Work in the Oil Patch to Pay for that New SLED

ChrisH

Reaction score
I was in final weeks of a mining contract and challenged my unemployed friend to apply for a job and said if you get one ill move, he was hired over the phone the next day. We just showed up, it helped that we knew a couple people so had some couches to crash on but had a place 2 weeks later and I got a job the day after we moved in. Was never scared in doing so as there was an abundance of work and I was also guaranteed a job here, just show up with your tool box! Honestly in 8 years I've handed out less then 20 resumes, and switched trades not long after getting here in chase of that almighty dollar. May not be rig cash but it ain't far off, consistent work and pension plan a guy can't complain there.

I totally agree about the finances thing!!! I pissed mine away the first few years, it's really not hard to have automatic pay deductions to put some away.

Sent from my iPhone using

Interesting story. There is still lots of work, but not quite so easy as it was 20 years ago. I remember you could quit one job and walk into the company next door and be hired on the spot. If you arrived before they sent their crew you would go with them - otherwise it was next morning bright and early.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was only in beginning 06 and supposedly we're booming more this year?? Although I'd have to agree the jobs are a bit tougher to get into then they were. Just had a buddy move out this spring, put up his resume on kijiji and he got hired pretty quick. I wouldn't know after the first job I got hired pretty much on arrival at the next two and have had the same one for 6 years... That first job was the only challenge as employers felt they were taking a chance, so I took a job nobody wanted for 3 months, then the next two were the jobs I wanted!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest. I have worked almost 20 years in the patch. Started out on pipeline construction, scaffolding, and helper (swamper) in taking down, moving and setting up drilling rigs. Then I got into the trades for many years until I could not use the tools any longer due to injury. Then I updated drivers license to class 1 and have worked in oil well services for 7 years. Now I am working part time, studied marketing research, and am working on this project because I have met many many people across Canada who would love to make the move but feel stuck and don't know what to do. As well, I have coached others who I worked with and were new to the industry to better understand the industry and the vast types of options/jobs available and helped them get the right job to better suite their abilities and life style. :) Any more questions?
Yes. Sounds like you know the ins and outs. What is your motivation toward helping the poor Easterners? Don't get me wrong, someone needs to tell these guys that you don't just move here, get a $150k job overnight, and work 9-5 with weekends off....because this is what the vast majority expect. I lost count of how many go crying home to welfare/UIC after they find out they actually have to pay some dues and the work is hard. Sounds to me like you are starting some kind of agency or consulting service.

ChrisH

Reaction score
This was only in beginning 06 and supposedly we're booming more this year?? Although I'd have to agree the jobs are a bit tougher to get into then they were. Just had a buddy move out this spring, put up his resume on kijiji and he got hired pretty quick. I wouldn't know after the first job I got hired pretty much on arrival at the next two and have had the same one for 6 years... That first job was the only challenge as employers felt they were taking a chance, so I took a job nobody wanted for 3 months, then the next two were the jobs I wanted!

SIRsleeper, thanks for your input. Sounds like you had a fairly good first experience, and definitely a satisfying outcome in the end. I know many people who would have the same opportunity as you had, but they do not have friends working here and are a little scared to simply move to a new place looking for work in an industry they know nothing about. I also had many friends who worked in the patch and it definitely helped me in the beginning. In fact many of my first jobs here were working with a full crew of friends from my home town working on the same projects. Those were the good ol' days! lol

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed you gotta pay your dues here!!! I've seen many friends go home crying to mom because they're not making 6 figures the first year, and the work is harder then anything they've ever seen... But it's doable, still a couple guys from my hometown that never went back and don't plan on it. I prefer having more then 1 month of crap snow to sled on lol

ChrisH

Reaction score
Yes. Sounds like you know the ins and outs. What is your motivation toward helping the poor Easterners? Don't get me wrong, someone needs to tell these guys that you don't just move here, get a $150k job overnight, and work 9-5 with weekends off....because this is what the vast majority expect. I lost count of how many go crying home to welfare/UIC after they find out they actually have to pay some dues and the work is hard. Sounds to me like you are starting some kind of agency or consulting service.

My motivation is first of all that I have always enjoyed helping people, especially if that is somehow helping to improve their life in some way or other. I have consulted many new people in the industry to get their bearings and better understand how to find the career that best suited their needs and lifestyle. Secondly why this specific project - I have the industry experience and knowledge and have seen how helpful it can be to people who need the information, and how it has helped them make better career choices. There are a lot of people across this country who know nothing about this industry. Just last year my friend from Kamloops called me up looking for some help in finding a job here that meet his experience.

ChrisH

Reaction score
Agreed you gotta pay your dues here!!! I've seen many friends go home crying to mom because they're not making 6 figures the first year, and the work is harder then anything they've ever seen... But it's doable, still a couple guys from my hometown that never went back and don't plan on it. I prefer having more then 1 month of crap snow to sled on lol

Yes that is very common that people know very little what their getting into - very little to no valid industry knowledge. Just hype and rumors that fuel unrealistic expectations for many. But if they know the industry they will understand that 6 figures only comes with experience, and that rough and tough jobs exist everywhere out here - but, there are many easy simple jobs - sit on your ass all day - that make excellent careers and top dollar to boot.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My motivation is first of all that I have always enjoyed helping people, especially if that is somehow helping to improve their life in some way or other. I have consulted many new people in the industry to get their bearings and better understand how to find the career that best suited their needs and lifestyle. Secondly why this specific project - I have the industry experience and knowledge and have seen how helpful it can be to people who need the information, and how it has helped them make better career choices. There are a lot of people across this country who know nothing about this industry. Just last year my friend from Kamloops called me up looking for some help in finding a job here that meet his experience.
So you are a free career counselor, philanthropic oilfield work facilitator? Interesting.

Something smells funny.

ChrisH

Reaction score
I live in Calgary I would like to give it a go I would love to set my self up at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

john, How much work experience do you have. What kind of work have you done?

ChrisH

Reaction score
girlfriend ... doesn't want me to go

azzholes ... I can't stand working with over paid attitudes

unions and politics ... it speaks for itself

Shadam, Those seem like three great reasons if I ever heard any. Thanks for your post.

Top Bottom