Winter Tires

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for the info stompin Tom! Might just have to try these out for the summer this year and back to winters in the fall.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the toyo WLT1’s, great on ice, not great on loose snow as they have small treads that don’t clean out. Switched to studded Duratracs, much better on loose snow/slush and equal on ice.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Had the toyo WLT1’s, great on ice, not great on loose snow as they have small treads that don’t clean out. Switched to studded Duratracs, much better on loose snow/slush and equal on ice.
How would a Duratrac tire that is hockey puck hard rubber in the winter be possibly better on icy roads that an actual winter only radial which has rubber that stays soft and pliable in cold temperatures. I have both sets of tires, and Yes the duratracks are better in deep snow, as any mud or all terrain tire would be but not better on icy roads. I was going to the mountains every weekend with my duratracks and had to have my truck in 4wd all the way or I was all over the place, stopping was terrible. I dont have that issue with WLT1's at all, like velco on the highways now. I use the duratracks in the summer, maybe studded they get the grip on ice from the studs but defiantly not the hocky puck hard treads. My WLT1's are on there third season and id get threm again but there quite pricy, i will try Winter only radials / studded from Kal Tire tire. Im pretty sold on winter only designated tires from going on trips with Summitric and SBR, and prefer winter rated rubber with studs and all my vehicles. All Terrain tires are not winter tires, yes they can be studded but they still have the rubber that doesn't function the same as a true winter designated tire. Im trying these for next season as they a bit cheaper and they have a 10ply version, https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/ti...?cgid=nokianTruck#infiniteScroll=true&start=1

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would a Duratrac tire that is hockey puck hard rubber in the winter be possibly better on icy roads that an actual winter only radial which has rubber that stays soft and pliable in cold temperatures. I have both sets of tires, and Yes the duratracks are better in deep snow, as any mud or all terrain tire would be but not better on icy roads. I was going to the mountains every weekend with my duratracks and had to have my truck in 4wd all the way or I was all over the place, stopping was terrible. I dont have that issue with WLT1's at all, like velco on the highways now. I use the duratracks in the summer, maybe studded they get the grip on ice from the studs but defiantly not the hocky puck hard treads. My WLT1's are on there third season and id get threm again but there quite pricy, i will try Winter only radials / studded from Kal Tire tire. Im pretty sold on winter only designated tires from going on trips with Summitric and SBR, and prefer winter rated rubber with studs and all my vehicles. All Terrain tires are not winter tires, yes they can be studded but they still have the rubber that doesn't function the same as a true winter designated tire. Im trying these for next season as they a bit cheaper and they have a 10ply version, https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/ti...?cgid=nokianTruck#infiniteScroll=true&start=1

My duratracs are winter rated,( they have the snowflake) and are very soft.
I’m on my second set of them only because I bought a new truck, but they are strictly my winter tire. I seen what happens to duratracs when they are used for summer and winter.

The guy at Goodyear in town told me there is a difference in the duratrac you buy from them, vs the ones you can get at crappy tire. Dunno if it’s true or not, probably a sales pitch, but I’m pretty pleased with the performance of mine all these winters, especially for the price I can get them for. 20” 10ply are not cheap tires, Hawks are a excellent tire but they do not come in my tire size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My duratracs are winter rated,( they have the snowflake) and are very soft.
I’m on my second set of them only because I bought a new truck, but they are strictly my winter tire. I seen what happens to duratracs when they are used for summer and winter.

The guy at Goodyear in town told me there is a difference in the duratrac you buy from them, vs the ones you can get at crappy tire. Dunno if it’s true or not, probably a sales pitch, but I’m pretty pleased with the performance of mine all these winters, especially for the price I can get them for. 20” 10ply are not cheap tires, Hawks are a excellent tire but they do not come in my tire size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duratrac are still an All Season Tire, right on the goodyear site, yes there winter rated, they are designed for all seasons. Yes they have snowflake like many of the all seasons radials for trucks. They still don't have the same rubber compound as a typical designated winter only radial. On regular tires at roughly 7 deg C the rubber becomes less pliable and starts getting harder and on winter only designated tires the rubber stays pliable, however the disadvantage of this is winter tires wear out quickly on dry pavement in warmer temperatures.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Hawks are a excellent tire but they do not come in my tire size.
I found at Kal Tire they had larger Hawks that were 10 ply this year. Im going to check them out and see what they offer. They seem to have more grips and a bit less studs but they say there effective. Now I need a new set of summer tires for my truck, may try to run these duratracks for the season and switch out in the fall.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if they gotten better over the years but I wouldn’t buy dura tracks if I had weight on my truck all the time. When they first came out we put them on our welding trucks. They gripped good and wore pretty decent. But they wouldn’t keep a side wall in them. Pretty much everyone that ran them lost a side wall.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if they gotten better over the years but I wouldn’t buy dura tracks if I had weight on my truck all the time. When they first came out we put them on our welding trucks. They gripped good and wore pretty decent. But they wouldn’t keep a side wall in them. Pretty much everyone that ran them lost a side wall.

