Winter tire use rising dramatically: study

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it went up by that percentage because that's how many "new Albertans" are here now.
Those people.....shoulda stayed wherever they came from

I run winter tires on all my vehicle. I didn’t always, but do now.

Also, ‘Berta born

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else on here finding that drivers period is a problem? Back in the day we learnt to stay on the road, winter conditions we slipped and slide all over but ones driving skills improved and you applied power and steered into the skid. Now I try to drive and my truck derates and the brakes come on as I steer into my drift...at this point I wonder wtf as the traction control now releases everything and into the ditch you go.
salts, deicers are all but smoke and mirrors, I can’t tell if the roads wet or freezing. Wish we could go back to a time when winter was winter and people learn to drive. Now?.. the crap I see make me wounded how any of these people got a licence.
Oh Sorry I said these people.

I’m a fan of winter tires, and AWD. Traction control sucks though! I can’t stand it when you start to slide, counter steer, and all you get is T/C kicking in

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the guy that never needed winter tires. Always figured a good set of all season can’t much worse. Then we got my step daughter winter tires studded on her Awd dodge 1/2 ton. And wow is it crazy how they grip.

Exactly!!
If you argue the fact about winters you have never had them . IMO
They are unreal but like others have said ? Until you get into heavy snow and deeper conditions then the Duratrac type are way better on heavier vehicles.

lgallant

Reaction score
Just put a set of duracraps on the gmc half ton. Strictly winter tires are the way to go but if you work for a company that will only let you have one set and limited options (fountain tire) I choose the duratracks
As they are studdable. Took off the bf k02 which are an ok tire but are sketchy at best for winter driving. The duratracks are 4 ply and 10 ply. You have to jump to a 275 to get the 10. Which will barely fit on a newer gmc half ton without rubbing. Have tried the 4 ply and they don’t hold up that well.
The bf k02 hold up way better than the duratrack but don’t have the same traction and are not studdable. Pick you poison.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly!!
If you argue the fact about winters you have never had them . IMO
They are unreal but like others have said ? Until you get into heavy snow and deeper conditions then the Duratrac type are way better on heavier vehicles.

I had Duratracs in winter on my old diesel. Not studded thought and they were good but not winter tire good. And the winter tires we got my daughter were Black lion OK tires house brand, can only imagine a high end tire would be even better.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded tires I put on my ProMaster City front wheel drive van are nothing short of amazing.

On icy glazed roads they are superb/amazing/incredible/mind boggling for braking and steering. You get the point.

They are ok in snow and when accelerating in ice, but they are not in the same league as they are when braking and steering on ice.

I will definitely be getting another set.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We have been running the Nokians for quite a few years. On the wife's Hyundai Genesis Coupe (rear wheel drive), driving back and forth to the Pass for work she had the new Hakkapelitta 9's and I definitely could use all of FernieHawk's adjectives!! I wished they made those tires in 10 ply for my truck.

I find that icy highways/streets and snow covered logging roads/staging areas to be two quite different beasts. The studded highway tires suck in the later and that is where the 4x4 is nice. Once again, momentum is key to getting around in a staging area that has 12"+ of fresh on it!!

Top Bottom