Winterized trailers

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Well it is that time

I have done mine now

I use antifreze, what do you guys use ? Blow the lines out or what?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are using the rv anitfreeze right? :beer: I attach a hose from the pump to the antifreeze and run each tap and toilet till it shows pink. This is after everything is drained. No need to blow out the lines. Dont forget to drain your hot water tank. I still havent replaced mine since that year..........

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it is that time

I have done mine now

I use antifreze, what do you guys use ? Blow the lines out or what?

Blow. Bahhhh

I use antifreeze don't blow.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use air to blow the lines ect out .... and window washer fluid for the pee traps ....

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are using the rv anitfreeze right? :beer: I attach a hose from the pump to the antifreeze and run each tap and toilet till it shows pink. This is after everything is drained. No need to blow out the lines. Dont forget to drain your hot water tank. I still havent replaced mine since that year..........

Don't replace, get it welded. Cheaper. We have done many RV hot water tanks.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan using just air to blow the lines out. You never really know if you getting all the water out, and any water left in will pool in the low spots. You could also over pressurize the system if you don't regulate the air pressure to 40-50 lbs. If you do blow them out, you should also put antifreeze in all the drains of the sinks/tub/toilet to remove any water left in the traps or they could freeze and break.

If you use antifreeze, the safest solution is to use the RV antifreeze. It is the least toxic option. I have heard of people using windshield washer fluid because it cheaper, but it is highly toxic so you probably don't want to be drinking water out of the holding tank for a while after that. If you bypass the hot water tank and suck it directly from the jug it should only take 2 gallons to do most trailers.

I know the RV antifreeze leaves an odor/taste in the system as well, but at least it won't kill you. If this is a problem, you can always blow the lines out after using it to limit it.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I use rv antifreze
Got it all done now

I also fill the tanks right to the top and go for a quick drive ..sloshes the water around and gets the chit tickets off the sensors

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you open your low point valves and drain before anti freeze then close them up

rgashkei

Reaction score
Antifreeze. I remember the first time I did it, so paranoid I used 5 gallons. Barely use a gallon now hooked right to the pump with the water heater by passed.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
wow..i use 3 4L jugs,,maybe i am paranoid..lol
Antifreeze. I remember the first time I did it, so paranoid I used 5 gallons. Barely use a gallon now hooked right to the pump with the water heater by passed.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant stand the taste of the water after using the RV antifreeze, no matter how much I flush them in the spring...so for the last 30 years have been blowing the lines out.....

and yes you dont get in a rush, I run the compressor at 45 lbs and hook directly to the water intake and slowing go through and open taps form one end to the other, we have a large enough volume compressor to handle it....I go trough the trialer three times usually works untill there isnt even any mist coming out with the air, then I blow out the drians using a rubber bung with a hole in the center...when thats all done I do add some windshield washer fluild into the drians...leave all the values open, remove the shower nozzel, it goes into the house with the box of soaps, cleaners and other stuff that normally stays in the trailer ...have never had a problem and no antifreeze after taste...

Camper's even easier, just park it in the shop....it's heated....LOL

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blow with a chubby valve stem and air tank into the city water connection.

Short bursts for each tap then out the low drain last.

Leave the low drain open all winter

sent from my htc

Top Bottom