Winter Quadding on sled trails

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sound like one of the club reps who was on the news last year or 2 years ago when a bunch of trucks went up Greystokes.

Show me in the motorvehicle act where it states this. I call BS. If so then there are lots of loggers/hunters/firewood gatherers who are illegally accessing the back country every fall/early winter.

I'm not condoning tired vehicles rutting up groomed trails but there's got to be shared use on the non-groomed forest roads. It is Crown land that belongs to EVERYONE in BC. Like my comment earlier it's pretty bad when we are fighting amongst ourselves (motorized users) about accessing the back country. I have a hard enough time dealing with the skiers who think they should have exclusive use of it let alone people who are supposed to be on "our" side.

Nope. not a club rep. i'll try and find it for you. i read up about it last year. the skinny of it is. once a road has not been plowed for winter driving, its considered closed to motor vehicals. if i remember right it even voids your insurance.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 years ago a couple of guys got their truck stuck on one of our trails. The guy phoned up our club VP and asked if we'd take the snow cat out and pull him out. Needless to say it didn't happen.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the snow conditions we have this year i cannot see a quad doing anymore damage than the jackasses that stop on the trail and pin it to take off. Whether they are aloud on the trails or not if they pay there trail pass.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the snow conditions we have this year i cannot see a quad doing anymore damage than the jackasses that stop on the trail and pin it to take off. Whether they are aloud on the trails or not if they pay there trail pass.

That's not entirely true because the jack*** that spins it on takeoff rips it up for a very small distance whereas the quad is chewing the trail up as far as he travels and especially on all the hills he goes up. Also 2 parallel ruts are harder to deal with than a mound of snow once in a while. Quads with tires only should not go on the groomed trails when they become snowmobile trails for a few short months. They should go on the cross country ski trails instead! ;) Just kidding.......honest!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Because of insurance issues quads are not allowed to purchase a trail pass because they are not covered on the trails. We all have rules or recomendations please follow them

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ABOUT USING SNOWMOBILES AND
AT VS ON FOREST SERVICE ROADS

No matter where you use your all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or
snowmobile, it’s likely you will be travelling on a Forest Service
road at some point.
It is important to know the rules around the use of ATVs and
snowmobiles on forest roads. An ATV may be used on a Forest
Service road at any time unless the road is posted with a sign
restricting use. An ATV operator must hold a valid driver’s
licence and carry a minimum of $200,000 third-party liability
insurance. Remember, safety helmets are mandatory when
operating two- and three-wheeled ATVs.
Snowmobiles may use a Forest Service road during winter,
provided that the road has not been snowplowed and is not fit
for travel by vehicles other than snowmobiles. Snowmobilers
using unplowed Forest Service roads should be aware that

cross-country skiers may also be using the road.

didnt know it was manditory to where helmuts. learned something new!

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
As Sledderglen said the ASA insurance plan that covers all ASA managed trails in Alberta only covers snowmobiles as defined by federal law. SSCC safety standards lay out what constitutes a snowmobile. A person can not put tracks on a quad, side-by-side or a motorcycle and call it a snowmobile. Under land owner agreements for ASA trails you CAN NOT use anything other than a true snowmobile on these trails. A person can be charged with tresspass for operating anything other than a true snowmobile on said trails .It makes me angry when I hear the stories and see the trails that quads get on and ruin for the sledders that paid for and maintain these trails. Club volunteers put hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars into maintaining and grooming the sled trails, only to have a few a**-hats come along with their wheeled OHVs and ruin it. Sad.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Sledderglen said the ASA insurance plan that covers all ASA managed trails in Alberta only covers snowmobiles as defined by federal law. SSCC safety standards lay out what constitutes a snowmobile. A person can not put tracks on a quad, side-by-side or a motorcycle and call it a snowmobile. Under land owner agreements for ASA trails you CAN NOT use anything other than a true snowmobile on these trails. A person can be charged with tresspass for operating anything other than a true snowmobile on said trails .It makes me angry when I hear the stories and see the trails that quads get on and ruin for the sledders that paid for and maintain these trails. Club volunteers put hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars into maintaining and grooming the sled trails, only to have a few a**-hats come along with their wheeled OHVs and ruin it. Sad.
Not true logging companies pipeline siezmic all use them with no concequences in the past.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true logging companies pipeline siezmic all use them with no concequences in the past.

