winter classic questionable calls

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did any one watch the winter classic game ranger vs flyers and the gong show of questionable calls? The league announced today that Tortorella was fined $30,000 for speaking out on the this suggesting the league and NBC along with the refs wanted this game to go into OT. For once I have to agree with him. Glad to know it is not just the Canucks facing this bs and does show the league pulls the odd string for a different results IMO. How else could anyone explain it. No coach in any sport should have to be put in a position to speak out like this about their game. If Campbell wants to speak about 'integrity' it should start with his office, from the top down. What's with this secret faction of disciplinarians that no one can challenge? What are we in Barbaric Roman times? Campbell is the one who should be issuing an apology to all the fans who are paying money to watch the game, the players who risk their careers to entertain the paying public and the coaches who are doing there best for the games sake. Campbell should come out publicly and issue a statement and reassure all, his office will work harder with all officials to make hockey a better quality game for it's fans in the coming future. What's with this prevailing 'take it or leave it' mentality the Governing body has in hockey? Oh, and lets complain why we'll have to give away the rights to the Stanley Cup Final again this year because no one will watch it. Dancing with the stars has better ratings than hockey. Even Ray Charles could see all the missed calls in that game. No one needs Tortorella to point it out....and if you didn't notice the mistakes then, you're not watching are you.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you think the league has it out for the Canucks due to bad calls? Just about every game i've watched this year has had them and only 1 was a Canucks game so don't act like the league is out to get them (Canucks). Been some bad non-calls and calls against the Bruins but this is nothing new so why complain, it doesn't do any good anyways.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the same in Nascar. They have an appeal process in place if you don't like the penalty imposed but to my recollection no one has successfully won an appeal in the history of the sport. (54 years) And don't criticize anything in the sport......BIG fines! There are alot of similarities to each sport that's for sure.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you think the league has it out for the Canucks due to bad calls? Just about every game i've watched this year has had them and only 1 was a Canucks game so don't act like the league is out to get them (Canucks). Been some bad non-calls and calls against the Bruins but this is nothing new so why complain, it doesn't do any good anyways.

No I dont think the league has it out just for the Canucks. I strongly believe they have "preferences" who wins a particular "big game" in the interest of viewership, money, sponsorship etc etc. I watch a lot of Canuck games and yes we do get the shaft a lot. But after watching the winter game I am glad to see we are not the only ones. This one game in particular stunk with NHL influence imo. Say what you want but the calls dont lie. It is black and white!

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Complaining about it solves nothing, just makes people look like whiners when they complain. Looking forward to that Bruins/Canucks rematch on Saturday, hope they show it on tv.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
did any one watch the winter classic game ranger vs flyers and the gong show of questionable calls? The league announced today that Tortorella was fined $30,000 for speaking out on the this suggesting the league and NBC along with the refs wanted this game to go into OT. For once I have to agree with him. Glad to know it is not just the Canucks facing this bs and does show the league pulls the odd string for a different results IMO. How else could anyone explain it. No coach in any sport should have to be put in a position to speak out like this about their game. If Campbell wants to speak about 'integrity' it should start with his office, from the top down. What's with this secret faction of disciplinarians that no one can challenge? What are we in Barbaric Roman times? Campbell is the one who should be issuing an apology to all the fans who are paying money to watch the game, the players who risk their careers to entertain the paying public and the coaches who are doing there best for the games sake. Campbell should come out publicly and issue a statement and reassure all, his office will work harder with all officials to make hockey a better quality game for it's fans in the coming future. What's with this prevailing 'take it or leave it' mentality the Governing body has in hockey? Oh, and lets complain why we'll have to give away the rights to the Stanley Cup Final again this year because no one will watch it. Dancing with the stars has better ratings than hockey. Even Ray Charles could see all the missed calls in that game. No one needs Tortorella to point it out....and if you didn't notice the mistakes then, you're not watching are you.

torts mustve took his Prozac yesterday cause he sure was apologetic for his comments.

tooken from a website....

For the 2008-09 season, Bettman was paid $7.23 million by the NHL, of which $5,529,490 was his base salary. His salary has been increasing. It was $3.77 million prior to the 2004-05 lockout.

how many do you really think hes worth? haha

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Complaining about it solves nothing, just makes people look like whiners when they complain. Looking forward to that Bruins/Canucks rematch on Saturday, hope they show it on tv.

me, alone complaining will definitely not solve the problem but if more and more fans say they have had enough of these inconstancies then the NHL will have to listen. But then again I am only dreaming to even think that will happen. Anyway, yes I am also looking forward to the early game. It starts at 10:00 AM our time and will be on Sportsnet West.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My only hope is that they show it on NBC, otherwise i'm stuck watching NFL playoff football all weekend.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem the league has, is that they need to get rid of that Greasy little Man Bettman .
Problem is that Greasy little Bettman is just a mouthpiece for the owners. He does what they want and gets the big bucks to take the blame. NHL=WWF

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with Bettman. Yes I agree he is a creepy little worm but he doesn't control the officials. Its the human factor. If you had the oppertunity I think HBO's 24/7 did a really good job of depicting what takes place on the ice. You can't see everything all the time. I 100% agree there are times when you say WTF at the top of your lungs because a missed call or weak call can change the momentum of the game one way or the other. I think it has more to due with some of the rules and some of the grey area's the present. My biggest pet peeve rule is the high sticking call. Why is there a 2 or 4 min penalty if a guy get cut. If you want to eliminate the high sticking just make it a automatic 4min. Same goes for this hitting to hard crap. Seems like every big clean hit today ends in a penalty. Need to go back to basics on some of the rule changes.

Just my 2 cents

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This crap has been going on for years in the NHL, the job of the refs is to manage the game. How many times will a bad call be made against the team with a one goal lead with only minutes to go in the third period? Even though I hate the Canucks, I could not believe some of the stuff they let go in the final round of the playoffs last year. I hope the Canucks never win the cup, but it sure would be nice to see it come back to Canada at some point in time. Not going to hold my breath for that though, as long as the greasy little man is in charge!!!

Top Bottom