Were they D or E rated? I've heard the d rated doing that.

I have them on my 3/4 ton dodge and have overloaded the truck and my e rated tires never squatted or blew. On my 1/2 ton chev they are very squatty.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run what you like. Guy was asking opinions. I’ll never run a tire that doesn’t clean out again. Rarely is it just ice.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were they D or E rated? I've heard the d rated doing that.

I have them on my 3/4 ton dodge and have overloaded the truck and my e rated tires never squatted or blew. On my 1/2 ton chev they are very squatty.

E rated for sure. But these were heavy one ton srw trucks. Never took the skid out of them

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I giggled at little. If you're driving down a rutted out, washboard, rough as f@ck gravel road and someone goes flying by at a buck ten, that truck is guaranteed to have a welding skid in the back. I've often wonder how some welders keep the axles under their trucks, never mind tires.

We did have reasonable luck with the duratracs on our welding trucks though, but we always got the highest ply rating that was available, a 300D in a skid with bottles, tools, pipestands, etc generally put the rear axle right at max weight. We haven't run them in the past 5 years though, sold our trucks, way cheaper and less painful to hire contractors, that way they can pay to fix their sh!t when they break it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For winter tires I am dead set on Nokians, IMO they are the best money can buy.

Just make sure you get the studded ones, winter tires are better on ice than all seasons, but studded winters are that much better again.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Duratracs are an all terrain, all-weather tire… not an all season or a winter tire. They’re snowflake/mountain designated, but they’ll never be as good as a true winter tire, or ice tire. They are noisy, no question about it.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I giggled at little. If you're driving down a rutted out, washboard, rough as f@ck gravel road and someone goes flying by at a buck ten, that truck is guaranteed to have a welding skid in the back. I've often wonder how some welders keep the axles under their trucks, never mind tires.

We did have reasonable luck with the duratracs on our welding trucks though, but we always got the highest ply rating that was available, a 300D in a skid with bottles, tools, pipestands, etc generally put the rear axle right at max weight. We haven't run them in the past 5 years though, sold our trucks, way cheaper and less painful to hire contractors, that way they can pay to fix their sh!t when they break it.

Crazy how we used to drive with welding trucks. Toyo Mt lasted and took the abuse the best but like stated above sucked on ice. The dura tracks were better on ice. But like I said that was when they first came out in about 04-05

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
For winter tires I am dead set on Nokians, IMO they are the best money can buy.

Just make sure you get the studded ones, winter tires are better on ice than all seasons, but studded winters are that much better again.
Which Nokians, E rated as well and winter only tire?

Sorry if my opinion about Duratracks is not great, they came on my 1 ton from the factory, very noisy tire. And they stared wearing strange right from new, brought them in to both GM and Goodyear and there was so many excuses not to cover under warranty. I live 30 minutes west of the city of Edmonton, the roads are very crummy on that stretch in parts of the winter. Without studs on my duratracks I was sliding around even in 4wd. Switched to winters and feel a lot safer and don't slide around at all. I do admit though I would like a tire with some deeper lugs for deeper snow like the staging areas after a good snowfall.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The LT3 is for the heavy duty trucks. IIRC they don't come in letter load ratings, but they do have capacities high enough for 1 ton trucks. Yes these are winter specific tires.

My dad has been running the Nokian Rotivas on his Duramax, seemed to do well, not a studded winter, but quite good for an all weather tire.

We run Hakkepeliitta 9 on my wife's Colorado, and ran the Hak 8's previously on her Jeep. But don't have the load capacity for large SUV's or pickups. Both have been excellent, I call her truck the rally truck when we get freezing rain, it's pretty fun to drive on the slick streets, she's less impressed than I am of course.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy how we used to drive with welding trucks. Toyo Mt lasted and took the abuse the best but like stated above sucked on ice. The dura tracks were better on ice. But like I said that was when they first came out in about 04-05

Toyo MT's are absolute trash on snow and ice. I ran a set for a few weeks just around the city before I took them off, any skiff of snow and they are spinning it's like driving on hockey pucks. Put on Nitto mud grapplers and they are a million times better tire, and are just as aggressive MT if not more, they wear fast but way better tire.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry if my opinion about Duratracks is not great, they came on my 1 ton from the factory, very noisy tire. And they stared wearing strange right from new, brought them in to both GM and Goodyear and there was so many excuses not to cover under warranty. I live 30 minutes west of the city of Edmonton, the roads are very crummy on that stretch in parts of the winter. Without studs on my duratracks I was sliding around even in 4wd. Switched to winters and feel a lot safer and don't slide around at all. I do admit though I would like a tire with some deeper lugs for deeper snow like the staging areas after a good snowfall.
Do you carry any weight in the box? Haven't seen anyone point this out. I carry 20 sand bags in my 3500.

Top Bottom