Winch install

Drako99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone install a winch on a Rzr before? Wondering if I can save myself 3 hours labour charges at the shop and do it myself.... anything I should be concerned about? Or best leave it up to the guys at the shop?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never did it on a rzr but I would think you could handle it if you have a slight bit of mechanical ability. I did it on my Sportsman and after a few nights and beers after work it was installed. I have worked on my dads ranger and I actually like working on that maybe a little better due to the fact it is a bigger machine and stuff doesnt seem so packed tight and close. The rzr should have the winch contactor cables ran already so all you should have to do is put the switch in, mount the winch and contactor box, and connect wires.

The thing I liked about doing it myself is not only do I get to learn my machine better but the job gets done the way I want it to. Example: I shortened my wires going from the winch to the contactor box instead of just wading them up behind something and have them rubbing. Also heat shrunk the ends on the wires, and used di-electric grease in the plug for the switch and also smeared Anti-sieze on all the electrical studs to prevent corrosion. Stuff I wouldnt have gotten from the dealer, but I think will help make it more weather proof and cleaner for working on.

dodge1

Reaction score
[You would think the price you paid for it, They would have give you a winch, or a roof, or even a windsheild! Maybe you should have look at the commander. All said and done, your price of your RZR will cost you as much as the limited! And it is 1000.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a viper winch on my rzr. Wasn't a big deal just really tight getting all the bolts in place as there isn't a lot of space to work with. Think it took me about an hour or so to get it installed and the wires ran, split loom on everything.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really easy to do yourself. Should take a max of 2 hours. One thing I can say is mount the roller fairlead last. The instructions say to do it first but when you do that you can't get to a couple of the other bolts.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do it yourself, much cheaper. You will swear but well worth it'

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought swearing was the first thing listed in the instructions, and if it isn't it should be!

Drako99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got it done and took awhile but it felt good doing it myself

Drako99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. After installing the winch plate that came with the winch and get it all almost done only to realize that that specific plate wasn't needed. And then had to undo and redo everything I had just done

Top Bottom