to go rescue their sled with snow shoes the next day. I talked to them on Saturday afternoon. Neither had ridden a sled, no backcountry experience, no survival gear, didn't know the area.....stupid. Pretty sure they ended up hiring Shaede to go rescue the sled for them.

Top Bottom