Work in the Oil Patch to Pay for that New SLED

ChrisH

Reaction score
Hey Sledders,

Working in Alberta's Oil Patch can be a very lucrative; and a gnarly way to pay for the Latest and :cool:Greatest Sleds and Gear for the slopes!

The reason for my thread is that I am working on a project to help people from east to west who are interested in working in the oil patch but are kinda stuck getting in gear ...lol.

If you are, or have in the past, considered moving to Alberta to work in the pach and felt stuck in what your next move should be, I am interested in hearing your story. :rant:

I would appreciate if you would answer this next question, if you fall into this category.

What are your 3 biggest fears or problems that are either holding you back, or that is making the decision to move most difficult.

I really appreciate all comments very much! Your information will be put to good use, and I will post updates to my progress with this topic for anybody who is interested.

edit Nov.20.
I have gotten a great response to my thread and I appreciate the interaction. BUT< I am really interested in hearing from people who are having difficulty in making the move to work in Alberta's oilfields and your 3 biggest questions you need answers to make the move. ie. is it family, money, experience, understanding you job options, etc etc.

PLEASE Note that I am not a job agency, I am not offering any jobs or any other services at this time. I am simply gathering information to help me develop a program to help people who want to move to Alberta for oilfield work.

Last edited:

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in Calgary I would like to give it a go I would love to set my self up at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pack a vehicle full of necessities and bring a tent (I recommend summertime), get your ass to Alberta (get the CAA/AMA book, there's free campgrounds across Canada), bathe in a lake, or flying J whatever floats your boat, and go talk to some employers. Change your area code as soon as you get here and update your resume with a local address (shows commitment, go balls deep on this one, you're an Albertan for life now).... Good as gold! It worked in 06 and I can't see why it wouldn't work now. If going the rig route you'll need your oil sands safety training before applying. I've stuck to trades and am sticking to that decision even after becoming a journeyman here... Though rig money is still tempting (would be a paycut to start for me but pay off after moving up). You don't get no where in life without a little risk and taking chances! I risked being homeless coming here broke as a joke and I'd do it all over again if I had to!

Sent from my iPhone using

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many days a month would I have to work??

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many days a month would I have to work??
For the prospective rig hands - most shifts run two weeks in / 1 week out, some are 20 days in / 10 days out. The higher you go, the higher the responsibility, and the larger the cheque. I wouldn't consider this season busy, but I've worked 118 days this year to date, and am enjoying 3 weeks off currently. The things they won't tell you: hard on family life, shutdowns, spring break (road bans), no such thing as a sick day, and it is hard work with a very steep learning curve. I used to be employed in the trades, but came out to the rigs for the money, which I did find here. Live within your means and avoid the new house / truck / peelers and other assorted bad habits, bank what you don't need, and you'll be fine.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a job on the Rig, Finance a Truck, Fall in love with a Stripper. Alberta Dream baby.

Actually my buddy did just this.

Is a consultant for huskey now lol.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been working in the patch for 36 years. I've worked with a lot of awesome people from all over Canada in my career. I highly recommend ambitious folks to come to Alberta to work the patch, BUT be very careful with your spending habits. This indrustry is very fickle. I've seen a lot of good hard working families good down the tube financially because they were lured into the industry with big dollar signs in their eyes. After a year of making big bucks to many people got themselves into debt with homes, trucks, cars, sleds, quads, big TV's, you name it and a year or two later the Oil patch decides to pout about the cost of doing business. So they shut down for a couple years and starve us out.

It has ruined lives, sent people back to where they come from broke with a bad credit rating. All I'm saying guys is, come on to the patch but be careful with your spending habits. Get your self a moderate home, go ahead and buy that sled, if that is your dream but don't get in over your head. Put some money in bank to get you through the next down turn in the patch. Why? Because there will be another slow time in the patch. I guarantee it. Cheers and good luck.

ChrisH

Reaction score
I live in Calgary I would like to give it a go I would love to set my self up at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.
Hey John,

Thanks for your reply to my thread. Would you mind elaborating on the details about what you would like to accomplish.

