WI FI IP cameras

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got myself a Dlink camera that is wireless to the network in my house and I can view it over an IP address when I am away from home. The camera also has motion detection feature that will snap a photo and E-mail it to me.

Does anyone else use anything similar to this and what are your experiences with it? Seen anything unusual?

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it but know my laptop has that capability. Its technology thats been around for awhile, however not used widely. In Bosnia a few years back one of the guys in my camp had his computer setup to view over IP, turned it on one day and found his wife on the couch, sans clothes with someone other than him........

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's apps on most smartphones to view networked camera on your phone. Wifi ip cameras are a great idea, but hooking them up to a dvr is the best way since it records and stores up to 3 months of continual activity. Also ip cameras are very expensive.
Better scrolling through a dvr, than filling your inbox full of event reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my cameras at Best Buy for $98.00 a piece. I think that is a reasonable price.
I am not sure how they could be connected through a DVR?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh that is a very good price. Some I've seen are up around the $500 range. And I don't know how you'd hook them up to one either, as on a CCTV camera, you just connect the bnc into the back of the dvr, then network the dvr. I'm sure there are ways though.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ohh that is a very good price. Some I've seen are up around the $500 range. And I don't know how you'd hook them up to one either, as on a CCTV camera, you just connect the bnc into the back of the dvr, then network the dvr. I'm sure there are ways though.

it's the same idea, you just need to have a DVR that supports IP camera's, this works better with wired IP camera's than wireless, I've never had the opportunity to play with 802.11 camera's and a DVR.

Top Bottom