winch trouble?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is strange that I am in this thread as it has been quite awhile. My winch has quit working. Just all of a sudden stop; no in nor out.

I have changed the controller and it didn't make any difference. To test the winch motor, can I hook booster cables to the battery, positive to postive, etc. and then the ground to a ground and the positive to one side of the winch. It should spin one way? If I hook the positive to the other side, it should spin the other way?

If it doesn't spin, is the winch motor hooped?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It is strange that I am in this thread as it has been quite awhile. My winch has quit working. Just all of a sudden stop; no in nor out.

I have changed the controller and it didn't make any difference. To test the winch motor, can I hook booster cables to the battery, positive to postive, etc. and then the ground to a ground and the positive to one side of the winch. It should spin one way? If I hook the positive to the other side, it should spin the other way?

that is the best way to test the motor for sure Doug.

If that works, then its probably the fuse that puts the power thru your control switch on the handlebars.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
that is the best way to test the motor for sure Doug.

If that works, then its probably the fuse that puts the power thru your control switch on the handlebars.

That was quick kind sir. Thanks. It will be interesting to see if I can just buy the motor instead of a new winch.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was quick kind sir. Thanks. It will be interesting to see if I can just buy the motor instead of a new winch.

If it's a Warn RT25, I might have a used motor for you that I might be willing to let go for a hundred bones or so.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Runva winch pretty cheap, (if needed) just keep all your controls and exchange winch.... Neville seems to like these.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the end cover off the motor and have a look Doug. Lots of times the commutator just gets gunked up and needs a good cleaning. Or worn brushes maybe.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did all of the above (well not quite all of suggestions) and then decided on a new winch. 3500# Warn with synthetic rope, all the mounting brackets, electrics, and remote for $200 + GST. Cervus in Pincher had one on the shelf and apparently the newer ones won't fit the older quads so they gave me a sweet deal to get rid of their last one. It was my lucky day!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

don't even pull it apart, brand new runva with all the controls, fairled, snatch block etc. $115. at your door.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did all of the above (well not quite all of suggestions) and then decided on a new winch. 3500# Warn with synthetic rope, all the mounting brackets, electrics, and remote for $200 + GST. Cervus in Pincher had one on the shelf and apparently the newer ones won't fit the older quads so they gave me a sweet deal to get rid of their last one. It was my lucky day!

That is a smokin deal !! You should buy a lottery ticket lol

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$200 for a Warn winch is one hell of a deal if it is a current Model. Just out of curiosity, is it an RT35?

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
We've got non-current 1500lb - 4500lb Polaris Warn winches on sale right now for $200.00, the mount included may not be for your machine but mounts are available aftermarket for $80.00 - $100.00 which still a great deal!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A big thanks to Ferniesnow who gave me his old winch for parts.
Another big hearted snow and mudder. It was nice to put a face to the name.
Thanks Doug

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It fit like a charm. doorfx was thinking I needed the mounting plates but the new winch had everything inclusive. It is a 3500# fitting full size Sportsman models from 2005-2009.

Installed and driveway plowed in time for the better half to go to work. Brownie points for that deed :D

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Bingo,,,,,,,,,

Top Bottom