"In the past" is correct. Things have changed now. Have a look at our club website. SRD has worked with us to try
and minimise conflicts with logging and Oil and Gas companies. It seems to be working quite well. We can always use
more help if you are interested!

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So like I said, no law saying wheeled vehicles can't use a forest road with snow, only roads signed at restricted. Only law about forest roads is snowmobiles can't ride on a plowed road. I still think quadders should stay off a clubs groomed trail but if it's not under a tenure then it's open season otherwise you're as bad as the skiers trying to get exclusive use of the back country.

ABOUT USING SNOWMOBILES AND
AT VS ON FOREST SERVICE ROADS

No matter where you use your all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or
snowmobile, it’s likely you will be travelling on a Forest Service
road at some point.
It is important to know the rules around the use of ATVs and
snowmobiles on forest roads. An ATV may be used on a Forest
Service road at any time unless the road is posted with a sign
restricting use. An ATV operator must hold a valid driver’s
licence and carry a minimum of $200,000 third-party liability
insurance. Remember, safety helmets are mandatory when
operating two- and three-wheeled ATVs.
Snowmobiles may use a Forest Service road during winter,
provided that the road has not been snowplowed and is not fit
for travel by vehicles other than snowmobiles. Snowmobilers
using unplowed Forest Service roads should be aware that

cross-country skiers may also be using the road.

didnt know it was manditory to where helmuts. learned something new!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This weekend in Westlock you had a chance to see what kind of damage quads do to snowmobile trails in the summer that affects them in the winter. At all the wet areas in the trail system trail is deep uneven ruts and holes. If the area recieved lots of snow the problem could be covered up by the groomer. We all know how much snow we get here in Central Alberta and the snow doesn`t even come close to filling in the damaged areas. What can the club do? They have permission by SRD to use the land for SNOWMOBILE TRAILS and ATVs ruin it in the summer. Same issue at Chambers Creek by Rocky Mountain House. So much damage there that the local snowmobilers gave up fixing the area to use anymore. The ATVers need to find a way to repair this damage if they continue to use snowmobile trails in the summer.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would be nice alright. can't see it happening though. Alberta just hasn't had the now in the last few years, and there is trail access all over. posting signs may help, but not likely. sledding i AB is dying fast.

we need snow big time. should be time for the farmers to start squawking for more subsidy, costs money to fly those private planes.

Last edited:

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The same problem exists west of Bearberry and Caroline. Srd has given permission to the Caroline and Sundre Snowmobile clubs to have trails on SRD land but I think those clubs are fighting a losing battle trying to keep these trails maintained after they have been damgaed by quads and four wheel drive traffic driving on them (or should I say tearing them up) in the summer time.

Billy Boy:cool:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless there is a lot of snow the quad guys can get down the trails in the winter, a nice flat sled trail has an open invite. summer well that is a free for all.

just follow that friggin mudboggin tex 78. he has no idea what a bridge is.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of the times lately atvers will stay off a snowmobile trail in the winter if explained why they should. Issue that affects most is summer use and abuse. We need some kind of solution but like ImDoin says tough to do. Sledding isnt dieing just needs some help from the government to come up with a trail use plan and a funding program for repairs and maintaince. Also a strong or present AOHVA that is commited to work with their member clubs if they have any and get the word out with proper riding habits. If possible. Quad squad in the Crowsnest Pass seem to have a working arangement but the ground is harder and rocky to help things along.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you takin passengers down to arizonna for the winter?

Top Bottom