Winter tire use rising dramatically: study

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]November 18, 2019 by Allan Janssen[FONT=&quot][/FONT][h=1]Winter tire use rising dramatically: study[/h][FONT=&quot]A new survey shows that winter tire use in Canada has risen sharply over the past five years, but driver education about safety benefits remains essential to wintertime road safety.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Tire and Rubber Association of Canada’s 2019 Canadian Consumer Winter Tire Study, conducted by Leger, finds that 69 per cent of Canadian drivers outside Quebec, where winter tires are mandated by law, now ride on winter tires – up from 51 per cent in 2014.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One reason for this jump is driver experience: 80 per cent of Canadian drivers with winter tires say their tires have saved them from a hazardous driving situation such as loss of control or a collision.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Among those not using winter tires,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* 51 per cent believe all-seasons are “good enough”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* 18 per cent say they do not use winter tires because they do not drive much in winter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* 17 per cent say cost is their reason for not using winter tires[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“The millions of Canadian drivers who have adopted winter tires should be credited with preventing countless collisions and saving lives,” says Glenn Maidment, president of TRAC. “But more education is needed to convince the remaining 30 per cent of drivers outside of Quebec to seriously consider changing over to winter tires for cold-weather driving. The superior grip and shorter stopping distances provided by winter tires are simply too important to the road safety of all traffic participants to ignore. The fact that 80 per cent of winter tire users believe their tires have saved them from loss of control or a collision speaks for itself.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regionally, the 2019 study found:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* 68 per cent of British Columbia drivers use winter tires[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Alberta’s usage rate is 63 per cent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* In Manitoba and Saskatchewan usage stands at 59 per cent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* 69 per cent of Ontario drivers now use winter tires[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* In Atlantic Canada, where winter tire usage is surpassed only by Quebec, winter tire usage stands at 91 per cent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The most common reasons why nearly a third of drivers still resist winter tires are the belief that all-season tires are good enough (51 per cent), reduced driving in winter (18 per cent) and cost (17 per cent).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TRAC has just released a new report detailing winter tire use in Canada and the latest market data. It is available HERE.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The superior performance of winter tires is the result of advanced tread designs and rubber compounds. Winter tires feature softer tread compounds that retain flexibility even in extremely cold conditions. At temperatures at or below 7 degrees Celsius, the traction capabilities of winter tires provide greater grip on all cold-weather road surfaces and significantly shorter stopping distances.

[/FONT]

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it went up by that percentage because that's how many "new Albertans" are here now.
Those people.....shoulda stayed wherever they came from

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive always used winter tires, way better than all seasons. Now insurance companies give discounts for winter tire users.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had winter tires for one winter and guess what, it was then the only accident I've been in. Winter tires dont stop other idiots from hitting you. Not driving like you're invincible is more valuable than winter tires IMO but to each their own

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else on here finding that drivers period is a problem? Back in the day we learnt to stay on the road, winter conditions we slipped and slide all over but ones driving skills improved and you applied power and steered into the skid. Now I try to drive and my truck derates and the brakes come on as I steer into my drift...at this point I wonder wtf as the traction control now releases everything and into the ditch you go.
salts, deicers are all but smoke and mirrors, I can’t tell if the roads wet or freezing. Wish we could go back to a time when winter was winter and people learn to drive. Now?.. the crap I see make me wounded how any of these people got a licence.
Oh Sorry I said these people.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else on here finding that drivers period is a problem? Back in the day we learnt to stay on the road, winter conditions we slipped and slide all over but ones driving skills improved and you applied power and steered into the skid. Now I try to drive and my truck derates and the brakes come on as I steer into my drift...at this point I wonder wtf as the traction control now releases everything and into the ditch you go.
salts, deicers are all but smoke and mirrors, I can’t tell if the roads wet or freezing. Wish we could go back to a time when winter was winter and people learn to drive. Now?.. the crap I see make me wounded how any of these people got a licence.

I agree, to many safety electronics. Auto AWD etc.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed in my area (Red Deer county) that the current highways maintenance provider, is apparently adverse to actually spreading sand or salt OR to even put the blade down on the trucks. Worst roads I’ve seen in 7 yrs out here. Glad I run studded tires all-round.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed in my area (Red Deer county) that the current highways maintenance provider, is apparently adverse to actually spreading sand or salt OR to even put the blade down on the trucks. Worst roads I’ve seen in 7 yrs out here. Glad I run studded tires all-round.

