Would you buy a used sled online?...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled looks good. Another option for you would be to see if he is willing to take it to a dealer close by and have them inspect it at your cost. Only do this if you have cash in hand and ready to buy now. If everything checks out then come buy the sled. Of there is an issue then you are aware of it when you buy or at the worst it cost you a couple hundred bucks.

mcrc

Reaction score
I'm interested in a sled that is in Sherwood (east of Edmonton) and price is decent, but just too far... :( :frusty:

Sherwood park is a good place to buy stuff from. People have lots of money to buy toys but not a lot of time to use them! Let me know if you want me to take a look. It looks like I could walk over!:)

94YJ

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with buying online, as long as you get pics and lots of info why not? I got a sweet deal on a 14 cat, pretty much new, 160 km 8.6 hrs . Got pics and went and picked it up.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my 13 XM on Kijiji. The guy drove to Edmonton from Winnipeg. I sent him lots of pics and video so he knew what he was getting. The fact that I priced it for a quick sale may have been his motivation. Ultimately all he had was my word so like I said earlier, I wouldn't have been in his shoes.
Also had a guy from Winnipeg buy my 09 dragon 800 for asking price. Didn't talk me down. I had to deliver it to his buddy up near Edmonton and then he shipped it off on a semi. Sent me a $500 deposit then the rest after I sent him a picture of his buddy sitting on it haha.

I also sent him a signed bill of sale and he sent it back with his info and signature along with the deposit.
As long as the conditions are noted.

There are deals to be had, and if you are smart about it, you can tell right away if someone is trying to scam ya.

Last edited:

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd have to see it in person before forking over a penny, too many hidden surprises for me.

But my buddy was in your shoes last year. He lives 6 hours away. I went and looked at sled, test drove, etc. and gave him the :wtg:. He made the bank transfer. I picked up sled and he lived happily ever after.

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
I would not buy without seeing it personally. I've been stung twice, one guy sent me a pic of a seat, but when I received it, it wasn't even the same seat. The other guy said he had had it on his sled, but when I tried to install it, it didn't fit. SCUM!
There are more crooks on Kjiji then honest people.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would need to see it in person unless it has crazy low km's/hours as in almost brand new. It's not that far to Edmonton you could head up one evening and be back the next day early afternoon.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought an 09 IQRR 600 from a dealership/team in Ontario in 2010 over the phone on the hottest day of summer. Got a smokin deal and $500 to ship it to dealership here. I still have a belt for it if anyone needs one, trade for 6 Luckys.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would need to see it in person unless it has crazy low km's/hours as in almost brand new. It's not that far to Edmonton you could head up one evening and be back the next day early afternoon.

I could drive out there. It's just, if it turns out to be no good, the gas money and hotel is for nothing. And 400/500 bucks is money in my books. Almost makes sense to pay some good soul to inspect it and upon green light to drive out and pick it up. Coming off a 4 stroke and not knowing much about 2 strokes in general, it might be good to have somebody knowledgeable look at it first:confused:.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could drive out there. It's just, if it turns out to be no good, the gas money and hotel is for nothing. And 400/500 bucks is money in my books. Almost makes sense to pay some good soul to inspect it and upon green light to drive out and pick it up. Coming off a 4 stroke and not knowing much about 2 strokes in general, it might be good to have somebody knowledgeable look at it first:confused:.

If it were me I'd line up a bunch to look at. Maybe go through Calgary so you can line em up right from cowtown to Edmonton that way your trip doesn't hinge on just the one machine you have options

Jeremy225

Reaction score
Bnorth is right. Line lots up there's tons out there right now, go into the trip knowing you're taking home a sled most likely, and then see all your options and make an educated decision. That's also a barter helper, 'I'm buying a sled today so it might be yours' :thumbsup2:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I new a guy was going to be looking at 20 different sleds I'd tell em not to bother wasting my time.
I have no time for tire kickers. but thats just me though.

looks like a nice sled, good luck

swiller

Reaction score
I could look for ya ...I am a mechanic and look them over thoughly. I just bought a 13 pro for 6800 .300 miles on it .looked at about 4 in that price range ...but needed work .some guys are overpriced on sleds they don't think needs work...well within 5 minutes I had over 1000bucks in just parts needed on most of em...really have to look hard ...guys hide stuff

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've bought several sleds and a quad site unseen. The hardly used ones are easy but the older ones are tricky. There is a bunch of things I use to access the honesty of the seller, I spend most my questions trying to figure out how honest they are..
Also be sure to budget some funds for some fixes for things wrong the seller may see as okay but you don't.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've bought on line before and just had a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable mechanic / dealer, works great for me!

butthead

Reaction score
As the title says. Would you buy a used sled from a guy on say kijiji, craigslist, etc without seeing it in person?
'Tis almost the season and I still haven't pulled the trigger. Seems like most of the sleds that fit my expectations (wishes) and more importantly price range are in AB.

iam selling this one a little closer to home

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured I'll update this thread...
First of all, thank you everybody for your input. Member mcrc was kind enough to inspect the sled for me (actually several others offered to as well)! He got back to me with a very positive "report" and also send me a whole bunch more pictures. Thank you mcrc!
Seller also happens to be on this forum, so that made the decision much easier. Now I need to find a way for the sled to be shipped to me.

Top Bottom