Winter ATV on Iron Horse Trail?

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the IHT is OK to quad on in the winter? I know the sledders use it in winter, and I assume it's OK for quads, but haven't seen any specific saying such. I know it's pretty tame, but that's what I'm looking for (slowly trying to get the better-half interested). Thanks.

Whitey Jr

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably still a little early to hit it on the quad. We tried to sled there on Sunday but the snow was getting thin the closer we got. If you want to go quading there are other places. I was thinking of quading soon before we lose all the snow.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a courtesy to sledders I would suggest not. Rutting up the trail would definitely cause some tension.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a courtesy to sledders I would suggest not. Rutting up the trail would definitely cause some tension.

Some sledders get bent about it and others are happy to share. The trail is groomed but it is designated as a multi-use trail. Just because the snowmobile clubs decide to groom it does not mean it's off limits to ATV's.

A few years ago a few of us went there. We arrived just as the groomer had finished. The snow was pretty deep and soft that year, so the groomer operator was pretty pissed about it. However, most of the other sledders though it was pretty cool that we were hard core enough to plow through snow that deep.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Aren't most areas of the IHT wide enough that quads & SxS's should be able to ride it off the groomed area? It is truly a "multi-use" trail so it's a little arrogant for sledder's to say "no quads" but at the same time the time and effort was put in to groom it for sleds and that should be respected as well.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some sledders get bent about it and others are happy to share. The trail is groomed but it is designated as a multi-use trail. Just because the snowmobile clubs decide to groom it does not mean it's off limits to ATV's.

A few years ago a few of us went there. We arrived just as the groomer had finished. The snow was pretty deep and soft that year, so the groomer operator was pretty pissed about it. However, most of the other sledders though it was pretty cool that we were hard core enough to plow through snow that deep.

I have been riding for a few decades and I have yet to meet a sledder who is cool with quads on the trails.....Not sure why you would want to wreck groomed trails with quad tires....hopefully you ride with respect to others
Yes, the IHT is a multi use trail...with snow grooming done approx Dec - March for sledding (only 4 months)....leaving approx. 8 months to rip it up with quads, etc.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding for a few decades and I have yet to meet a sledder who is cool with quads on the trails.....Not sure why you would want to wreck groomed trails with quad tires....hopefully you ride with respect to others
Yes, the IHT is a multi use trail...with snow grooming done approx Dec - March for sledding (only 4 months)....leaving approx. 8 months to rip it up with quads, etc.

Well, we talked with a bunch of them and that's how we know they were fine with it. There were a few that lectured us but most of the other sledders saw no reason why we couldn't be there.

Either way, a snowmobile club has all the right in the world to groom an ALL YEAR multi-use trail but does not have the right to claim it during the sledding season. Period. The Alberta Beach snowmobile club grooms the Stanger Hills multi-use trail as a courtesy and has absolutely no problem with ATV's using it (but only the multi-use portion of course). I also spoke to a snowmobile club exec out a the Cougar Patch by two hills and he encouraged us to use their trails all year round. I've also had offers from a club exec to ride some sort of trail system North of Edmonton as long as we bought trail passes and the trail wasn't too soft - never took him up on the offer and I'm not sure where these trails are. So yes, there are sledders out there that are able to play nice with groups other than their own.

I have only been on a designated snowmobile trail once (out of pure ignorance). Once educated, I have never done it since because I DO ride with respect towards others.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, we talked with a bunch of them and that's how we know they were fine with it. There were a few that lectured us but most of the other sledders saw no reason why we couldn't be there.

Either way, a snowmobile club has all the right in the world to groom an ALL YEAR multi-use trail but does not have the right to claim it during the sledding season. Period. The Alberta Beach snowmobile club grooms the Stanger Hills multi-use trail as a courtesy and has absolutely no problem with ATV's using it (but only the multi-use portion of course). I also spoke to a snowmobile club exec out a the Cougar Patch by two hills and he encouraged us to use their trails all year round. I've also had offers from a club exec to ride some sort of trail system North of Edmonton as long as we bought trail passes and the trail wasn't too soft - never took him up on the offer and I'm not sure where these trails are. So yes, there are sledders out there that are able to play nice with groups other than their own.

I have only been on a designated snowmobile trail once (out of pure ignorance). Once educated, I have never done it since because I DO ride with respect towards others.

magic word in there Dean...... Respect........ not entitlement.

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Ya this was some of what I was worried about. Don't want to piss a bunch of local sledders off. Especially just to ride a bit of the IHT. Just not worth it. \

Wild, this Sunday is already booked for me. What about next weekend?

Whitey

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Ya this was some of what I was worried about. Don't want to piss a bunch of local sledders off. Especially just to ride a bit of the IHT. Just not worth it. \

Wild, this Sunday is already booked for me. What about next weekend?

Whitey
Yeah maybe. I have sunday and mondays off. Keep in touch we will figure something out.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go next weekend with a few people, maybe Vega, maybe Cougar Patch, maybe south of Rocky. The more the merrier. PM me if you're interested riding next Sat or Sun.

seabass23

Reaction score
Gonna revive this thread from last year. February again and the weather is great. I assume there isn't much snow on the IHT. I was thinking about hauling the quad up to Smokey Lake this weekend. Can any locals confirm if the quads are out on the trail?

(I know it's a multi-use trail and I plan to be respectful of any grooming that was done for sleds.)

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Gonna revive this thread from last year. February again and the weather is great. I assume there isn't much snow on the IHT. I was thinking about hauling the quad up to Smokey Lake this weekend. Can any locals confirm if the quads are out on the trail?

(I know it's a multi-use trail and I plan to be respectful of any grooming that was done for sleds.)

A buddy of mine, and his riding group all rode the IHT 2 weekends ago. Quads and RZR's. No issues whatsoever.

Top Bottom