Well that’s ledcor for you.
Since they started, the street melts before any snow removal equipment shows up.

I say snow removal equipment because I haven’t seen a plow truck on the street in at least 5 years.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly their is no driver skill anymore or very little of it... The good old days where we would go out on the country roads and learn how to control a skid where no one was around to get hurt other than us if we messed up. First thing i do when i get in a newer car is shut of all the traction control if i can, i hate all this anti loc crap it messes me right up.. Ill stick with my older crap with very little computer add on's. Heck i used to drive my 85 yota with the big mud tires all year round and knew how to control it while people were slipping and sliding all around me. Part of getting a drivers licence should include skid control and such...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it seems to me the traffic systems are designed to annoy.

poorly timed lights have you stopping every block and all kinds of engineered bottle necks. and the 9 to 5 work system has everyone trying to go to the same place at the same time.

while the illuminati fly around in helicopters and laugh at you haha

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Winter tire fan here. Have winters all around on one front wheel drive & two 4x4 vehicles.
Bought winters for both my kids first vehicles. They noticed a big enough difference that they have had winters on every vehicle (not by me) they have bought.
These tires do not correct bad driving habits only help to get moving on snow and ice. Under hard braking the do work better but it’s drivers error that will cause accidents (too fast, too close, not paying attention, cell phone etc).
IMO winter tires out perform all season tires dramatically but the driver will be the problem :)

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winter tire fan here. Have winters all around on one front wheel drive & two 4x4 vehicles.
Bought winters for both my kids first vehicles. They noticed a big enough difference that they have had winters on every vehicle (not by me) they have bought.
These tires do not correct bad driving habits only help to get moving on snow and ice. Under hard braking the do work better but it’s drivers error that will cause accidents (too fast, too close, not paying attention, cell phone etc).
IMO winter tires out perform all season tires dramatically but the driver will be the problem :)

agreed! Tires play a big part in our daily driving habits. What I do not agree with is this must have snowflake crap on a tire. As a driver from my area that I have spent millions of km on I find most heavy lug (mud type) tire works best for me in my area.
we don’t see much compact or true winter conditions here as you guys see in Alberta, I fine a tire that moves the slush out from underneath the tire keeps me on the road. Winter tires work well on ice covered roads where compact or slick surfaces are. Just like a sled big lugs and lots of throttle gently get you going in the right direction.
Stopping is another problem, if a experienced drive can tell the road has issues then you slow down and drive accordingly, unfortunately with all the crap they dump on the roads to help the less fortunate drivers I can’t tell what the heck the road conditions are anymore.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have to comment, not so long back they never put anything on the roads, you just drove on them. Most people practiced how to recover from a slide... which they still should. If you cannot recover your are a danger on the road to everyone. But then they came out with salt or whatever that crap is. And at times it is way more slippery than anything you can emagine.. especially when your tires get choked. Studs are almost needed when this happens. Slim snot is best description.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree 100%. Winter tires give you a better chance to avoid an accident from someone who does not have proper tires and driving skills.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me personally, I run studded Duratracs in the winter as they are good in the deep snow in BC and on the icy Alberta roads with the studs. But yeah i agree with not being a fan of all this new anti slip/skid technology as I grew up learning how to drive without it and never had an accident as i was taught to learn how to control my vehicle when in a slide or skid! I also agree that this should be taught when getting your drivers license as this is very common in Canada's winters!

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me personally, I run studded Duratracs in the winter as they are good in the deep snow in BC and on the icy Alberta roads with the studs. But yeah i agree with not being a fan of all this new anti slip/skid technology as I grew up learning how to drive without it and never had an accident as i was taught to learn how to control my vehicle when in a slide or skid! I also agree that this should be taught when getting your drivers license as this is very common in Canada's winters!
Great post, love the duratracts and studded yes. Not sure if there snowflake rated but a big lug tire it is. Glad to hear you feel the same when it comes to winter tires on our side of the fence.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great post, love the duratracts and studded yes. Not sure if there snowflake rated but a big lug tire it is. Glad to hear you feel the same when it comes to winter tires on our side of the fence.
Duratracs are snowflake rated.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the guy that never needed winter tires. Always figured a good set of all season can’t much worse. Then we got my step daughter winter tires studded on her Awd dodge 1/2 ton. And wow is it crazy how they grip.

Top Bottom