Witch quad to buy

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a 2015/16 quad. Have and sled and kx250, thinking I should get a quad to fill in. Plus I would like to plow the drive way seeing how we are moving to a large acrage this summer as well as use it for hunting and trail rides. been looking at Arctic cat 550-700 or maybe a 650 cam am. Have been on a older AC 400 that my friend bought and have to say I liked it. Lots of low-end power for rock crawling, and could tell it would have been great for plowing with the low-end power.
So what do you all think? Thanks for any info in advance!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Can-Am 650 is a brute - lots of power, maybe a bit abrupt for plowing snow, but a good quad. I had a 500XT which was a fun ride, but didn't like cold weather starting. My current plow unit is a 2011 Cat 450 with 4700 km of plowing snow and generally working its a$$ off its whole life with no issues or failures, always starts in the coldest weather without being plugged in or stored in a heated garage. Perhaps not as "sporty" as the Can Am, but reliable as a hammer, worlds better then our previous Sportsman 550. Just my experience, others may feel differently...

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a Canam 650 or bigger you won't regret it

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AC quads seem to be hit or miss as far as reliability goes. If you are not looking for huge power take a look at a grizzly. Probably on of the most reliable quads out there. Has good power but just not the v-twin snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did what you are looking for.
Small cc grunt with low end torqe.

It's nice to find a dealer that you can work with when if you need service at some point.
Keep in mind that it is nice to have them close by, and where there is more then a few in the Provinces you live in since one never knows where we are going to live in 3 or 10 years.

Would be nice if you find something that needs next to nill for work since reliabilty gose along ways for many years of care-free riding. I just picked up a new unit for $7258 out the door with winch and 2 years warranty.

The stock tires will get run off in 2 years, I added front/ rear boxes, and a few things I need for trail riding. Axe, saw, fire starter, snatch-block, small roll of extra cable, small slings, and 1 set of tire chains.

Find a dealer and brand that fits your needs as this will put a smile on your face every-time you fire it up to ride foot loose and fancy.

Pal Lem

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Can-Am 650 is a brute - lots of power, maybe a bit abrupt for plowing snow, but a good quad. I had a 500XT which was a fun ride, but didn't like cold weather starting. My current plow unit is a 2011 Cat 450 with 4700 km of plowing snow and generally working its a$$ off its whole life with no issues or failures, always starts in the coldest weather without being plugged in or stored in a heated garage. Perhaps not as "sporty" as the Can Am, but reliable as a hammer, worlds better then our previous Sportsman 550. Just my experience, others may feel differently...

Thanks so much. That really helps.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Outlander 650 is a beast and a very nice ride. If your are considering an AC 500 or 700, I strongly urge you to have a look at the Grizzly because they have really good clutching, are super reliable, and are easy to work on. It largely depends on the type of rider you are. If you spend all your time in the skeg and mud, you might favor the Grizzly over the Outty. If you don't see much mud and like more technical riding or fast trail riding, the Outty will probably make you a lot happier - the power of the Outty is unreal compared to the Grizzly. I still love my Grizzly's, but I did always find myself wanting more power - with the Airdam clutching, I didn't really need any more power, but I found myself wanting it anyway.

bsoluk

Reaction score
Your best choices are Can am outlander,grizzly 700,or brute force. The Arctic cat quads seem to be low on power.

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did what you are looking for.
Small cc grunt with low end torqe.

It's nice to find a dealer that you can work with when if you need service at some point.
Keep in mind that it is nice to have them close by, and where there is more then a few in the Provinces you live in since one never knows where we are going to live in 3 or 10 years

Would be nice if you find something that needs next to nill for work since reliabilty gose along ways for many years of care-free riding. I just picked up a new unit for $7258 out the door with winch and 2 years warranty.

The stock tires will get run off in 2 years, I added front/ rear boxes, and a few things I need for trail riding. Axe, saw, fire starter, snatch-block, small roll of extra cable, small slings, and 1 set of tire chains.

Find a dealer and brand that fits your needs as this will put a smile on your face every-time you fire it up to ride foot loose and fancy.

Pal Lem

So what did you buy and from what dealer?

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I like technical riding and trails most. Play a little in the mud. Need it to plow snow. Plus who does not like power!

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what did you buy and from what dealer?

Ended up with my 4th Honda. I did the frugal price 420 with manual steering and foot shift, no gps for me since I have my own.

We still have 2 of the 4 Hondas at farm, and the others we sold off when they got miled out. 1 had 22.000 kms, the other had 34.000 k.
Nether was services once they left the dealer. Oil changes once a year.

Plan from day one is to ride less working on them since we have other things to consume our time.

Pal Lem. PS: All units are pretty good these days, so find what brand you like and a dealer that works "with" you if something needs fixing down the road. Our friendly dealer is 20 kms from our door if we need any thing. Plus they have been good friends for 46 years.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Just a heads up. Can Am, for sure, are definitely maintenance whores. The others may be too, but Can Am definitely needs greasing often. And the OE brakes are complete garbage.

But, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the power. Worth the maintenance, for sure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never found mine to need more then other machines but I agree with the pads. No one I asked has ever got more then 300kms out of a set. Of course they won't warranty them. Put in the aftermarket and still going strong 1500kms later.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Actually, I've heard that if you get back to the dealer in the warranty period with 300 or less miles with worn out pads, that they WILL replace them under warranty.

I also read of guys with less than 100km with worn out pads. I have about 180km on my new machine and when I put the new wheels and tires on it a couple weeks ago, my pads still looked like new.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they finally changed them for 16? I had around 300 on my machine when I took it in for its first service to Martin. They said my pads were done and asked if I wanted them done. I said sure since it is under warranty and was told no. It was under my dime. I said no thanks and bought front and rear from Rapid.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Can't really blame the dealer as much as BRP. They should have better pads on there to start with. You are paying a premium price for the machine.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can am decided back in mid 09 that they where going to change there manufacturer of brake pads.... the 2010 models most of them still had the good brakes... i know.... my 2010 rene... i got, no joke and no lie... 3800 km on them and they still had 30 % left...this last year when my race driven where worn out i put them back in for the rest of the year till i changed back to another set of race driven.... lol

it was about 2011 or 12 that the pads went to crap... bad move on brp's part... its the same with there G2 diffs... the tolerances they build into these Gen 2 diffs... they dont last long... thats why there is specializtes the do that sort of work and make your diffs way way stronger on the cam ams....

Last edited:

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. Can Am, for sure, are definitely maintenance whores. The others may be too, but Can Am definitely needs greasing often. And the OE brakes are complete garbage.

But, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the power. Worth the maintenance, for sure.

Well greasing is not that bad i can handle that. is that all they need for reg maint. Being a auto mechanic im big on maint.

kawasakikx250

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never found mine to need more then other machines but I agree with the pads. No one I asked has ever got more then 300kms out of a set. Of course they won't warranty them. Put in the aftermarket and still going strong 1500kms later.
that is pathetic

Top Bottom