As well, is there anything that is preventing you from making the final decision to work in the patch.

I am interested in hearing your story.

ChrisH

Reaction score

Hey great for your buddy. There are a lot of opportunities available that most people know nothing about. Fun, interesting jobs with high pay.

ChrisH

Reaction score
For the prospective rig hands - most shifts run two weeks in / 1 week out, some are 20 days in / 10 days out. The higher you go, the higher the responsibility, and the larger the cheque. I wouldn't consider this season busy, but I've worked 118 days this year to date, and am enjoying 3 weeks off currently. The things they won't tell you: hard on family life, shutdowns, spring break (road bans), no such thing as a sick day, and it is hard work with a very steep learning curve. I used to be employed in the trades, but came out to the rigs for the money, which I did find here. Live within your means and avoid the new house / truck / peelers and other assorted bad habits, bank what you don't need, and you'll be fine.

It's all too easy to make it and spend it. A part of the program I am developing will help people, who are interested, to understand how easy it is to make lots of cash and still work check to check. Thus to implement some kind of money management program.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all too easy to make it and spend it. A part of the program I am developing will help people, who are interested, to understand how easy it is to make lots of cash and still work check to check. Thus to implement some kind of money management program.
How old are you? What is your work background now?

ChrisH

Reaction score
Pack a vehicle full of necessities and bring a tent (I recommend summertime), get your ass to Alberta (get the CAA/AMA book, there's free campgrounds across Canada), bathe in a lake, or flying J whatever floats your boat, and go talk to some employers. Change your area code as soon as you get here and update your resume with a local address (shows commitment, go balls deep on this one, you're an Albertan for life now).... Good as gold! It worked in 06 and I can't see why it wouldn't work now. If going the rig route you'll need your oil sands safety training before applying. I've stuck to trades and am sticking to that decision even after becoming a journeyman here... Though rig money is still tempting (would be a paycut to start for me but pay off after moving up). You don't get no where in life without a little risk and taking chances! I risked being homeless coming here broke as a joke and I'd do it all over again if I had to!

SIRsleeper, Thanks for your reply - and congratulations on your success as a tradesman. There are many opportunities and I meet people all the time who do not know exactly how to make the move. Can you elaborate on your beginnings... lol. What were your fears before moving - what almost prevented you from moving. And how did you get your first Big Break? How was life the first few months or couple years? I would really appreciate your story. :)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ive lived in AB 30years I know quite a few consultants that did this program. Great money,, but if yer paying 10g a month to the X might as well shoot yourself in the head..lol

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
girlfriend ... doesn't want me to go

azzholes ... I can't stand working with over paid attitudes

unions and politics ... it speaks for itself

ChrisH

Reaction score
How old are you? What is your work background now?

Thanks for your interest. I have worked almost 20 years in the patch. Started out on pipeline construction, scaffolding, and helper (swamper) in taking down, moving and setting up drilling rigs. Then I got into the trades for many years until I could not use the tools any longer due to injury. Then I updated drivers license to class 1 and have worked in oil well services for 7 years. Now I am working part time, studied marketing research, and am working on this project because I have met many many people across Canada who would love to make the move but feel stuck and don't know what to do. As well, I have coached others who I worked with and were new to the industry to better understand the industry and the vast types of options/jobs available and helped them get the right job to better suite their abilities and life style. :) Any more questions?

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in final weeks of a mining contract and challenged my unemployed friend to apply for a job and said if you get one ill move, he was hired over the phone the next day. We just showed up, it helped that we knew a couple people so had some couches to crash on but had a place 2 weeks later and I got a job the day after we moved in. Was never scared in doing so as there was an abundance of work and I was also guaranteed a job here, just show up with your tool box! Honestly in 8 years I've handed out less then 20 resumes, and switched trades not long after getting here in chase of that almighty dollar. May not be rig cash but it ain't far off, consistent work and pension plan a guy can't complain there.

I totally agree about the finances thing!!! I pissed mine away the first few years, it's really not hard to have automatic pay deductions to put some away.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384961638814.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384961638814.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 183
Top Bottom