Women Harley owners advise wanted....

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello ladies ....Just contemplating a new Harley ........I like the Harley Sportster 883 Custom and have also looked at the Sportster 1200 Custom......Any experience with either or advise on the model you ride or have tried .....Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated ....!!

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on ladies ...........You can't tell me NO ONE rides a Harley here or knows someone who does ................

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no lady, but my bosses girlfriend rides a sporty 1200 low. She digs the power it makes. She wants to put forward controls on it to make the ride more comfy, and she had it lowered some.

I would think the 1200 would be a good plan if you ever intend to take a passenger, or carry a fair amount of luggage. That extra power would likely be appreciated if you had a full bike and were heading uphill.

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no lady, but my bosses girlfriend rides a sporty 1200 low. She digs the power it makes. She wants to put forward controls on it to make the ride more comfy, and she had it lowered some.

I would think the 1200 would be a good plan if you ever intend to take a passenger, or carry a fair amount of luggage. That extra power would likely be appreciated if you had a full bike and were heading uphill.

Thanks my hubby thinks the 1200 is a better plan too , good to know!!

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for what it's worth...
I would put my wife on a softail rocker or a softail cross bones before the sportster..

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife got herself a new Heritage this year !!
there's no stopping her....

Attachments

• P7060007.jpg
    P7060007.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 48

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i bought my wife an 883 sportster for her birtday and she loves it she isnt ready for the 1200cc so if u havnt rode bike before get the 883 or if u ride lots get the 1200 her 883 has the screaming eagle stage one on it and it seems to have good power well thats my 2 cents:d

Attachments

• jens new harley 001.jpg
    jens new harley 001.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 51

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i bought my wife an 883 sportster for her birtday and she loves it she isnt ready for the 1200cc so if u havnt rode bike before get the 883 or if u ride lots get the 1200 her 883 has the screaming eagle stage one on it and it seems to have good power well thats my 2 cents:d

Nice bike ............Good advice !!

Ms. Swimmer

Reaction score
I ride a suzuki marauder 250. No not a big bike but it is a bike I feel comfortable on and have control over. I have been asked by many people when I will get a bigger bike...........I don't want one!!! I LOVE my bike.

My deal is this...how much riding experience do you have? what are you going to use your bike for? have you taken any motorcyle training? can you handle a bike like that? and most importantly do YOU feel comfortable on that bike, not what hubby or the neighbor or the kid etc want you to have?

I am seeing more and more women riders all the time. Sometimes though I just cringe and shake my head because they have these big bikes and have absolutely no control over them and are more of a hazard on the rode than anything.

Remember ALL the gear ALL the time!

036.jpg

Last edited:

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a lady, but my neighbour has the 1200 and loves it. I actually have a 883 right now. It may not be the most powerful, but it is still a blast to drive.
P1000341.jpg

Just a thought, you can also buy an 883, and once you're comfortable with it, then upgrade it to a 1200. It's an easy job and only costs about $800US.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a 2007 Wide Glide and totally love it! My best advice to you before deciding on what you like is to sit on them all and see what fits you the best!

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are a lot of things to consider.
what type of riding are you planning to do ?
if you are doing any highway riding, I would definately go with a softail.
what type of helmet are you wanting / planning to wear, open faced / full closed faced helmet. a windshield is nice to keep the bugs and wind off the face.
If you are riding mostly on the streets in Fort MacLeod then a smaller bike without a windshield is the right choice.
Put 5 hours of riding on the bike on a weekend trip without a closed faced helmet or a windshield and you will know what I mean.
My wife went with the Heritage because of the luggage and the windshield. Other bikes like the sportster you have to add them afterwards $$$$ and in my mind they don't look like they belong on the bike.
And if your riding in the city you can take the accessories off the bike and put them away in the closet for the next bike trip, and you still have a sweet looking ride.

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your mostly city riding i would look at a sportster, more nimble. But if thats not the case my wife wants a dyna low... im more inclined to a victory vegas low

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
there are a lot of things to consider.
what type of riding are you planning to do ?
if you are doing any highway riding, I would definately go with a softail.
what type of helmet are you wanting / planning to wear, open faced / full closed faced helmet. a windshield is nice to keep the bugs and wind off the face.
If you are riding mostly on the streets in Fort MacLeod then a smaller bike without a windshield is the right choice.
Put 5 hours of riding on the bike on a weekend trip without a closed faced helmet or a windshield and you will know what I mean.
My wife went with the Heritage because of the luggage and the windshield. Other bikes like the sportster you have to add them afterwards $$$$ and in my mind they don't look like they belong on the bike.
And if your riding in the city you can take the accessories off the bike and put them away in the closet for the next bike trip, and you still have a sweet looking ride.

Probably some of the best advice right there. Go sit on all of them and see which one fits you best and which one you like the best. There are two dealers in Edm. Heritage Harley on the southside and the Harley Dealer on Yellowhead trail. If you are riding alone somewhere and put it on it's side you need to be able to right it. No place better to check out weight then in the showroom. Just my two cents. Glad you considering it! More ladies need to get out and ride!! :d:d Try em when you guys come up for the sled show!!

Top Bottom