Wierd Diamond drive question

Samuel

Reaction score
so i have took my dd apart three times this year first time cleaned it up and changed oil second time just to check all the gears to make sure it was good before season but i didnt get all the oil inside and didnt get good seal on the cover so i took it apart again yesterday and when i was trying to pull the cover off it seemed extra stiff so when i got it apart the second gear that can be removed that goes into the planetary was cock-eyed in where the small bearing fits in on the cover and im just wondering is it because i shoved that cover on the second time or can that gear not sit right inside... i just do not want to be ripping around and it to blow apart. (also after i put it all back together i ran it with the track up and went to about 50 km/h just to see if it was all right and the track still moves freely by hand)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i have took my dd apart three times this year first time cleaned it up and changed oil second time just to check all the gears to make sure it was good before season but i didnt get all the oil inside and didnt get good seal on the cover so i took it apart again yesterday and when i was trying to pull the cover off it seemed extra stiff so when i got it apart the second gear that can be removed that goes into the planetary was cock-eyed in where the small bearing fits in on the cover and im just wondering is it because i shoved that cover on the second time or can that gear not sit right inside... i just do not want to be ripping around and it to blow apart. (also after i put it all back together i ran it with the track up and went to about 50 km/h just to see if it was all right and the track still moves freely by hand)

They get a little sticky from time to time but the larger drive gear will not mesh properly with the planetary if the bearing is cock eyed against the cover (I know exactly what you are referring too). it might have just got stuck that way when you pulled it off. Did you take it right out of the sled or try this with the DD in the sled? Best thing to do when servicing is take the DD right out of the sled, makes it easy to dry the seal halves with a rag, bolt up the cover and twist both the input and output shafts to get the gears to line up together. I would take it right out of the sled, turn it cover side up, pop cover off and double check, dry out seal and re-install gears together, make sure they all mesh and turn free, then put cover back one and tighten down. This way you don't have to replace the oil again (it all stays in the case) and you can see if there was any damage to the gears. If no damage to the case or chipped teeth on the gears then all is probably OK.

Top Bottom